Page 107 of 232 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2317

Thread: What did you shoot today?

I checked the zero on a couple squirrel rifles

Name:  37EDA086-4F72-44EF-A033-8024E36B14A9.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  42.0 KB
    Ruger American Rimfire compact in 22 mag, Leupold 2-7. The ammo was 50 grain Federal in the top group, the left one is CCI 40 grain. (Both are five shot groups)

Name:  F8138760-D57D-4027-ABC2-926DE280A10F.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  47.6 KB

My other RAR compact in 22 LR with CCI Mini Mags. I also shot a group with Remington Subsonic that was on for windage and about an inch lower. I’ve not shot this one much but plan on working with it more.

Name:  4472D5D0-A24C-4FCD-A96E-E9511034FA9D.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  26.8 KB

In July I got a good deal on a used M&P Bodyguard. This is a magazine of the new Hydra Shok Federal
    load at 4 yards. Little pocket pistols are fairly new to me (long time J frame guy) but so far I like it.

Name:  F9544DB7-0B71-42C1-B88D-3E68D1210810.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  41.1 KB

Rangemaster drill of the month with my daily carry M&P40 2.0C. I’ve been retired almost two months and have been neglecting pistol practice, need to put more time on that, dry and live.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Sorry in advance the pics came out so crappy... issue with my friend's cell phone.

Last few days off before I start rotating w/ hospital medicine floor team which I am low key dreading. Friend from grad school pitched range trip with a friend of her's I'd gone shooting with before so I figured why not. She drove so saved on gas and hassle, I paid it forward in ammo (I did make sure to bring only steel case... it isn't 2019 anymore!)

Brought a selection of Glocks with Dots plus my 9mm can and a couple ARs. They both brought personally owned own iron sighted handguns (she had an M&P 9 Shield and he had a a CZ P07 + some sort of 1911 and then an M&P Sport w/a SIG branded red dot).

They were both pretty blown away by their immediately improved performance the second I put a pistol with a red dot in their hand. I told them that was exactly how I felt the first time I shot a handgun with a dot on it and thats why I own so many now. I also gave them both some fairly simple tips on fundamentals of marksmanship that immediately yielded performance improvement with their iron sighted handguns as well. They were extremely impressed + grateful for the tips.

The AimSurplus G17 slide + parts kit - my dedicated suppressor host - continues to prove itself an exceptional value. I basically only shoot wolf or similar crappy 115 gr through it and even with the can it functions just like any other glock. I think I paid $250 or so for the slide and their (non OEM) parts kit minus the barrel, comes milled for RMR/503c from factory. The cerakote is actually quite nice and the slide reciprocates very cleanly and it just plain shoots without drama. The Holosun mounted on it is similarly another gem - paid $175 or so for a used one that shit the bed, HS replaced it with a new model no questions asked. Has held zero just fine, very useable optic.

I shot a mag through the P07 and was reminded that they are extremely nice guns for the money. We didn't shoot the ARs much but they were tickled by the variable mag on the Meopta 1-4. My friend who drove is the smaller female in the photos and purchased the Shield for CCW purposes and I am pretty certain I cost her about $500 in milling fees and a Holosun 507k + S&H.

Shot maybe a little more of ammo than my hoarding brain would have liked, but I won't get out much more this year and besides, money can't buy a good day at the range with friends. Especially rewarding whenever I can do some teaching on high yield pointers. Nothing like seeing a night and day difference from one magazine to the next.

Also: never miss the chance to rock some P-F orange at the range

Last edited by Nephrology; 09-04-2021 at 08:33 PM.

First time I shot a pistol for like 2 months. Glock 45 with Mayhem Syndicate comp and H507 and Colt Double Eagle .45!

Spent an hour at the indoor range this afternoon. The plan was to try out the 22/45 Lite upper I picked up off the Volquartsen clearance page last week, shoot a new to me semi-custom SA 1911 and shoot my 92X-GR in flat backstrap configuration against a my Grandfather's old (late 80s-early 90s) PT92AF (the closest I can get to a 92FS right now since I don't currently have one).

The Lite ran OK with CCI SV. I probably should have brought some Mini-Mags for the break in but I mostly shoot SV so that's what I was trying to sight in. Got some nice 2-3 shot clusters offhand at 7 and 10 yards but I couldn't get consistent with my grip.

In fact, the only consistency I had the whole time was shooting like crap across the board.

After the Lite I went to the TRP for some .45 warm up before breaking out the new SA. Threw the first shot high, strung the next 4 diagonally across a 5" circle offhand at 7 yards. With the new SA I was consistently high then low. First shot high outside the 5" circle, the next shot at the bottom, the next three somewhere vaguely near the middle (I was doing 5 round strings). Tried both a second time with pretty similar results. I wasn't even trying to shoot to a cadence, this was all slow fire confirming sight picture and grip before firing (or at least trying to before frustration set in).

Next was a 5 shot string from the PT92 and I kept all 5 in the 5" circle offhand at 7 yards. I was using the Lucky Gunner 5x5 target and shot the PT92 at the bottom target. Next was the 92X which I seemed to do pretty good with the first two times I had it at the range. I pulled all 5 rounds low. As in right next to the bottom target low. A second string of 5 with both had me all over both targets.

At that point I went back to the 22/45 and went through a box of 50 just trying to get my mind right and fiddling with the sights. By that time they asked if I wanted to extend my time because my hour was almost up. I decided against throwing anymore money downrange and headed home.

I was so disgusted I didn't even bother to take pics.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Name:  IMG_20210906_155431.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  26.3 KB
    25 yards DA

Did a lot of weak hand only shooting.

My forearm had a killer pump

Did a day trip over the river to shoot with my dad. He had very generously gifted me the Ed Brown EVO I carry (top) because it just didn’t agree with him. He’s since replaced it with a Executive Carry II in .45 (bottom). It turns out we both shoot that gun extremely well - it has that unquantifiable “something” that some guns just have for some people. He shot it better than his full size Les Baer, and I did better with it than my full size Kimber (about equal to the EVO except for the major recoil difference). These are the only Browns I’ve shot, so maybe they just work for me in general. Really nice gun either way.

Name:  09AF3BFD-BAEB-4C39-B68D-1EA045516E94.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  58.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  IMG_20210906_155431.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  26.3 KB
    25 yards DA

Did a lot of weak hand only shooting.

My forearm had a killer pump
    You shot him right in the suicide vest. Good thing you were 25 yards away.

Site Supporter
    I had a rare chance to go to the range BY MYSELF yesterday. Wife went to visit a friend, kids had their own plans. Seems lately that every time I tell the family I'm going shooting, somebody, usually several somebodies, wants to come along. I'm not complaining, I enjoy the company, but, I've been wanting to spend some alone time with my only-shot-twice Gen5 G19 with RDS. Get the site zeroed in. Check out the modular back-straps. Figure out why I suck shooting it. Work on shooting the dot and not the BUIS.

Going to the indoor range on a holiday is always a test of patience. I registered for a private lane using their electronic queue, which gave me an estimated wait time of 18 minutes. It took me ~20 minutes to get there and of course I waited another hour for a lane, being second in line when I arrived. Holidays. They offered me a regular lane when I arrived, but, no thanks. Too many holiday n00bs. Although, I didn't see too many safety violations watching the regular lanes through the waiting room glass. Four teenage girls being managed in 2 lanes by an older guy who had his hands full. A party of 3 that I gave a maglula lesson to through the glass.

The private bays here are shared backstops but with solid walls in between each shooter (vs divider panels in the regular lanes), and a back entry door. I walked into my room and BOOM!. Someone is shooting something big and loud in the next bay. Loud enough that I had to step out and double up on earpro.

I spent ~30 minutes tweaking the dot zero, using a hand rest. After that, without the rest, I found myself shooting low and left. Turning the gun sideways, I see that my trigger finger is running into the trigger guard at a downward angle, as if my hand is too high on the gun. I had played around with the various backstrap pieces at home and thought the best fit for me would be the size large without the beaver-tail. At the end of the day, I'm using the medium with the beaver-tail. So much for dry fire and back-strap choices.

I spent another hour or so working on learning to trust the dot. It's coming to me slowly, but steadily. Feels not-natural yet to just ignore the Ameriglo's. Definitely feel faster, but still need to work on coordinating dot acquisition with the feel of the Gen5 trigger to improve my shot confidence. My Gen4 G19 has the G17 minus connector and NY1 spring, making for a pull similar to my P2KSK LEM (to me). I'm liking the Gen5 trigger well enough to try and learn it (the clear click of the reset is very nice), but, between the grip, dot and trigger, I'll need much more practice.

I see this is a gallery thread and I'm going to take a fail for not having pictures, but, it was a great range day even with the wait. Got things dialed way in, confidence up, problems identified for next time. I got home and sparked up the grill to make a bunch of good stuff and stocked the fridge for the week. Wife was pleased. A great day.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The private bays here are shared backstops but with solid walls in between each shooter (vs divider panels in the regular lanes), and a back entry door.
    Sounds like the place on 35W in the middle of all that lovely, perpetual construction…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Sounds like the place on 35W in the middle of all that lovely, perpetual construction…
    Indeed.
    https://shootsmart.com/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List