Page 213 of 232 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2317

Thread: What did you shoot today?

The Rifle club had it's annual meeting on Thurs so I went out and shot earlier in the afternoon before the meeting started.

Since I am loaning some of my NV stuff to a friend for a while, my first order of business was to determine if the Thermal scope and my Primary Arms NV upper were still on, they were, 3 rounds of Hornady TAP 75gr stayed in 4" group on the 10" cold pack chilled steel plate at 100 yds.

The next item was to get the Romeo5 re-zeroed on the NV upper. I had changed it's zero quite a bit during the Ruger 44 mag carbine keyhole-a-thon business last year. I got it back close at the house using the Magpul BUIS on that upper but it took a few additional corrections to get it to the center of the 100 yd steel.

Lastly I needed to confirm the CQBL-1 IR/Visible Laser by viewing the just zeroed Romeo red dot and the laser at 100 yards. This proved impossible in the bright sunlight so I moved over to the pistol ranges.

When I got out my range notebook to make notes for this session, the last entry was Feb of this year. I've got to get back on a schedule to do some regular practice. Just frigging pitiful.

Did some work with the J-frame from the pocket. Slow as to be expected but nonetheless encouraging. It improved with practice, I need to reload more of my wimpy 38SP 158gr SWC loads for much more practice.

Did some G-19 practice out of the fanny pack (Like it's 1999!) Was surprisingly easy shooting well compared to the J-frame, slow but accurate. I just need to get out to the range more.

I was able to set up the NV upper after the meeting in full darkness. No live rounds but the CQBL-1 has the visible laser slaved to the Ir laser and in full darkness I adjusted the visible laser to match the Romeo5 red dot. It was only off by 6-8" high left before I adjusted it.

Should be good to go re. pigs, coyotes, Chupacabra's, etc.

No range pics but here is the upper.

Name:  20231210_221852-A.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  100.8 KB

I've got a TNVC Torch Pro head to go on the Surefire Z for active IR illum, the Thermal is an old IR hunter 35mm.
    We will see if borrowing this stuff will get my buddy to spend his own money on NV.

Gringop.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I administered a sniper rifle qualification for my old department this morning. I ran the course with the officer with my Remington LTR w 3-12 Bushnell Tactical. I dropped a round when the bipod fell off. I think the threads in the stock are stripped I picked up some JB Weld on the way home, I’ll see if I can epoxy the stud back in place.

I also shot my M&P15A with the Aimpoint CompM4. I’d not shot it in quite a while as I’d been shooting another AR with a LPVO.

I also shot a dismal Rangemaster Baseline Assessment and a Five Yard Roundup with my carry M&P9 2.0C. I’ve been neglecting dry practice and it’s showing.

Name:  31EB53CB-F154-41AF-B5A6-C352418215BF.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  58.3 KB

Deleted a duplicate postName:  31EB53CB-F154-41AF-B5A6-C352418215BF.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  58.3 KB
    Last edited by BobM; 12-12-2023 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Deleted duplicate

Spent a little time gross tuning the zero before going back to 25 yards. I’m almost feeling brave enough to bring out the B-8 next time

Name:  IMG_1497.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  53.4 KB

Spent a little over an hour at the range today. Brought a P320 X5 Legion and 229 Legion that I recently traded into, the K6S Target I had on consignment and brought back home for a second chance and the old reliable 19.4 that now sports an LTT grip anchor. No target pictures because I haven't been putting in the dry or live fire I should and it shows. Oh how it shows...

The 320 X5 is interesting. I like it but I'm not 100% sure I love it. Right after I made the trade I picked up a WC module to try because I really like the one on my 365XL. I'll do the swap before going back tomorrow with a .22, a couple of Dagger builds I need to function check and the 442 because I really need more time on it.

Name:  range trip 15DEC23.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  102.1 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Had to bring my vehicle in for service today and the range was right across the street. I borrowed an electric wheelchair and rolled across to Shooter's World in Goodyear, Arizona. Benefit of being a member is that I don't have to pay for rental guns so I picked out a Ruger Mark IV Target Model, bought a box of Aguilla .22s some hearing protection and a pair of glasses.

Into the range I rolled. Target was set up at 10 yards and I settled in. Things I found out: loading magazines by hand is a PITA. I normally usse a McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader and can load a mag in seconds with no pain. After two magazines my thumb was sore.

Lesson 2: I'm not a good shot with iron sights. Even at 10 yards I had a difficult time keeping them in the center.

Lesson 3: Not all guns are accurate or reliable. Out of 50 rounds I had 14 failures to fire. 6 fired on the second loading and the other 8 took a third try.

Range guns are not cleaned as often as they should be.

I had fun, got to shoot and saw some people that I hadn't seen in months.

My Form 4 was approved months earlier than predicted so yesterday was my first time out with the new hush kit. My SP-01 Kadet is plenty of fun any time but the quiet version is great. Ordinarily, I seldom hear hits on the heavy steel plates but with noise muted, they sound like church bells! Going to hit the range with my .22 rifle today and check it out. Probably should have taken this plunge a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Probably should have taken this plunge a long time ago.
    A .22 can and doing a Form 1 on my Tac-14 are on my list of things to do next year. Someone needs to make a "My First NFA" t-shirt or something...

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    they sound like church bells!
    My numer one favorite thing about owning cans is shooting subsonic stuff at various steel things. While the club's plate racks are great, I ended up buying an array of probably two dozen different AR500 plates of various sizes and different shapes over the decades, mostly 3/8" from this guy that I suspend from some tall quick assembly sawhorse rigs with cheap rigging cables that I can toss and very quickly replace when they get hit by using some simple eye ring bolts in the saw horse cross beam (plain 2x4).

It takes less than 10 minutes to get set up in a bay, since the targets are even more reactive than a plate rack it is very safe, but every different size, shape, thickness plate has a distinct tone....and of course no ear plugs or muffs required....a great way to entertain my guests.

Currently set up for airsoft play right out my back door with that ebay supplier's 1/8" thick small plates which ring and bounce even for airsoft and are great fun for bb or pellet use...the reduced size IPSC is 1/2" AR550 that I use for 100-300 yards rifle and I am amazed that even airsoft will make it ring.

Name:  plate racks air soft set up.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by fatdog; 12-16-2023 at 09:18 AM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Spent a little over an hour at the range today. Brought a P320 X5 Legion and 229 Legion that I recently traded into, the K6S Target I had on consignment and brought back home for a second chance and the old reliable 19.4 that now sports an LTT grip anchor. No target pictures because I haven't been putting in the dry or live fire I should and it shows. Oh how it shows...

The 320 X5 is interesting. I like it but I'm not 100% sure I love it. Right after I made the trade I picked up a WC module to try because I really like the one on my 365XL. I'll do the swap before going back tomorrow with a .22, a couple of Dagger builds I need to function check and the 442 because I really need more time on it.
    Went back today and found out a couple of things. My 442 shoots ~5" high at 5 yards with Fiocchi 148gr WC. Interestingly, it also shoots ~5" high at 5 yards with the Norma 158gr I had with me as well.

I think I like the X5 better with the WC module. There's more recoil compared to the original grip module but I can get a better grip on the WC. Does the X5 use a special barrel or is it the standard 320 barrel?

Wrapped the LOK grip on the K6ST with hockey tape and that seemed to help it work with my hand better. I'd tried foam and tape in the past but never tape alone. I might add a little more tape but it felt much better to shoot than it has in the past. And it's going to be a dedicated .38 gun. There's not a lot of muzzle flip with .357 but the recoil drives straight back into my hand which is a no-go for me because my hands are already jacked. Besides, shooting .357 at an indoor range is miserable anyway.

The Dagger builds worked. I'm not sure yet if they'll be my training pistol and back up or if the 19.4 will be the primary training pistol with a Dagger as backup. I did not shoot them and the 19 back to back for comparison but I'm pretty sure I seem to shoot all 3 about the same.

User Tag List