Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Soxfan9 - I shot a Garand with my thumb like that...once.
    Sorry, I don't get what you're saying here?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Sorry, I don't get what you're saying here?
    The first time I shot a Garand I did so off a bench with my thumb over the comb of the stock. I'm 6'1" and the length of pull on the Garand is relatively short, so my head was closer to the rear sight than it should have been. At the shot, the recoil drove my thumb into my nose. It was a pretty good smack, though not enough to draw blood. That hadn't been a problem with bolt guns of similar power, so I figured that it was just part of the Garand experience and stopped wrapping my thumb over the top. It was a State Association rifle and I ended up returning it not long after.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The first time I shot a Garand I did so off a bench with my thumb over the comb of the stock. I'm 6'1" and the length of pull on the Garand is relatively short, so my head was closer to the rear sight than it should have been. At the shot, the recoil drove my thumb into my nose. It was a pretty good smack, though not enough to draw blood. That hadn't been a problem with bolt guns of similar power, so I figured that it was just part of the Garand experience and stopped wrapping my thumb over the top. It was a State Association rifle and I ended up returning it not long after.
    Ah, thumb-nose interface issues. I have done that on occasion myself with heavy recoilers. Thanks.

150 rounds of 9mm

The PPQ has the Sprinco trigger kit and DPM Recoil Reduction System installed. The PX4 has the carry decocker levers and 10# hammer spring from LTT.

Name:  Beretta & Walther.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  Target.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  30.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Glock 17 - about 50 rounds USPSA targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan9 View Post
    WW2 range day with my 11yo. His first time shooting the Garand. He’s hooked.

I really need a carbine to accompany my Garand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent a little over 90 minutes at the indoor range this afternoon. 50 rounds of .45 divided between the 2 TRPs, 150 rounds of .22 between the 22/45 and new to me MkI.

The full rail TRP is probably about to be listed for trade. Part of it is the front sight which can be fixed, but mostly it just doesn't shoot as well or as easily for me as the no-rail TRP. I can't decide if it's the heavy barrel or full rail, but something throws the feel off just enough that I feel like I'm fighting it the whole time.

Obligatory crappy indoor range pic of the new MkI:
    Name:  IMG_3579.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  49.4 KB

1976 production, the grips are unmarked as to maker or species of wood. They feel good but if I get a full grip on them, the pistol points a wee bit to the left. Not sure if I want to adjust them or just adjust my grip a bit since the pistol is just for fun.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Sunday's weather forecast was low clouds, rain and mist. The steel challenge match at the Austin Rifle Club was canceled.

What a perfect afternoon to go to the range!!!!!! There was one other guy on the 100 yard range doing some work with a precision bolt gun from prone. By the time I got my steel target's bolts and chain unfuct, he was ready to go cold and retrieve his targets as I set mine out. We had a wonderful conversation.

I brought the 45-70, the Henry 22 and an AR. In parallel with last summer's failed attempt to get my Ruger #1 7mm mag to be a precision rifle, I also tried to shoot at least 1MOA with my AR with very disappointing results. It's a Rock River receiver, Geissele FCG, LMT bolt and a BCM mid length 16"upper, with a YHM Turbo suppressor and a Nightforce NX8 1x8 scope.

The 45-70 and Henry were for shooting while the AR barrel cooled. They did their job well and I actually was able to make some hits on a 10" steel with both from standing. I'm not ready to bet money on that shooting but I'm happy that I can make some of those hits. Off a bipod, I might be willing to bet some money on it.

The summary of the AR shooting is a follows.

I shot all but the last 2 groups with the suppressor. All 5 shot groups. All shooting was 100 yards from a bench with a Harris bipod.

I shot 3 different loads, my old reloads using Accurate 1680 with 55 gr fmjbt, my new reloads using H335 55gr fmjbt, and Hornady Superperformance Match 5.56 75 gr bthp. The Superperfomance shot the worst groups of all, a 6" spread, I only shot the one 5 shot string with it. On my first cold shots, the 1680 load shot a 4 shot 1" group with a flier at 2 1/2" outside the group. The H335 shot a 1 13/16 group.

20.5 gr. AA1680 55gr. fmjbt 2801 avg fps
    Superperformance match 75 gr 2778 avg fps
    25.5gr H335 55gr fmjbt 3014 avg fps

I continued shooting 1680 and H335 5 shot groups, letting the gun cool after each 2 5 shot groups.

Finally, with light failing, I removed the suppressor and shot a 5 shot group of each of the 2 reloads.

1680 a 3" group, H335 a 7/8" group centered in the dot.

Looking at the results, I know I need to do many more unsuppressed H335 groups to prove the conclusion but it looks like the gun likes my H335 loading without the suppressor. That's OK, I can handle slightly above MOA with the full power H335 and a suppressor, I'm just glad to see it sub MOA without the suppressor. These dots are 3" in diameter.

Note: On the 1680 lighter load, the rifle has a H3 buffer and Gasbuster CH to make it run with the suppressor, the lighter load of the 1680 will eject but not pick up a new round without the suppressor. I had to manually cycle it to load a round, I'm sure this contributed to the 1680 large group.

1st groups.
    Name:  Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  46.4 KB

Middle groups
    Name:  Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  40.6 KB

Last groups
    Name:  Untitled-3 copy.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  41.3 KB

The gun

Name:  20210125_011639A.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  34.0 KB

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 01-25-2021 at 03:54 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Site Supporter
    25 rounds of .40 through my Gen 4 G22 with Ameriglo I-Dots installed. B8 center from 5 to 10 yards. Concealed draw from pullover garment - one and two shots per draw. All in the black today. Those sights are much better for my old eyes than the stock Glock night sights that we have on our work guns. Next week will be a 1911 session if the weather cooperates.

Took my Combat Commander with me today, along with the PX4 and the PPQ. Put 28 rounds through it. Upper left on both targets (14 each). I've done better with it before, but it's been a while.
    Name:  Commander.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  44.1 KB
    Name:  3 guns.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  66.7 KB

The Storm shoots left. I have blamed myself, but after today's session I took a very close look and it appears that the front sight is ever so slightly off center to the right. Couldn't get a good picture of the slide to show the deviation, it's so slight.
    Name:  Beretta Target.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  37.4 KB

I replaced the OEM sights on the PPQ with Trijicon Bright & Tough. Rough sighted at home with a bore laser, but it looks like I missed by a click to the left. Brought the wrong screwdriver with me (note to self) so I couldn't adjust at the range today.
    Name:  Walther Target.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  40.2 KB

User Tag List