Page 99 of 231 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Absolutely great day at the range yesterday with my good friend and numero uno training partner. First time firing rounds since Dot Torture at an indoor range in early December.

We started by shooting a cold Bill Drill followed immediately by FAST...and I know I'm preaching to the choir here...but what truly fantastic drills for pure assessment of one's current skill level, fekkin' humbling, too.

I do a few presentations from concealment with my 26.5 every morning and several later every evening and was pretty pleased with my performance from the holster to first shot on 3x5 index cards. What was painfully evident, was that since I rarely carry a reload, it took my brain waaay too long to remind me to actually perform one after the first two rounds of every mf'ing FAST. The mechanics of my reload were solid with nary a bobble, but the delay was a serious time killer.

I also realized just how deeply I've hardwired my hands to roll over the top of the slide like a malf clearance to release it on a reload. Even when I'd mentally walk through the FAST before running it live, I'd forget all about thumbing the slide release and roll over the top every single time. I don't necessarily view this as a bad thing, but it sure doesn't help a FAST score.

It was my buddy's first chance to fire his new 43X, all rounds were fired from Shield 15rd mags and he'd installed the metal mag release as well. I'm not compelled to ditch my 26 for a 43X, but it's a fact that my bro can draw it faster from AIWB than I can my 26 from IWB...I've still got him on first shot accuracy though.

We also shot the G30.4 he'd purchased from a P-F'er and that's just an absolutely lovely way to launch .45acp's. Ridiculously comfortable in the Raven VG2 w/wing and belt clip I'd brought for him to borrow, more so than either a 19 or 26 in the same set up.

Final notes: G19's are still easier for us to shoot well than a 26.5 or 43X...duh...and a .22LCR is a phenomenal training tool.

That is all.

Site Supporter
    Stock Glock 17 in my third USPSA match. After a year and half off, I'm slow. Majority of Alphas, a few Charlies. Should have done better on the Texas Star as I need a few extra shots. Moving between targets - it's a stroll. Bad knees, back, blah, blah. However, the people are fine, the day was gorgeous and I had a good time.

One guy's PCC was a jammer. Another shot so fast, he forgot a whole array of targets. Not that I ever did that (ahem!).

Might shoot my Ruger 9mm PCC one of these days.

PS - ammo used was 124 gr FMJ Red Arm Standard.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-30-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Confirmed zero / alignment with Gold Dot 124+p at 50 yards and 10-8 .140 RS paired with a Night Fision FS on the P30 v1.

Good start, I'll confirm several more times under various light and call it good.

Name:  20210530_155236.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  28.8 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Awaiting cleaning yesterday morning after a snub Saturday at the range:

Name:  20210530_051532.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  63.8 KB

Manurhin MR73 3" - really wish I'd brought more ammo. I was just getting dialed in with it when the ammo ran out. Trying to be conservative with the ammo stash though. Should have got a pic of the first cylinder of the trip. Seven yards, five inch circle. Perfectly cutting the outer line of the target, and almost map perfect, placed shots north, south, east, west, and then two dead center and touching. Would have been a well plotted compass cross. Stepson asks 'did you mean to do that?' What could I do but lie: 'yes...yes, I did...' :-)

Colt 1917 Fitz clone. I'd forgotten how much fun this old thing is. Massive, impractical, and absolutely destroys a target with those big .45 ACP holes.

Smith and Wesson Model 38. Lazy day carry revolver. Glad to find we're still simpatico. Not back to where I want to be, after the Covid shooting pause of the last year, but the Bodyguard is still viable. Yay!
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Well, it was yesterday, but... A paper target.

With this guy.

Name:  IMG_20210531_195720.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  40.7 KB

I got my new front sight installed onto my Winchester 94 on May 9th. Promptly right after that day, ie. on the 21st, I did my first attempt at zeroing the gun. It was a disaster. Took me three tries to get the target to stay put in the stiff arse wind, of the first five round string of fire three rounds nicked the very left edge of the target, and at that point I realized that I had left the appropriate tools at home. So yay, that went well.

Yesterday was attempt number two. Gave the front sight what I would call a medium strength whack with my custom sight adjustment tool (a quarter inch punch with a piece of shrink tube fixed into place with electrical tape for cushioning, and a non-marring hammer). Shot three rounds, got a 6 that was probably my fault and two 9's on the left side of the target. Okay, a light whack on the sight and now three rounds gets me... An 8, a 9 and one almost exact dead center hit. Looks promising, so I fill up the magazine and...

Name:  IMG_20210531_204540.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  38.3 KB

I think it's zeroed now. (I'm claiming the almost 8 at 8 o'clock a shooter induced error.) Not perhaps the greatest feat of marksmanship, but with a gun designed in 1894, with revolver cartridges, at 100 meters... (And the trigger pull on that gun is pretty stiff! Not designed for this kind of shooting.) That'll do for me.

After all the hassle I had previously, I still can't believe how painless the zeroing process was. My only source of puzzlement was with how far off the POI was despite my trying to be careful and center the front sight in its dovetail when installing it. Until I got home yesterday, took the gun out of its bag, looked at it and realized... The rear sight is visibly off to one side. So no bloody wonder the front sight has to be, too.

Oh well, got the old girl zeroed now, that's the important thing. Next time we'll get to have some real fun!

Made a range trip yesterday and shot the new to me Trooper MKIII, brand new 92X GR, P-07 with .22 conversion and the Ruger MKI. Only got a shot of the Trooper at the range since it was packed but got some beauty shots of the 07 and 92X last night playing with the light box.

Name:  7AF716D9-81D8-4163-801B-30AEAD938A84.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  CA03D0F9-D10B-4A29-8609-D46F61BA7E00.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  45.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A young buck picked a fight with me while I was failing to tweak the Blue Streak's sights low enough to have a dead center hold rather than the current six O'clock with the heavy Benjamin soup cans. I stalked into the foliage and posted in a Slav squat waiting for him to reappear from the retaining wall. The twenty caliber pellet caught him about at the ear at 3/4 power, traveled down his neck, passed his shoulder blade, and exited jest behind his offside front quarter. He flopped, twitched for a second, and is now laid out at the tree line for the neighbor's cat.

Still need to cap the woodchuck. Checking the wall, it's gotta go ASAP.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Painted my AR and got it dialed in "close enough" on steel. Still need to get a little tighter zero past 50 yards. Looks cool though, and that's all that matters.

Name:  u2ss2wm024071.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  kz3blxm024071.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  80zjiwm024071 (1).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  40.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Replaced the Dawson red front FO/plain rear sights on one of my P99Cs with a Night Fision red tritium front/Dawson plain rear set. I needed the widest Dawson rear (.145) because the front sight is huge...which isn't a bad thing. I took it to the range to zero it and was about 2" left at ten yards. I loosened the set screw, moved the rear sight a skosh (technical term) to the right, and the rounds were dead on. Six rounds to zero it - that doesn't happen often. I used Winchester NATO-spec 124-grain FMJ to zero it and verified it with my carry load, 124-grain +P HST.

I then did my worst Dot Torture in a long time. The Walther has a decent trigger, but I've been shooting K frames lately and I'm spoiled. I'm going back to the range again tomorrow if possible. I need to un-eff myself. Plus I'm planning on using that Walther in John Murphy's class this weekend.

Site Supporter
    Some practice with the RRA polymer 1911. This was my first five shots at 20 yards on a B3. The next five were...not as awesome sadly. Later, when I was warmed up, I shot another 5 at 20 yards and got afflicted with the snatchies.

Not bad for an entry level 1911 tho.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List