Page 114 of 232 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2317

Thread: What did you shoot today?

This morning's range time:

Name:  IMG_1166-cropped.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  98.7 KB

Dry fire practice with the revolver is paying off...30 feet, I'm able to make hits on a 3x5 card on demand, so long as I don't seriously rush things...better than I was a few weeks ago. One thing I noticed, I can't sink my finger all the way onto the trigger...otherwise I'll contact my thumb before the press is complete and the shot gets yanked a bit. I either need to figure out a different grip on my shooting hand, or not use all my finger on the trigger..

The 1911? Like cheating. I spent the whole session (that wasn't spent on the revolver) basically drawing and firing one shot, partially to practice a quick sight picture but mostly to try to break in this Ritchie CQ-QR I bought back in March as a decent OWB leather choice...even after massaging the leather, even after contacting Ritchie Leather themselves and them graciously sending me some "leather butter" to try to loosen it up some (which worked a bit)...it still needs two hands to draw from. Doesn't matter where on the belt it is, from 2:30 out to 5:00...one hand needs to be on the belt or the holster while the other yanks the gun out. You can see the black streaks on it just in that photo; that's from holstering and drawing about 10 times at home, dry, before going to the range. If I don't use two hands, it's not coming out on any kind of time scale I'd call "acceptable". I get it, retention is a thing...but too much retention is a thing, too. If it doesn't pop out fast; if I need to wrestle with it to yank it out...I don't like that. Not one bit.

And no..the 150+ draws I did at the range didn't really help any. Oh well. I really wanted to like this holster but...sad face. I'd like to think it's just this one gun but all of my 1911s (coincidentally all Colts) have the same issue in this holster. Weirdly (or not?) the Bianchi #57/Remedy fits, retains, draws easier...all around better experience for me. It doesn't have a stitched in sight channel so it's drawing chunks of leather fuzz on pull, and the mouth isn't reinforced...if those two things were fixed, it'd be just about a perfect holster. Next stop for the OWB leather 1911 holster desire is probably going to be a Sparks 55BN, if I can ever catch Allan Yoast when he has them in stock...something nice, easy to draw from, concealable, that isn't from $generic-holster-maker-on-ebay made with the finest of bonded leathers.

Why don't I shoot 1911s in 38 Super more? It's seriously cheating, and without the mag fidgeting that 9mm needs. Oh, right, ammo's expensive and a little more boutique than 45ACP..

The gun btw is a Colt O1083CCS 1 of 100; Colt Competition series gun with front strap checkering...that seems to be the only real difference. Well, and a Match barrel though I don't think it's a hard fit one. The thumb safety I swapped for a Wilson Bulletproof one; much more ergonomic for me and the beveling at the rear top corner really works better for me than the factory one, which likes to rip my hand open. Grips are Hogue G10 double diamonds and they are super grippy. I think the only further change I'm going to make is swapping the mag release for a slightly extended one...now to just figure out which one. EGW, maybe?

Name:  IMG_20211102_183917~2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  35.9 KB
    Just my loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    This morning's range time:

Name:  IMG_1166-cropped.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  98.7 KB

Dry fire practice with the revolver is paying off...30 feet, I'm able to make hits on a 3x5 card on demand, so long as I don't seriously rush things...better than I was a few weeks ago. One thing I noticed, I can't sink my finger all the way onto the trigger...otherwise I'll contact my thumb before the press is complete and the shot gets yanked a bit. I either need to figure out a different grip on my shooting hand, or not use all my finger on the trigger..

The 1911? Like cheating. I spent the whole session (that wasn't spent on the revolver) basically drawing and firing one shot, partially to practice a quick sight picture but mostly to try to break in this Ritchie CQ-QR I bought back in March as a decent OWB leather choice...even after massaging the leather, even after contacting Ritchie Leather themselves and them graciously sending me some "leather butter" to try to loosen it up some (which worked a bit)...it still needs two hands to draw from. Doesn't matter where on the belt it is, from 2:30 out to 5:00...one hand needs to be on the belt or the holster while the other yanks the gun out. You can see the black streaks on it just in that photo; that's from holstering and drawing about 10 times at home, dry, before going to the range. If I don't use two hands, it's not coming out on any kind of time scale I'd call "acceptable". I get it, retention is a thing...but too much retention is a thing, too. If it doesn't pop out fast; if I need to wrestle with it to yank it out...I don't like that. Not one bit.

And no..the 150+ draws I did at the range didn't really help any. Oh well. I really wanted to like this holster but...sad face. I'd like to think it's just this one gun but all of my 1911s (coincidentally all Colts) have the same issue in this holster. Weirdly (or not?) the Bianchi #57/Remedy fits, retains, draws easier...all around better experience for me. It doesn't have a stitched in sight channel so it's drawing chunks of leather fuzz on pull, and the mouth isn't reinforced...if those two things were fixed, it'd be just about a perfect holster. Next stop for the OWB leather 1911 holster desire is probably going to be a Sparks 55BN, if I can ever catch Allan Yoast when he has them in stock...something nice, easy to draw from, concealable, that isn't from $generic-holster-maker-on-ebay made with the finest of bonded leathers.

Why don't I shoot 1911s in 38 Super more? It's seriously cheating, and without the mag fidgeting that 9mm needs. Oh, right, ammo's expensive and a little more boutique than 45ACP..

The gun btw is a Colt O1083CCS 1 of 100; Colt Competition series gun with front strap checkering...that seems to be the only real difference. Well, and a Match barrel though I don't think it's a hard fit one. The thumb safety I swapped for a Wilson Bulletproof one; much more ergonomic for me and the beveling at the rear top corner really works better for me than the factory one, which likes to rip my hand open. Grips are Hogue G10 double diamonds and they are super grippy. I think the only further change I'm going to make is swapping the mag release for a slightly extended one...now to just figure out which one. EGW, maybe?
    Try wrapping the gun in a thick plastic bag and keep it in there for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Try wrapping the gun in a thick plastic bag and keep it in there for a few days
    That was the first week of it's existence here. Then wax paper for another week when the plastic bag thing didn't do anything, then next was threading a belt through the loops, cinching it down tight and hanging it from a doorknob for a week to maybe loosen it up some more (as retention seems even stiffer when it's worn on a belt vs loose by itself and yanking the gun in/out), etc. I've done all the tricks and then some, short of bathing the thing in oil and utterly ruining it in an effort to reshape it (which I'm not about to do).

The only other guns I have laying around in 1911 format to try it with are old USGI guns and I don't really feel like putting that much wear on them when they're already in pretty good shape for going through at least one world war...I'm honestly wondering if the model gun they used was something like a Springfield or something that may have had a less wide trigger guard, or a plastic mold gun that was somehow thinner than actual guns or something? Either that or the holster as a whole shrunk between when it was made and when I bought it from Top Gun Supply...honestly it doesn't really matter; I'm probably going to sell this off with full disclosure and turn any proceeds into something different.

Site Supporter
    That was the first week of it's existence here. Then wax paper for another week when the plastic bag thing didn't do anything, then next was threading a belt through the loops, cinching it down tight and hanging it from a doorknob for a week to maybe loosen it up some more (as retention seems even stiffer when it's worn on a belt vs loose by itself and yanking the gun in/out), etc. I've done all the tricks and then some, short of bathing the thing in oil and utterly ruining it in an effort to reshape it (which I'm not about to do).

The only other guns I have laying around in 1911 format to try it with are old USGI guns and I don't really feel like putting that much wear on them when they're already in pretty good shape for going through at least one world war...I'm honestly wondering if the model gun they used was something like a Springfield or something that may have had a less wide trigger guard, or a plastic mold gun that was somehow thinner than actual guns or something? Either that or the holster as a whole shrunk between when it was made and when I bought it from Top Gun Supply...honestly it doesn't really matter; I'm probably going to sell this off with full disclosure and turn any proceeds into something different.
    Have you tried contacting Ritchie Leather ?

Alternatively, Mitch Rosen Leather, which is also known for very tight new holsters, recommends a product called Leather Lightning:

How do I break in my holster?
    We recommend a bottle of Leather Lightning™ for use in breaking in your holster. Leather Lightning ™ makes the inside of the holster slicker, so that you can break in the holster more efficiently. You can apply it with your finger or a q-tip to the inside of the holster. With the holster on your belt, insert and withdraw the unloaded pistol a little at time until you can get it fully seated and get a smooth draw. Repeat the presentations until a smooth draw is achieved. Leather Lightning™ is a catalyst and will not harm the firearm or the holster.
    https://mitchrosen.com/order-online/...egory=10984035

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Alternatively, Mitch Rosen Leather, which is also known for very tight new holsters, recommends a product called Leather Lightning:

This Galco product is another alternative:
    https://www.galcogunleather.com/draw..._343_1089.html

I have had a bottle for 10 years it always helped.

From my post:

The 1911? Like cheating. I spent the whole session (that wasn't spent on the revolver) basically drawing and firing one shot, partially to practice a quick sight picture but mostly to try to break in this Ritchie CQ-QR I bought back in March as a decent OWB leather choice...even after massaging the leather, even after contacting Ritchie Leather themselves and them graciously sending me some "leather butter" to try to loosen it up some (which worked a bit)...it still needs two hands to draw from.
    Yeah, I saw Mitch Rosen's product (and I've considered ordering a holster or two from them too); it's not that the leather inside needs to be slickened up, it's that the holster is formed way tighter than this, or the other couple of 1911s that I routinely shoot/carry, will fit into. Specifically the trigger guard area is where it seems to catch the most. The rest of the black dye from the holster that's rubbing off, that's fine; it's not hanging the gun up much...the trigger guard though is sticking hard. There's a fine line between gun bucket and too much retention and I've been trying to walk it without turning it into something so loose that I could shove a Glock 21 into it...I'm just at the point where it might be easier to sell it and turn it into a 55BN (or other Nelson Professional-style holster) which if I'm honest is what I wanted in the first place. I ordered this simply because it was low hanging fruit, didn't say "Galco" or "1791" or "Falco", and it was immediately available.

I'm not blaming Ritchie or anything; this is a sample of one; for all I know, I'm the one that's doing it wrong vs their holsters. They were kind enough to send me a phone number and we had a nice phone conversation where we went over everything, he sent me some leather butter to help a bit (which I was an idiot and somehow managed to lose when cleaning out my office), etc. Based on that experience I'd buy another one from them, but...not without being able to return it if it's too tight

Thanks for reminding me about the leather lightening stuff though; I'll order a tube of that and give it a shot, maybe it softens up the leather in the trigger guard area enough to give it that tiny bit more give that mine needs.

Site Supporter
    From my post:

Yeah, I saw Mitch Rosen's product (and I've considered ordering a holster or two from them too); it's not that the leather inside needs to be slickened up, it's that the holster is formed way tighter than this, or the other couple of 1911s that I routinely shoot/carry, will fit into. Specifically the trigger guard area is where it seems to catch the most. The rest of the black dye from the holster that's rubbing off, that's fine; it's not hanging the gun up much...the trigger guard though is sticking hard. There's a fine line between gun bucket and too much retention and I've been trying to walk it without turning it into something so loose that I could shove a Glock 21 into it...I'm just at the point where it might be easier to sell it and turn it into a 55BN (or other Nelson Professional-style holster) which if I'm honest is what I wanted in the first place. I ordered this simply because it was low hanging fruit, didn't say "Galco" or "1791" or "Falco", and it was immediately available.

I'm not blaming Ritchie or anything; this is a sample of one; for all I know, I'm the one that's doing it wrong vs their holsters. They were kind enough to send me a phone number and we had a nice phone conversation where we went over everything, he sent me some leather butter to help a bit (which I was an idiot and somehow managed to lose when cleaning out my office), etc. Based on that experience I'd buy another one from them, but...not without being able to return it if it's too tight

Thanks for reminding me about the leather lightening stuff though; I'll order a tube of that and give it a shot, maybe it softens up the leather in the trigger guard area enough to give it that tiny bit more give that mine needs.
    Have you measure the dimensions of the new Colt?

As the owner of two Les Baers I have learned the hard way there is variance in 1911 frame dimensions..The newer Colt Railed 1911s don’t fit many railed 1911 holsters.

Have you measure the dimensions of the new Colt?

As the owner of two Les Baers I have learned the hard way there is variance in 1911 frame dimensions..The newer Colt Railed 1911s don’t fit many railed 1911 holsters.
    The 2nd gen Colt railgun/M45-patterend rail guns are very different than the first gen, which was fairly identical to Springfield, DW, and other railed 1911s...finding someone who makes M45-patterned holsters is a bitch :/

I haven't hit them with the micrometer, but all the other holsters I have they fit in just fine...including some JMCK kydex.

Many years ago I had a nice, lined leather 686 holster that I wanted to carry my 3" 629 in. Wrapped the 629 in Saran Wrap, soaked the holster in rubbing alcohol and married the two over night. Next morning the two were very happy and so was I.

User Tag List