Page 71 of 231 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I have heard that, but it hasn’t reflected my experience. At least pre-comp days. I’ve bought mostly wolf for quite a while and haven’t seen those issues. But until I get through my stock of Wolf and the ammo situation stabilizes I’m stuck.
    Frequent mag cleaning helps and for some reason the 21 rounders seem to run better than the 17s.

It’s not just drag from the poly vs metal, there seems to be slightly less internal volume in the Magpul mags.

Keeping nuisance birds away, with the old H&R Topper.410

A friend called me Gran Torino. Made me smile.

Name:  20200627_151536.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  34.2 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I went to the range for the first time in three months today. It's been years since I've gone this long without shooting. There were too many other people there for me to use my timer, but my skills had not degraded nearly as much as I expected. I actually shot pretty well. My 19.5 had one failure to return to battery that was fixed by just a tap (no rack). I need to check my records, but I think this is the first problem I've had with this pistol. It has about 5,500 rounds through it, and the recoil rod+spring was replaced at 5,000. Notably, I was using a Magpul mag, I think for the first time in this pistol. I'm perfectly content to use them as range mags, but I still don't trust them for carry. (Also pictured is my new watch. I don't think it's fancy enough for the watch thread, so I'm sneaking it in here since it was bought with money not spent on ammo.)

Name:  IMG_20200628_170640720.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  50.7 KB
    Last edited by pangloss; 06-28-2020 at 06:44 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    my SBRs, again. Just practiced basic ready-up drills as I don't really have much experience training with carbines up close. Wanted to focus on the ABCs.

I will say that one of the best lessons I have taken away from this site: buy things in pairs.

Yes, that is a US flag decal on my Japanese car. It's not an accident.

Last edited by Nephrology; 06-30-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Yes, that is a US flag decal on my Japanese car. It's not an accident.
    Not if you're from the Occident.

I cleaned the heck out of the Ruger #1 7mm mag and the BCM AR and took them out to the range again today. I did not see any improvement on the Ruger, still getting 3-4" groups even after changing my bench technique to use a more upright natural position and and holding the rifle more firmly. I dry fired a few times between shots in the 5 shot strings, I'm sure I'm not flinching.

I finally tried something a friend suggested re. the Ruger #1. Instead of shooting off the bi-pod attached to the sling swivel out at the end of the forend, i put it on a rest right under the screw that holds the forend to the barrel. Aside from the flier, I'm pretty happy with that group. I guess there were some harmonics happening when the bi-pod was out at the end of the forend, I need to look at the forend and see if I can put a sling swivel back around that point.

Now I just need to work on more consistency with my bench shooting
    See pic below.Name:  20200703_152159A.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  35.8 KB

That change got me looking at the BCM and where I had the bi-pod attached on it. It's a FF barrel but doesn't not have much clearance right at that point. It was right at the gas block and with the suppressor weight at the end, it might have been touching the bi-pod mount bolt. At any rate, i removed the mount bolt and shot it off the rest instead of the bi-pod. The group size change was not as dramatic but it was better.
    Name:  20200703_150410A.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  27.2 KB

I still have a lot to learn re. shooting scoped rifles for accuracy but at least I am making forward progress. Now I can try some of my 7mm loads that had better SD and see what they do for me.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Zeroed and function tested my new rifle. No frills to it, as I wanted a simple carbine and not a money pit this time around. Still needs some parts -- gonna go with a Mossie Midnight light mount up by the FSB and slap my extra TLR1 up there, put some sort of QD sling swivel somewhere, and add a fixed rear sight. Upper is a SOLGW East India starter kit with a SOLGW BCG and complete SOLGW lower with a VLTOR A5 tube. Magpul furniture, a Reptilia lower 1/3 mount, and a Holsoun HS403R to round it out.

I selected the .223 Hornady TAP Patrol 53gr GMX as a defensive load. I was concerned about it not being 5.56 pressure, but the 16" midlength with A5H1 buffer eats it just fine.

Site Supporter
    Braved the Texas heat to zero a new P320 Pro Carry. If I switch to the 320 for work or will likely be with this slide. I'm curious to see how the Romeo1 Pro optic compares to the prior Romeo. I do like that it comes with the shroud as opposed to the RX models.

Ideally I'd like a Glock with an ACRO but I'm not sure what the approved optics list is going to look like. Depending on the options I may go SIG if it gets me an RDS.

Name:  20200704_172930.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  20200704_164457.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  101.0 KB

Started with just the irons

Name:  20200704_164547.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  34.5 KB

Got the dot zeroed at 10 yards

Name:  20200704_170441.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  35.1 KB

Ran 10/10/10 a few times mostly around 6 seconds but got one sub 5 with everything in the black.

Name:  20200704_171153.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  36.9 KB

I was not leaving the shade to get a target photo..

Name:  20200704_170955.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 07-04-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Shot these two in the AM to beat the heat. Introduced a buddy to the little 300blk PDW. Took him one magazine to decide he wanted something similar for traveling and while mowing on the tractor (he sees coyotes when cutting early). Being a "walk the walk" kind of guy, he had all parts ordered before we took the kids out to start fireworks. There's really no question as to why we get along so well.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Had a 4th of July shindig at my brothers property. I brought quite a few guns, but the one everyone wanted to shoot was this. I admit it’s pretty satisfying when every kid who sees it says, “Whoa, cool, can I shoot that one?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List