Page 69 of 232 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

More training for work today. Hopefully sometime soon it'll have a red dot. 92A1/TLR1 HL combo

Name:  8309F77F-6669-43C5-9874-D05DDE62CCF6.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  43.8 KB

Last night I took the Remington 783 223 out for some load testing using Norma brass and Remington 7.5BR primers. Left load- 55 grain Varmint Nightmare/H322, Right load- 69 Nosler CC/8208XBR. Playing with OAL yielded some interesting results. The 69 NCC loaded to 2.25" was more accurate than loaded to 2.30". One would have thought closer to the lands would be better.

I have had a couple failures to fire in the last couple sessions and am wondering if the harder primer cups could be a reason. 2nd or 3rd strike will typically light them off.

Name:  20200624_110420_resize_80.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  83.1 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Last night I took the Remington 783 223 out for some load testing using Norma brass and Remington 7.5BR primers. Left load- 55 grain Varmint Nightmare/H322, Right load- 69 Nosler CC/8208XBR. Playing with OAL yielded some interesting results. The 69 NCC loaded to 2.25" was more accurate than loaded to 2.30". One would have thought closer to the lands would be better.

I have had a couple failures to fire in the last couple sessions and am wondering if the harder primer cups could be a reason. 2nd or 3rd strike will typically light them off.

Name:  20200624_110420_resize_80.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  83.1 KB
    I’ve had more issues with Remington primers over the years than all others combined so it may not be the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’ve had more issues with Remington primers over the years than all others combined so it may not be the rifle.
    Good to know. My issues started with two failures a few weeks ago with Fiocchi magnum small rifle primers. I had the Remingtons on the shelf and decided to try them. Only one failure to fire but it has me scratching my head. Next step is to pull the bolt apart and clean/lube.

Breaking in my Roland Special. It doesn’t like Wolf 115 in Magpul mags. But ran like a scalded dog with the wolf in factory mags. Those polymer mags must have some extra drag compared to the factory metal lining.

Name:  942E030B-B7CD-4330-9B4F-6005964C3167.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  73.6 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

This. Remington is one of the last brands of rifle or pistol ammo I would buy. Shotgun ammo I haven’t had any issues with.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Last night I took the Remington 783 223 out
    Other than the odd FTFires, how do you like the 783? I keep thinking I need an inexpensive bolt action that could turn into an expensive project.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Other than the odd FTFires, how do you like the 783? I keep thinking I need an inexpensive bolt action that could turn into an expensive project.
    I'm pretty happy with it and I have owned almost all of the budget 223 rifles-

Ruger American Ranch- I liked the action and it had a decent trigger. The stock, magazine, and accuracy were terrible.

Mossberg MVP Varmint- Good stock, great accuracy, decent trigger, sloppy action. It uses AR mags but mine wouldn't feed reliably, probably because of the action.

Remington 700- I've owned quite a few of these, the cheapest being the SPS Tactical and they all shot well. I set one up as a Remage and like all the aftermarket stuff available for it.

I've not owned any Savages but I hear good and bad.

Howa Mini Action Heavy Barrel- Fun little gun and I would rate it about the same as the 783, giving the edge to the 783 because of the stronger action.

The 783 has a decent stock, really nice magazine, good accuracy, and an acceptable trigger. If I were to buy another, I would get the newer Tactical model with the shorter barrel.

Site Supporter
    I am having issues with Remington Small Pistol primers in 9mm. About 1 in 100 won't fire in multiple 9mm pistols. Using up the Rem SPs for practice and using Federal SPs for competition, etc.

User Tag List