Page 98 of 226 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Friday was "armoring day" at work, basically vehicle and equipment inspections with an in-depth cleaning for the people who don't know how to clean their guns well. Afterwards off to the range to burn our old duty ammo and get the fresh stuff and ensure function after the guns were detailed. Brought some 9mm to shoot in buddy's P365 and found it was very easy to hit with, running some plate racks with it. For me the grip is far too small to be of much interest but its a nice, concealable gun.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Played hooky today and felt the need to #flex . Hit the range and burned up 150 rounds of CCI SV, 10 rounds of .38 Special and 60 rounds of .44 Special. #highroller Everything was shot offhand with both hands or bullseye style at 10 yards.

I split the first 50 SV between this Model 63 no dash and the Ruger MKI. After giving the front sight the white base coat/orange nail polish topcoat treatment the Ruger is much easier to shoot than before.
    Name:  IMG_3924.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  101.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_3925.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  102.0 KB

Then I put 50 through the Hi Standard Supermatic Trophy. I shot the targets in reverse order starting with target number 5. Everything came together for target number 3 and then my grip and concentration flat didn't show up for numbers 2 and 1. I definitely need to give this front sight the nail polish treatment next.
    Name:  IMG_3928.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  51.3 KB

Next I put 10 through the GP100. Just plain FMJ I picked up from Ammo Valley, LAX or someplace like that a couple of years ago. Normally I really enjoy shooting this one and I brought 100 rounds with me but I just wasn't feeling it today. The 5 on the right were shot single action, the 5 on the left DA both with a normal 2 hand hold.
    Name:  IMG_3931.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  52.3 KB

Next was the Rossi M720 .44 Special. I need to replace the front sight (the factory sight is plastic and in the process of breaking) and maybe the rear as well. It has to be adjusted almost all the way to the right but that may just be from the front sight being wonky. 10 rounds of HSM cowboy loads followed by 50 of the Remington Wheelgun Performance 246gr LRN. The Remington was less smoky and even though it had a sharper recoil impulse, it was more pleasant to shoot. Neither was unpleasant but I can tell it's near the limit of my recoil tolerance in a handgun. Any ideas I had of running Magnums through a 4" 29 are pretty much gone. Probably the same for a .460 Rowland or .400 CorBon 1911. My hands and wrists just don't like it anymore and I'm pretty sure I'll pay for it tomorrow when the carpal tunnel flares up. But it was worth it and if I were limited to revolvers I think it would make a fine "get off me RFN" option with the right loads. The bottom right target was my last 5 rounds.
    Name:  IMG_3932.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  52.0 KB

After that I put 20-25 through the .455 Colt New Service. I can barely see the tip of the front sight and the grip is all kinds of wrong to try and get a 2 handed hold but it's a horse of a pistol and just plain fun to shoot. If it didn't have the fun factor I probably would have moved it on for something with sights I can use.
    Name:  IMG_3933.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  47.4 KB

Finally I wrapped up with 50 DA through the 63. That was probably more than I should have done after the Rossi but I'm trying to get a smooth DA press without staging the trigger or stopping part way through.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I got in a number of different ammo for my .22 so I tested them with my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 and a 10 inch barrel to see if they would function and what kind of groups I would get.

I shot the 22/45 with the stock barrel first and found that it had no problems with CCI-SV, Blazers, 40 grain Hollow Point Mini Mags and Velocitors. I was curious to see how well the hollow points work and I'm pleased to say I had no problems in either the Lite or with the 10 inch barrel on the 22/45.

Velocitors were a little disappointing with groups in the 1.5 to 2 inch vertical strings but .5 in windage problems. SV were the real winner, I only shot at 25 yards at my local indoor range and they stayed into .5 inches. I cheated because I put a 3 X 9 scope on the 10 incher for fun. That's going to be a bench gun for me. If I still hunted it would be my choice.

Name:  Mark IV with 3 barrels.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  47.4 KB

The, sadly discontinued, Air Venturi Bronco I bought back when they came out. It's a low-power spring-piston breakbarrel that is fairly quiet to the shooter and pleasurable to plink for extended periods. While hold sensitive as all springers, it is mildly so. Mine has a Williams peep and the factory front sight is shimmed to a workable height. While shooting at my steel array, I noticed a young chipmunk gathering food in the brush along the retaining wall behind my backstop. This left me a bit of a problem.

1) I was shooting 7.0 grain RWS Hobby pellets and the rifle is sighted for something else. But I'd been plinking enough to know my hold so no biggie.

2) With these pellets, the airgun give an average 510.8fps for not much over four FPE. Standard deviation of 3.84fps so it's a dependable and repeatable four FPE. The won't through-and-through a chippy. So a good shot presentation and proper placement are both required.

Little shit came close at one point and gave me a seven yard shot but quartering away. I hit a bit high but with proper windage just in front of the rear hindquarter and it dropped. Then tried making cover but only made six feet before folding. Next pellet caught the base of the skull to be sure it was down. If I was running a 20 or 22 caliber airgun, my first shot would have anchored Alvin on the spot with a through-and-through.

Name:  retaining_wall_chipmunk_Air_Venturi_Bronco_RWS_Hobby_about_4FPE.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  102.6 KB

The Bronco rifle is not my choice for any pest control but you run what you brung. Having already chronographed it and dropped foundation mice and splattered wasps at a previous place, I was confident that it could do the job if I did mine. As a plinker, it's one of the best cost:quality airguns I've ever purchased.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 05-21-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Had my annual old geezer/retired cop, LEOSA shoot today. Showed up carrying the top one and shot the bottom one for qual. Did it wearing an Hawaiian shirt and a Panama hat. Do it with style bro.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I've wanted a two-tone 1911 since reading gun rags as a kid in the '80s and finally snagged one a few weeks ago when I hit Gunbroker just as a Springfield Ronin .45ACP listed for buy now at less than MSRP.

The Pachs were meant to be a temporary solution to the thin grips and smooth front strap but they're staying. Extremely comfortable and I like the retro look. This thing has more sharp edges than my Gryphon M10 did originally but seems accurate and reliable. A good candidate for some custom attention in the future.

Name:  IMG-0872.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  25.5 KB

I picked up the Colt Competition 9mm a few years ago when they were dumping the Series 80s for cheap before releasing the Series 70s. It was a rough start given Colt treats extractor tension as a DIY project but to their credit they fixed it and it's run well ever since. Focused mostly on strong hand-only and weak hand-only, which obviously need some work.

Name:  IMG-0875.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  28.7 KB

@AzShooter are you swapping one bolt between all 3 uppers?

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @AzShooter are you swapping one bolt between all 3 uppers?
    No, I have two Volquartsen bolts and 3 Ruger OEM bots that work. I use the VQ bolts on the Lite and 5.5 and one of the Ruger bolts on the 10 incher.

Thanks! I only saw the one bolt so I wasn’t sure.

Site Supporter
    Glock 35 w/ 180g Lawman. First time at this agency range since Jan 2020. First time live firing in 4 months.
    Shot an decent 98 daytime qual with a high right out of the scoring zone at 15 and an ugly 100 with a night qual where I pushed more left than I would like to be when I was shooting SHO w a 4 sevens 1 cell.
    Name:  9F4AB4D1-67D2-488B-BE55-01FB8BB4173C.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  5F033250-9B1E-4A14-B05C-EB3C05FAF326.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  34.6 KB
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List