Page 101 of 232 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2317

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Welcome to lightweight snubs :-) Assuming it's from the cylinder release, like a Smith J frame, locking the right hand thumb down helps. Light recoil ammo like mid-range wadcutters helps even more. A good set of wraparound grips can alleviate too. I've had more than one airweight J draw blood with full power standard pressure ammo...
    It’s actually where my hand meets the grip. I think it’s the rubber grip sticking to me and tearing at the skin a bit when it moves under recoil, if that makes sense. I may also have been pinching my skin against it with the clamp grip I was using, which wouldn’t help. Grip is something I’m going to need to work on a lot with a gun this light. Ammo was mostly light handloads but also a good amount of factory FMJ that was stouter.

The cylinder release is happily not an issue. That’s probably the biggest benefit of the LCR for me. I haven’t shot a J frame that doesn’t drive that large, sharp release into my thumb regardless of grip. No issues there with the Ruger. Ergonomically it works much better for me all around.

I bought this last week as a pocket gun for when I don't want to carry my EZ-9. It's smaller and fits in my pocket. It's a Walther P 22 and I like it but am not in love with it yet.

Groups well but too many jams. I've read everything and watched an enormous amount of videos on the Walther and most say it's The Gun to buy but has some flaws. The biggest is the jamming problem but they do address the problem and now that I know mine has that does that I know I need to do some tender polishing of the hammer and feed ramp.

I shot Mini Mags, CCI-SV and Velocitors through the gun today. The Velocitors and the SV worked great but I had 4 jams with the Mini Mags ( The Ammo Recommended For Breaking In).

When I got home I did a complete clean and lube. I also replaced the front sight with a green fiber optic. Hopefully this will become a pistol worth carrying but for now ... not so much.

Once again from yesterday's range trip, not today's. (How you guys find the time to hang out on a web forum during range days I'll never figure out. ) I've had this Argentinian High Power clone for quite a while, but for years now it's been my loaner pistol - I've actually personally shot less than half of the rounds this thing has sent downrange. (One of the issues in our country is that new shooters have a really hard time getting their own guns. And at one point my girlfriend just kept on borrowing this gun instead of getting her own 9mm fixed. So after a while I just designated that pistol as the loaner.) Since we wanted to do something a little different to celebrate girlfriends holiday, taking a couple of old school single action pistols to the range instead of the standard plastic framed guns we tend to shoot the most seemed like a good idea.

Name:  IMG_20210618_191603.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  85.9 KB

According to the all-knowing Internet, single action guns are easy to shoot and double actions dificult, but this thing with its heavy trigger pull* and thin trigger really made me miss my Beretta. That is, until I discovered a trick. By shooting against the clock and sprinting 10 meters to the shooting position, somehow the bullet holes started to accumulate in the center of the target as I intended them to.

( * I just can't get the trigger pivot pin to move out of the gun. It's been wailed on with a punch and hammer pretty hard, on both sides of the gun just to make sure I didn't try to push it the wrong way, and it ain't budging. So the magazine disconnect is still in place.)

I've been thinking about getting an actual FN MkIII High Power for years now (if I could just find one, preferably for a ridiculously low price). On the other hand, that Argentinian slab sided pistol is kind of neat in that it's unusual for a High Power, so on the other hand I'm thinking if perhaps I should find a gun smith who could build that into a nice custom piece... Take away all the sharp edges, fix the trigger pull, make the safety smoother, install proper sights, really turn it into a 1911esque joy to shoot. Of course, if I did that, then what would I let people who don't have their own guns shoot?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I traded my spare 9x19 STI Trojan that had not been shot for five years for a S&W Victory Performance Center with a six-inch threaded carbon fiber barrel, a compensator, and a Vortex Viper 6-MOA red dot sight. The owner said the pistol has been function tested, but the battery was installed in the sight upside down. So the only function testing could have been the gun cycling.

Got the battery installed properly, proved the sight was fine, and tried it on a target. More than one foot low at fifteen yards. As in hitting the ground well before the target. Got the sight adjusted most of the way, shot a few groups to validate the rough zero, used a buddy's bore sight to get it zeroed at fifty yards, and then put forty rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through it this morning at twenty-five yards to check the zero.

It is a pretty interesting pistol in that the Belgium Browning Nomad/Challenger/Medallist is the design parent. Everything from the barrel attachment to the magazine design to the controls feel like the old Brownings. That is a plus. The matte stainless is also a plus. The pistol is light enough to move fast and is easy to stop on steel spinner racks. The compensator did not loosen during any of my range sessions

There are some negatives. The first round I fired failed to extract the case from the chamber. I could not get it out of the barrel until I used a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. I decided to deep clean the barrel in case a carbon ring was an issue. Afterwards the barrel had no issues with the plunk test and live fire did not duplicate the failure to extract.

The PC trigger, quite frankly, is abysmal for a target pistol with way too much pre-travel and too much over travel. The trigger encourages snatching, which does not result in consistent results on target. I will probably add the Tandemkross trigger which inspired the S&W PC trigger and remove the magazine safety when it is time to detail strip the pistol. I also had a few stoppages, with empties extracted from the chamber and caught between the bolt and ejection port. That seems to be a common "break in" issue, so I used a little more lube, repeatedly cycled the slide, and then removed the extra lube. It is also possible the sheet metal ejector needs to be tweaked as it is all too easy to bend. The magazine release spring is too light, allowing the magazine to accidentally be ejected. The pistol does eject the magazine with authority, so there is no doubt when the magazine has been inadvertently dropped.

All in all, a fun .22. If one does not have a .22, this is not a bad choice. If one is invested in one of the other .22 pistols, like the Ruger Standard/Mark or the Browning Buck Mark, there is very little to distinguish the Victory. If I was not an inveterate rimfire shooter, I likely would not have made the trade.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    ( * I just can't get the trigger pivot pin to move out of the gun. It's been wailed on with a punch and hammer pretty hard, on both sides of the gun just to make sure I didn't try to push it the wrong way, and it ain't budging. So the magazine disconnect is still in place.
    FWIW When the chief instructor/ armorer/ HiPower aficionado at my first agency inspected my MkII BHP prior to letting me qualify with it he suggested removing the disconnect. All he did was remove the roll pin in the trigger itself and the spring and plunger popped into the magazine well. No trigger removal required. 35 years later it’s still so configured.

As for shooting, yesterday my wife, father in law and I shot 100 rounds each at sporting clays. They used respectable O/U shotguns, I used Thing 2.

Name:  577838BE-FE1F-47A2-859A-CAF6A96A068A.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    FWIW When the chief instructor/ armorer/ HiPower aficionado at my first agency inspected my MkII BHP prior to letting me qualify with it he suggested removing the disconnect. All he did was remove the roll pin in the trigger itself and the spring and plunger popped into the magazine well. No trigger removal required.
    Nope. First thing I tried, and in fact in my picture you can see the hole in the trigger where the pin used to be. I guess those Argentine clones are built a bit differently, but the disconnect isn't going anywhere without removing the trigger.

Tried out a new-to-me Yugoslavian M57 Tokarev in 7.62x25. HEAVY trigger and tiny sights. Surprisingly, I shot it fairly well considering the trigger and sights. It was a whole lot of fun though. Zero drop at 50 yards. Gonna try it at 100 next time, after I work on the trigger and drift the rear sight as the POI was about 4 inches to the left at 15 yards.

Site Supporter
    Gen 4 G17 in an IDPA match. My standard match gun nowadays. New club for me, nice friendly folks.

Tikka T3x 30-06 with Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 BRH. I am confident I can hit a B8 at 200 yds standing off shooting sticks 95% of the time.

CZ 550 Safari .375 H&H with a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 with a firedot. I am confident I can hit a B8 at 200 yds... 60% of the time, it works every time.

These two guns are the only guns I've been shooting for the last couple of months

It was 116 degrees today. Fuck it was hot. I figure if I can hit it in this heat, I will nail it in 75 degree weather.

Site Supporter
    Shot the work 320 and messed with the standard P365.

Name:  92A4211B-3BF6-43C2-B354-5CA434EE3ABE.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  44.1 KB

All steel today

Name:  C34A5E36-A8C7-476C-BF59-0A8417618E71.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  82.2 KB

Dug out the Remington 597 as well. The 597 is picky about ammo and works best with 9 rounds in the 10 round mag but it shoots well. The AMC timer had issues picking up the 22 rifle fire.

Name:  608E0826-78A7-4498-9289-FE2CB46ECCBF.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  44.7 KB

User Tag List