Page 216 of 232 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2319

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Looks good for Steel Challenge!
    If you know, What’s the pictured setup with the SBX barrel & Magnum Research stock weigh? With or without c-more doesn’t matter. More just curious as I have one of those stocks in my parts bin and like to run everything suppressed and the SBX keeps it short without adding another stamp to the collection.
    I don't know the weight but it is very light. Barrel weighs 15 ounces. Stock fells like it's about a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I don't know the weight but it is very light. Barrel weighs 15 ounces. Stock fells like it's about a pound.
    Weighed my bare Magnum Research stock: 2.02lbs

Met the youngest boy this morning for some range time. My only plan was to watch him shoot what he carries, let him shoot some stuff that used to be his (I'm a softy when he asks about trades ), try out a new to me G47 and blow the dust off a couple of things that haven't seen the outside world for a while.

Not only does he shoot low at 7-10 yards with multiple pistols, I realized he was dipping the pistol after each shot to look at the target. We talked about it but it's going to be a long, uphill battle to break him of that habit. He also discovered he shoots my 365XL with WC module better than his 43X. 5 rounds from his 43X was enough to remind me why I went 365 myself. Also put a few rounds through his LCP Max. Even in .380 it's a miserable experience.

Name:  IMG_1961.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  66.2 KB
    Custom Ceracote MKIV Lite. We thought my DiL was going to be there as well so I loaded this in the case and I just left it in there when we found out she already had other plans. He hadn't gotten to shoot it before so he had fun with it.

Name:  IMG_1962.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  80.5 KB
    My late Grandfather's Colt Cobra. My wife has claimed this one and The Boy is always trying to talk her out of it. I brought it so he could shoot it and because it hasn't been to the range in a year or more. Not bad with 158gr FMJ and great fun with wadcutters.

Name:  IMG_1963.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  66.7 KB
    His old GP that's now mine. Antler inserts by Zane at Lone Star Custom grips

Name:  IMG_1964.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  81.7 KB
    Another that hasn't been to the range enough lately and I don't think he'd gotten to shoot this one before either. The BK grip adapter changes it just enough for me to enjoy shooting it one handed. I'm still lousy with it, but it's an enjoyable sort of lousy!

My Glocks shot like Glocks, not much to say beyond that.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I was waiting on delivery of the action, which showed up at my FFL on the 4th. Got the rifle assembled on the 5th and started breaking it in that afternoon. I shot around 150 rnds thru it over a period of several days shooting groups on paper at 100 yds as well as at steel at various distances out to 550 yds (8” and 10”plates). I checked muzzle velocity periodically and started to see it stabilize around the 130 rnd count and it has remained steady for the last 70 rnds. Now that the barrel appears to be broken in I spent the last couple of days doing load development with 140 ELDMs and 147 ELDMs and H4350 powder. I also treated myself to a case of new Peterson SRP brass. This is my first time using Peterson bass, but it was highly recommended and so far it has not disappointed.

Name:  IMG_6681.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  76.0 KB

Rifle specs:
    Zermatt Arms Origin short action, 2-lug 90 deg throw
    Proof 24” carbon fiber pre-fit barrel, 1:8 twist, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
    Area 419 Hellfire Match brake
    Trigger Tech 2-stage flat trigger
    Leupold Mk5 HD 5-25x56 scope w/ PR2 reticle
    MDT ACC chassis
    Cykepod double pull bipod

This is intended to be a NRL Hunter Open-heavy division rifle, so needs to be under 16 lbs with bipod attached, and the above combo weighs 15.8 lbs. I have an XLR chassis on order which is 7-8 oz lighter, but it won’t be delivered for another 8-12 weeks so using the MDT ACC chassis off another rifle for the interim. Since I expect to be doing more positional shooting off objects than prone off a bipod, I balanced the rifle a 4-5 inches in front of the magwell using a couple internal chassis weights and the bipod.

NRL Hunter has a minimum power factor, so that gave me a velocity to shoot for. Fortunately this barrel/caliber combo has been easy to work up a load for. I ran ladder tests for both the 140’s and 147’s, and found nodes for both loads at a velocity which will make PF easily with a little cushion. Supposedly you can push the Peterson SRP a little harder than the LRP variety, but I’m still under book-max for both loads and no pressure signs at all.

Once I got the charge weights figured out, I tested the seating depths for the 140’s, testing different bullet jumps ranging from .020 to .070” to the barrel lands. .030 and .040 jumps seem to yield the best groups, so planning on going with .035” jump to the lands. I still need to do the 147’s seating depth test, hopefully tomorrow.

The weather forecast this weekend is calling for a series of winter storms to blow thru over the next few days with wind, snow, and cold temps. I’m glad I was able to nail down my load and seating depth since this weekend might be an opportune time to hunker in and load up several hundred rounds and get everything ready for this rifle’s match debut at the end of the month.

I'm getting better about taking fewer pistol to the range and learning to enjoy shorter, potentially more productive shooting sessions. Yesterdays range trip was less than an hour, 3 pistols and 2 calibers.

This is the second trip with the 47 and its really growing on me. First 20 rounds (10 per target), offhand slow fire, 10 yards.

Name:  IMG_1985.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  64.0 KB

I unintentionally shot a smiley face! Sort of. More like a beady eyed clown face but it's there. It was more obvious in person.

Name:  IMG_1984.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  59.5 KBName:  Capture7.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  39.8 KB

Put some rounds through Dad's 617. I've tried 2 different Model 63s over the years but never could bond with them. That's not the case with this 617 though. It's got to be the bigger grip even though I was using Herrett stocks on both 63s.

Name:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  70.3 KB

Hey hey, the gang's all here!

Name:  IMG_1987.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  100.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

TX22C with a Ruger Ready Dot.

@RustyCrusty, @jetfire

I had very low expectations for the bargain pistol with the non adjustable dumpster dot. Even had a 507k handy if it was as a complete disaster. But the readydot was free from a buddy that tried it and hated it, so I gave it a whirl.

I was pleasantly amused that it’s close enough for 15 meter plates and even stretched it out to 100 meters on torso steel. That took some Kentucky windage but was good for 5 hits out of 8 fired once I found the hold. After the success at 100 I let a couple of new shooters at the range put a few mags through it.

And they let me try out their single action Heritage bargain thumb buster. The safety on those is goofy AF, but I see the appeal of the silly cheap guns too. @jetfire winning again.

I shall dub thee “Trash Panda”.

Name:  IMG_1895.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  99.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    TX22C with a Ruger Ready Dot.

@RustyCrusty, @jetfire

I had very low expectations for the bargain pistol with the non adjustable dumpster dot. Even had a 507k handy if it was as a complete disaster. But the readydot was free from a buddy that tried it and hated it, so I gave it a whirl.

I was pleasantly amused that it’s close enough for 15 meter plates and even stretched it out to 100 meters on torso steel. That took some Kentucky windage but was good for 5 hits out of 8 fired once I found the hold. After the success at 100 I let a couple of new shooters at the range put a few mags through it.

And they let me try out their single action Heritage bargain thumb buster. The safety on those is goofy AF, but I see the appeal of the silly cheap guns too. @jetfire winning again.

I shall dub thee “Trash Panda”.

Name:  IMG_1895.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  99.9 KB
    The TX22 Compact is honestly one of my favorite guns that we make. It's also conveniently the same size as a GX4 Carry, so people can have a 22 LR trainer to go with their 9mm carry gun

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The TX22 Compact is honestly one of my favorite guns that we make. It's also conveniently the same size as a GX4 Carry, so people can have a 22 LR trainer to go with their 9mm carry gun
    It’s a pretty decent analog for most compact carry guns. Pleasantly surprised by this one.

Site Supporter
    Name:  20240112_093756.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  69.6 KB

Shook down the new 19MOS in the snow yesterday, nice winter day with my brother and @jeep45238 working on some SHO, shot calling, and accuracy.

First 3 rounds I shot to check the sights I just installed were an X, X, 9 called high on a B8 at 25, that was nice.
    Last edited by Noah; 01-14-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Didn't shoot anything special, just my mainstay M&P 5" with the TRO, but did it when it was 6deg F outdoors.
    Actually a good session, evaluating how much performance may diminish and how bundled up concealment might matter. A couple of strings pulling off my strong hand mitten and leaving he weak hand on. Most strings were start position "hands in pockets on warmers".

Name:  MMc SRO.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  39.9 KB

User Tag List