Page 103 of 231 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2304

Thread: What did you shoot today?

12.5 balances nicely for me

Thank goodness for DST and long days...time to play after work. Thanks to AWP101 for putting me into this upper...I sure like it.

Name:  12 5 sbr.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  57.2 KB

Today I shot my Volquartsen Scorpion with the aluminum alloy frame, aluminum alloy upper with barrel liner, and Volquartsen DLC-finished bolt. All metal other than the bolt, sights, trigger, and magazine release are finished in NP3 Plus, a finish Volquartsen no longer offers on the Scorpion. The trigger on this breaks at less than two pounds with minimal creep and over travel, allowing for a good shooter to shoot very tiny groups. This pistol is competitive in Bullseye at the fifty-yard line, especially with the target grips it wears. I bought it in 2018 for less than half of retail when Volquartsen was discounting the Mark III designs after the release of the Mark IV. As I prefer the older designs, I jumped when the deal was offered.

My target today was a small coffee can filled with Duct Seal to catch as many bullets as possible. I was using older (circa 1997) Winchester Dyna-Point, a bulk ammo that shoots tight groups in many of my rimfire pistols and rifles. I am down to my last case of it, having cleaned out a local K-Mart when ammo sales were being discontinued by the chain.

Not my picture, but mine looks exactly like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just posted this in another thread, but this was what I was out shooting this morning:

Before hole punching:
    Name:  IMG_0936-small.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  80.5 KB

After punching all the holes:
    Name:  IMG_0938-small.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  99.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0941-small.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  27.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0945-small.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  31.3 KB

Rounds 175 through to 382 today; 200 ball, 8 Fed Hydrashok, all 230gr. I think it might shoot a little low, but it could also be me since it's been so long since I've spent quality time with a 1911...

I'm not doing a 2000 round test of it, but regardless - no bobbles so far, not even any brass to face...which on a gun that's never seen anything other than the Colt factory/Colt Custom Shop is pretty rare! IME Colt tends to take the "Does it extract? Does it eject? Does it do both consistently and without fail? If so, pass!" attitude to it's extractor and ejector tuning...don't really fault them for it, but they could spend a little more time and get it tuned a little bit better...

Edit - to be specific, that's 382 rounds since it's been through the CCS; round count before I sent it, I didn't keep a log of but I'd guesstimate around 1400 rounds, around 300 of them through a "drop in" Ed Brown threaded barrel. So 382 rounds on a new fitted barrel.

Site Supporter
    Name:  Berettas_3_1.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  48.7 KB

92X Centurion GR - carry gun
    92X Full Size FR - HD gun
    92X Centurion GR - practice/training gun

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Targets?
    Name:  IMG_6460.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  74.3 KB Name:  IMG_6459.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  76.4 KB

Here's some targets. IPSC A/C steel is 100 yards and the Popper is 175 yards. 10 shot groups. I need a better scope. This one runs out of elevation at 175 yards. I tried holdover at 200 yards and got 7 of 10 hits on an A/C steel. SK Pistol Match ammo.

Joining the red dot revolution at last.

Given the market conditions over the past year or so, I took the opportunity to sell pretty much everything but my carry guns and move to red-dot-equipped Gen 5's. Today was the first time I was able to get to the outdoor range and shoot them all together. Talon Pro grips on all, Timney trigger on the comp'ed 45, Apex triggers and SCD's on the rest.

G45 MOS, PMM Ultra Comp, FCD plate, Trijicon SRO
    G45 with Zev slide, Holosun 507C
    G19 milled for Leupold DeltaPoint Pro
    G48 MOS with Swampfox Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Talon Pro grips on all,
    Obviously you like those, I have never tried that material but I have probably used every form of step tape and skateboard tape on the market at some time. None seem to have the perfect balance of being grippy Vs sanding the skin off my hand during a range session, or worse my flanks while holstered. I find the rubber versions too slick when wet or not grippy enough.

How would you describe the pro grip material?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also part of the red dot revolution today ...

Confirmed the zero on 3 pistols after re-mounting the optics properly. No real zero shift to speak of. I think my 19 needed a couple clicks of windage maybe.

Also got to shoot my G48 and the G26 with the 508t which are both back from a hiatus. The G48 needed a new 507k; the new unit seems to work no problems. The 508t is a really nice optic. works well with the 26. I really do like the circle-dot reticle... it is very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Obviously you like those, I have never tried that material but I have probably used every form of step tape and skateboard tape on the market at some time. None seem to have the perfect balance of being grippy Vs sanding the skin off my hand during a range session, or worse my flanks while holstered. I find the rubber versions too slick when wet or not grippy enough.

How would you describe the pro grip material?
    The Pros are the best balance I have used to date, but at this point I cannot attest to longevity and I have not yet carried against bare skin. My experience with the rubber versions of Talon and Tractiongrips is the same as yours, insufficient grip especially when wet, and I've used the granulate grips from those companies as well as Dawson on competition guns only. I would describe the Pro as being different in that you get the grip not just from the material but from the texture, and because of that the grip it gives is proportional to how hard you grip it, if that makes any sense. It only takes a light touch on sandpaper-style grips to grab skin (or fabric), but that minimum pressure would slide over the Pro grips. When you lock down on the Pros though they have all the grip I could want. I haven't shot in the rain yet or anything but with sweaty hands I found them to work well. I am hopeful that in IWB carry they won't be any worse than a good stippling job, but I'm still carrying my older guns while getting these set up and vetted. My range time yesterday was AIWB with a polo shirt and compression undershirt and they were fine, but that's the first time I've worked with them from the holster. I shot about 700 rounds yesterday (trying not to think about how much it would cost to replace that these days) and my hands were okay, and I'm definitely not accustomed to that kind of volume anymore (I didn't shoot at all for a couple years, then shot maybe 1K over the past six months leading up to yesterday). Initially I looked at these as a temporary measure until doing a full texturing job, but if they work out for IWB carry I'll be happy to just stick with them.

Site Supporter
    Soooo close

User Tag List