Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Ammo Questions

I'm late to this party... lots of great info here already, but here are a few comments.

1) When I was competing in Production with G34s, I found 147gr bullets to be significantly more accurate than any other. There's also the advantage of it being very easy to make minor power factor with 147s. When I switched to a Sig p320, I found that 125gr bullets were superior to the 147s in those guns.

I have seen issues with accuracy and ejection using 115s in Glocks, and I just don't like the feel of them either.

Before my buddies dumped their M&Ps, the worst vertical stringing happened with 115s.

Yesterday's match: a dude bought some cheap 115gr ammo for his G34 and discovered that now he couldn't hit small targets. Half of his shots were 6 to 12" high. He was incredibly frustrated.

2) I'm using 125gr Bluebullets in my Shadow2s.

3) No. Just more QC.

4) I like the new Federal Syntech 150gr match ammo.

A buddy is now shooting a Q5 and is kicking ass. He's found them to be very reliable. It does not fit my hand (strong hand middle finger knuckle hits sharp corner of trigger guard), but it really works for a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I am thinking about getting into USPSA production and/or carry optics and I would like to ask the knowledgeable some questions about ammo. I currently reload on my Dillon 650 (or buy when priced right) 115 grain 9mm ammo for my Glocks and other 9 mm guns. Right now I am using 115 gr Berry's RN with Titegroup 4.5 gr. I am willing to get a separate toolhead set up for a specific load outside what I already have.

1) I've noticed that more that half of the USPSA 9 mm shooters use 147 grain bullets (instead of 115/124). Any competitive advantage to this? Lower snappiness due to heavier bullet?

2) Do you guys use plated bullets for practice and use a different bullet (ie fully jacketed match) for competition? What is your favorite brand of bullets?

3) Do you load differently for practice vs match? More QA with match ammo or it's the same thing.

4) If I do not have time to reload; what is the best factory load for 147 grain match ammo?

By the way, I just handled a Walther Q5. The ergos and trigger on that gun is soooo much better than a Glock. I might use that as a dedicated gamer gun instead of a G34 MOS.

Thanks in advance!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

American Eagle 115 was the load I used in my Walther PPQ and Q5 pistols. Our multiple Gen 5 34 pistols gobble up American Eagle 115, and regularly shoot five shot, 25 yard groups with American Eagle of about 1.5 inches. This is a five shot, 20 yard group I shot with AE 115 a week or two ago, while zeroing a new DP Pro in a Gen 4 34.

Name:  285ED15E-4D02-46EA-81DC-608902C5B93F.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  62.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Lots of good info

A lot of people shot 115s, 124s or 147s. I don’t think there is a material difference, so if I reloaded I’d probably go 124.

Since I don’t, I shoot AE 147s. They are 140 plus power factor, but I guess I have gotten used to it. At that level my G34s cycle quick enough with a 13 lb recoil spring. I have been pleased with the accuracy and reliability.

I shot the 150gr Syntech in a match yesterday. Not sold completely, but it is definitely softer. The G34 felt a bit sluggish, so if I decide to go with it I would try a Vogel recommended 11 lb recoil spring.

I’d say try a few and see what feels best. And that may change as you gain experience.

USPSA Ammo Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A lot of people shot 115s, 124s or 147s. I don’t think there is a material difference, so if I reloaded I’d probably go 124.

Since I don’t, I shoot AE 147s. They are 140 plus power factor, but I guess I have gotten used to it. At that level my G34s cycle quick enough with a 13 lb recoil spring. I have been pleased with the accuracy and reliability.

I shot the 150gr Syntech in a match yesterday. Not sold completely, but it is definitely softer. The G34 felt a bit sluggish, so if I decide to go with it I would try a Vogel recommended 11 lb recoil spring.

I’d say try a few and see what feels best. And that may change as you gain experience.
    See, I kind of get this.

I grip the crap out of the gun and focus on the front sight. I’ve tried 115 FM, LM, BB, AE; 124 FM, LM, AE, S&B; and 147 AE and LM. Dang if I can tell much difference. It may be my build; although being a bit plump, I actually do have an oddly large chest (44”) and quite a bit of upper body from weightlifting as a kid, which for a guy that’s 5’7” is kind of odd.

As well, since I’ve joined PF, and taken a few classes and done some matches, perhaps *some* recoil control has sunk in. So between that and my chest, maybe I’m just somewhat intolerant to feeling recoil.

Or I’m a completely ignorant on this, which is possible.

At any rate; I can’t get past the positive feeling those 115 LM rounds gave me at the range today. They might be zippy but I kind of liked it; it was like pop pop pop just felt really good in my Glock 19. And the score, well a 97-4X may not be super for some of you guys but “for me” it is like really good.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-29-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    See, I kind of get this.

I grip the crap out of the gun and focus on the front sight. I’ve tried 115 FM, LM, BB, AE; 124 FM, LM, AE, S&B; and 147 AE and LM. Dang if I can tell much difference. It may be my build; although being a bit plump, I actually do have an oddly large chest (44”) and quite a bit of upper body from weightlifting as a kid, which for a guy that’s 5’7” is kind of odd.

As well, since I’ve joined PF, and taken a few classes and done some matches, perhaps *some* recoil control has sunk in. So between that and my chest, maybe I’m just somewhat intolerant to feeling recoil.

Or I’m a completely ignorant on this, which is possible.

At any rate; I can’t get past the positive feeling those 115 LM rounds gave me at the range today. They might be zippy but I kind of liked it; it was like pop pop pop just felt really good in my Glock 19. And the score, well a 97-4X may not be super for some of you guys but “for me” it is like really good.
    I suspect the reason you can’t differentiate between different loads yet, is you are earlier in the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post

Also, I shot a lot of HK's and they were all optimized for 124, so that's how it originated.

Dr. No - Could you elaborate on that?

I’m not a gunsmith, but I’m assuming it has to do with the spring rate of the RSA? I also ask because my 2015 VP9 had a RSA that if I’m not mistaken later in Production was replaced by the .40 RSA. Extending this to my current gun, a Gen 5 Glock, are they ‘tuned’ to a certain ammo or are they more broadly designed than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Dr. No - Could you elaborate on that?

I’m not a gunsmith, but I’m assuming it has to do with the spring rate of the RSA? I also ask because my 2015 VP9 had a RSA that if I’m not mistaken later in Production was replaced by the .40 RSA. Extending this to my current gun, a Gen 5 Glock, are they ‘tuned’ to a certain ammo or are they more broadly designed than that?

Can't find anything now, but I have always been told HK pistols are designed around the 124/125 round due to that being a standard German load. That info came from armorers at the factory when I was shooting for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Can't find anything now, but I have always been told HK pistols are designed around the 124/125 round due to that being a standard German load. That info came from armorers at the factory when I was shooting for the team.
    Same understanding here. When a number of the HK pistols were first designed, like the MP5 and P7, 147 ammo wasn’t really around. 147 could cause malfunctions in the MP5 and P7, as was discovered when 147 ammo became more prevalent. NATO 9mm is 124 grain.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Same understanding here. When a number of the HK pistols were first designed, like the MP5 and P7, 147 ammo wasn’t really around. 147 could cause malfunctions in the MP5 and P7, as was discovered when 147 ammo became more prevalent. NATO 9mm is 124 grain.
    So what are Beretta 92s design ammo? I must assume 124 NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like the new Federal Syntech 150gr match ammo.
    I'll second this - I've had good experience with this load, and the recoil is noticeably softer than any other factory load I've tried. I have some Atlanta Arms Select to use up, but once that's gone the Syntech Action Pistol will be my match ammunition.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List