Page 65 of 232 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you shoot today?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Finally zero'd the scope (Vortex Viper PST 6-24) on my RRA Predator Pursuit. Should have gotten pics of the gun, but just have the 10rd group. Of course I pulled the 2nd shot. Excluding the flyer, however, I am quite pleased with the results. The gun is definitely way more accurate than i am.

Ammo is 62gr Swedish made 5.56 manufactred for Winchester. SGAmmo had a bunch of it a while back, I still have a few cases. The stuff is insanely accurate for how cheap it was (~35cpr). Barrel is 20" varmint profile 1:8 twist, IIRC made by Wilson for RRA. Could be misremembering. I bet it would do even better with some 77gr OTM, the 62gr stuff doesn't seem to stabilize as well out of the 20" 1:8 as it does my 16" SS heavy govt Recce.

W/o flyer:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Finally zero'd the scope (Vortex Viper PST 6-24) on my RRA Predator Pursuit. Should have gotten pics of the gun, but just have the 10rd group. Of course I pulled the 2nd shot. Excluding the flyer, however, I am quite pleased with the results. The gun is definitely way more accurate than i am.

Ammo is 62gr Swedish made 5.56 manufactred for Winchester. SGAmmo had a bunch of it a while back, I still have a few cases. The stuff is insanely accurate for how cheap it was (~35cpr). Barrel is 20" varmint profile 1:8 twist, IIRC made by Wilson for RRA. Could be misremembering. I bet it would do even better with some 77gr OTM, the 62gr stuff doesn't seem to stabilize as well out of the 20" 1:8 as it does my 16" SS heavy govt Recce.

W/o flyer:

If you like the Swedish 62 grain, the Winchester purple DHS Training ammo is a similar load with the same 62 grain OTM bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you like the Swedish 62 grain, the Winchester purple DHS Training ammo is a similar load with the same 62 grain OTM bullet.
    Who carries that usually? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Site Supporter
    Who carries that usually? I don't think I've ever seen it before.
    SGAmmo has some. I’ve seen it at midwayUSA - like the Swedish stuff they are contract over runs so it’s a get it while available item.

SGAmmo has some. I’ve seen it at midwayUSA - like the Swedish stuff they are contract over runs so it’s a get it while available item.
    Hmm. I just bought 2 Geissele BCGs so I will wait til my gun fund is a little more replete, but I will keep that on my radar. Always looking for ammo that will do well out of my SS barreled guns. Seems like a waste to shoot 55gr through them.

Site Supporter
    Name:  20200524_165715.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  73.4 KB

These guys plus a 17.5 with MRO on steel.

Had multiple instances of failing to lock back on the last round with the 17.5 which I'm sure are shooter / grip induced. Need to try one of the KAG works gen5 slide release levers.

Site Supporter
    Hmm. I just bought 2 Geissele BCGs so I will wait til my gun fund is a little more replete, but I will keep that on my radar. Always looking for ammo that will do well out of my SS barreled guns. Seems like a waste to shoot 55gr through them.
    You mean M193 there is accurate 55 grain out there as sell as shitty 62 grain. Green tip does not shoot like the swedish or DHS OTM stuff.

You mean M193 there is accurate 55 grain out there as sell as shitty 62 grain. Green tip does not shoot like the swedish or DHS OTM stuff.
    Fair, I guess I assumed that with this barrel i will be able to wring the most out of it with a heavier bullet.

Went to the range other day, and had a gloriously good time. Unfortunately no pictures.

Loaded up some reduced 308 loads with trail boss: 12-14gr, 1/2 gr increments. Very quiet with a can out of my TRG bolt gun, but accuracy was abysmal. The 175 Nosler RDF might not be stabilized by the 1:11 twist rifling at only 1350 FPS (magnetospeed). I should try again with shorter/lighter bullets.

Shot some 6BR loads in my 6BRAckley to fireform and brake in the barrel. What a sweet shooting rifle. The ten shot fire-form groups were still just under an inch, nice and round. So far this barrel shoots the same load just as well as my previous 6BRA barrel: 107 SMK, 31.3 Varget, Fed205M, Lapua brass, skim neckturn. Very accurate and very consistent velocity 2910 fps (ES of 12, SD of 5).

Shot some Lapua 55gr factory loads in my 223AI Tikka T3X. Got the ammo for the same price as Lapua brass, so why not? Because the accuracy is lousy with that load, that is why. That factory load has been lousy in three bolt guns and two ARs. But the brass is now fire formed to 223AI, winner. That rifle has kept evolving, it used to have a laminated wood stock, now I’m trying a KRG Bravo stock and KRG Midas trigger. I really like both, but I did add a pound of lead shot in a bag inside the buttstock to help the rifle balance better.

Went to the 50 yard range to function check some 300BLK loads in the SigMCX. Nosler 110 FB Varmageddon, LC brass cut down, 18gr H110, CCI450. OAL 2.025”. Function check great! This will be my new supersonic hunting/practice load.

A good day!
    Last edited by Trigger; 05-24-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Got my PM9 back out of the safe.
    A while back I home stippled the grip because years of pocket carry had polished the polymer to where it was like a wet bar of soap.
    Much better traction now.
    Fired 100 rounds on steel from 10Y to 50Y with zero issues (like always) and was once again impressed with the mechanical accuracy (4 out of 7 hits on a 10" steel plate at 50Y offhand after not shooting it for 6 months).
    Starting with my hand in my pocket I was getting .98, .99, 1.01 beep to hit on a 8" steel at 10Y.
    After shooting a lot of J frame the past 6 months, the Kahr DAO trigger was a breeze to manage.
    I'm going to stick this one back in my pocket for a while.

(having hell posting a pic with Edge browser, might try again later)
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List