Thread: What did you shoot today?

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_2810.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2812.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  101.8 KB

Not mine but got to shoot my buddy’s Q Fix in 8.6 Black Out..

Very mild recoil for the terminal effects this load delivers.

The MK 5 2-10 was pretty neat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Name:  IMG_2810.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2812.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  101.8 KB

Not mine but got to shoot my buddy’s Q Fix in 8.6 Black Out..

Very mild recoil for the terminal effects this load delivers.

The MK 5 2-10 was pretty neat as well.
    That looks pretty sweet! Looks like it was made for feral pig hunting.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Mixed PCC and pistol match:

1. Ruger PCC with Vortex Optics Crossfire Red Dot Sight - 2 MOA Dot
    2. Gen 4 G17 with stock irons

3rd in As, bottom of times in super senior as usual. Lots of running, nope. They had a narrow plank walk down the stage but the senior class could avoid that for one procedural.

Comments:

1. Two mikes that were due to a stacked target and height difference of Vortex was not paid attention to stupid me and I just squeaked two into the black. A mm higher and it would have been As!
    2. Ruger ran fine, optic worked. Note, three guys get up the the line and their optics failed, probably due to bad batteries. So no co-registered sights with predictable results. I have co-registers on optics guns , just in case. Told by some that you don't need them for game guns but I regard all guns as some day being real, so no.
    3. G17 as always fine.
    4. One big stupid. Big long stage, 38 rounds, 10 carbine, 28 pistol. So have a full load of 6 mags. Start with a barney load for the pistol and then a full one from my pocket. But guess what, when filing the pouches, Extremely Genius Glenn takes an empty from the previous stage and puts in a pouch. Surprise. Had enough mags to drop it and continue. But I was surprised as I inserted it to no effect. DUH!

Great match. Like the Ruger quite a bit.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I was out the last couple days doing some T&E and confirmation work with ammo.

I shot a couple different handguns.

As far as carrying, as previously posted in the EDC carry thread, I was wearing my 4" 629 and shooting my 240 grain hardcast LSWCs that run 1200 FPS from a 5" barrel. In the speedloader I had some of my 300 grain WFN Heavy Hammers. They run 1100 FPS. The J Frame was just along for the ride, and simply stays in the pocket.

Shooting was done at 15 yards, over a couple bags. I have a very special talent. No matter if it is a 5 shot or 6 shot group, I will start what looks like it is going to be a great group and by the time I walk down to look at it, I have pulled a "Super Troopers". That guy, don't worry about that guy. There is almost always one that is away from the rest of the group. In the case of the 240 grain SWCs, it was no exception. I managed to take what would have been a couple of respectable groups and yank a shot out of each...

More to follow..

45 Colt 270 grain wide nose Keith SWCs. Ruger Blackhawk Red dot equipped

See the pattern....

The above two groups are 12 shots each at 15 yards, rested over bags. This time with my .45 Colt, shooting my 270 grain Keith wide nose SWCs that run 900 FPS from the 4& 5/8ths" barrel. I truly love this load for the .45 Colt and think it is the perfect all around general purpose load. Heavy enough and fast enough, with a wide fat meplat to work for just about any game you are going to run across in North America, and quite easy to shoot well, with its tolerable recoil properties. If I was limited to just one .45 Colt load, this would definitely be it. I worked on a good .45 Colt general purpose load for quite a while, and have been super happy with this one.

@03RN shoot the same projectile in his .45 Colts and it is simply a great one.

BTW, if any of you know Dick Thompson, AKA Idaho 1945, the grips on this gun are from him. He and his son make them. These are excellent. I had dropped this gun and cracked the polymer ivory grips that had been on it previously and Dick sent me out a box full of grips to try. Dick is an extraordinary handgun hunter/shooter. That is really an understatement. He casts and powder coats his own bullets and does an amazing job. He hunts exclusively with handguns and is truly gifted to say the least.

The interesting this is that it is obvious to see the difference in group sizes. I think the .44s Mags and .45 Colts are capable of about the same accuracy. The difference is that with my eyesight I cannot take advantage of the ammo's accuracy nearly as well as I once could. Using a red dot, really makes a substantial difference as evidenced by the groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    See the pattern....

The above two groups are 12 shots each at 15 yards, rested over bags. This time with my .45 Colt, shooting my 270 grain Keith wide nose SWCs that run 900 FPS from the 4& 5/8ths" barrel. I truly love this load for the .45 Colt and think it is the perfect all around general purpose load. Heavy enough and fast enough, with a wide fat meplat to work for just about any game you are going to run across in North America, and quite easy to shoot well, with its tolerable recoil properties. If I was limited to just one .45 Colt load, this would definitely be it. I worked on a good .45 Colt general purpose load for quite a while, and have been super happy with this one.

@03RN shoot the same projectile in his .45 Colts and it is simply a great one.

BTW, if any of you know Dick Thompson, AKA Idaho 1945, the grips on this gun are from him. He and his son make them. These are excellent. I had dropped this gun and cracked the polymer ivory grips that had been on it previously and Dick sent me out a box full of grips to try. Dick is an extraordinary handgun hunter/shooter. That is really an understatement. He casts and powder coats his own bullets and does an amazing job. He hunts exclusively with handguns and is truly gifted to say the least.

The interesting this is that it is obvious to see the difference in group sizes. I think the .44s Mags and .45 Colts are capable of about the same accuracy. The difference is that with my eyesight I cannot take advantage of the ammo's accuracy nearly as well as I once could. Using a red dot, really makes a substantial difference as evidenced by the groups.

I feel the need to pull out my Blackhawk now. Those are beautiful grips.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

CZ452 Benchrest Match—100 Yards

I took my CZ 452 to the rimfire BR match today at the Prince Range in West Carroll parish Louisiana this morning and we had about 20 shooters.

The scope is an Athlon 8-34 and I was shooting SK Rifle Match ammo.

It’s a very competitive environment, and here are some of the other rifles from todays match. My score was lackluster (188.7) but I’m not blaming the rifle….need to work more on my basic skills and practice more.

It was a beautiful morning and an enjoyable outing with good friends.

My rifle setup (Tactical Class)

Name:  IMG_2046.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  89.2 KB

Some custom rifles

Name:  IMG_2053.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2051.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2050.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2049.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2048.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  76.6 KB

There are three classes: Custom, Factory and Tactical
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Used my Frankenglock in Rangemaster’s Adv Instructor class this weekend. Good times.

Name:  IMG_2598.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  64.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Not today, but yesterday I took a couple of guys out to qualify for the quarter. While waiting for another shooter who ended up going to the wrong range, we killed some time at the rifle range with steel targets set up at various distances. I had my 16” FN15 Tac3 with Vortex Razor 1-6 MOA since one of the guys also wanted to confirm his DOPE on his elk gun and I figured we’d have some time at that range. I had zeroed at 50y with our duty .223 and was curious about hitting at farther distances since I hadn’t had the opportunity to take the gun out past 75 previously. I was easily able to ping the steel targets set up at 220y (no hold necessary) and 330y (4 minute hash mark on the upper third of the target). The steel at 430y was slightly harder but I was able to figure out the appropriate hold within a couple of rounds (8 minute hash mark even with the top right quadrant of the target). The 550y target was much harder. It took me almost 10 rounds with a spotter on a spotting scope to walk myself on the target. The wind at the 550y line was a little stronger than at the 430 but there wasn’t a flag or anything else I could readily use to gauge it. I’m not strong at calling wind to begin with and without a visual reference, I was just guessing based on where the spotter called my misses. I eventually had to hold the 12 minute hash mark even with the top edge of the target and at the right leg of the rig supporting the steel which was maybe a foot or two off the edge of the target. Then after a couple of hits, the wind started to die down and I had to walk my rounds a little to the left at a time. I’d get a hit or two and then a miss to the right. I’d shift a tiny bit to the left again and it would repeat. Hit. Hit. Miss, off the right edge. Eventually the wind died completely. And I managed a few more hits before I ran out of ammo. The range had targets all the way out to 785y but I didn’t try to engage anything farther than the 550 because of how much difficulty I had hitting that consistently. It was also difficult to hear the impacts at the 550 and my bullets weren’t causing any movement at all on the target.

It’s been a long time since I got to throw some rounds down range on a KD range with steel. I forgot how much fun it was. I’d like to give it another go with some more accurate ammunition. Our duty ammo is a 62gr .223 soft point. It’s not the most accurate but I was pleased with the results. I’ve got some 77gr IMI Razorcore 5.56 at home that is very accurate out of my 11.5” SBR. I want to see what it can do out of the FN with the LPVO. I’d also love to see what I could do with a better trigger. The FN currently has the milspec trigger it came with. It’s smooth and not gritty but it’s as heavy as a typical milspec trigger. I have a lower with a Larue MBT-2S that I’ll put the upper on when I try it out with the better ammo. At some point I might buy a nicer trigger for the FN. Sucks to see Larue had raised the price of the MBT recently. Should have bought a few while they were still on sale for $89/each (3 or more for $79/each) until a couple of weeks ago.

Name:  IMG_3855.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  104.2 KB
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-23-2023 at 10:21 PM.

My very first range trip with the P07, Rangemaster Instructor Qual shot from concealment.

What you people have been telling me in the P07 thread is all true. If I get some grip tape on this thing I might be able to do some good work with it. I am sorry I took so many years to try one out.

Name:  p07 9_24_23.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  21.8 KB
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List