Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USPSA Ammo Questions

Thanks guys, good info here.

I have a case of Speer Lawman 115 from sgammo in the safe I plan to use for USPSA and my Gabe class in Sep. I took a box to the range today and shot a 97-4X on The Test with my G19.5 today.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That does look like a much better bullet profile for guns with short/tight throats than the ones sitting in my cabinet. The ones I have are much "stubbier."
    I formerly shot the ACME 135’s for eactly that reason. They were slightly more expensive. Now that they fixed the nose profile I am on the 124’s.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 07-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Two different optics (Shield on PPQ and DP Pro on Q5), but you can get the idea how much lower a direct mount places the dot.

Name:  36F69A0B-5A28-4CD9-9D16-73CFBAD84AD5.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  48.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks guys, good info here.

I have a case of Speer Lawman 115 from sgammo in the safe I plan to use for USPSA and my Gabe class in Sep. I took a box to the range today and shot a 97-4X on The Test with my G19.5 today.

Rich, I have done some of my best 100 yard shooting with a Gen 3 17 and Lawman 115. The Lawman 115 load seems especially accurate in multiple Gen 3 pistols. That said, I can’t think of a worse loading for a class where you will shoot a lot, or for USPSA. That load is snappy!

Site Supporter
    I load all my 9mm except self defense ammo. I load the 124s as best compromise on recoil, performance on steel, and cost. I shoot a lot of Bayou 124s and buy the quantity that best fits the USPS "one price shipping" box. Recently, I ran across a deal on "pulled" 147s and loaded them subsonic for my Suppressed MPX - shot them in my M&P 2.0's also and they were very nice shooting!

I load the same load for practice and competition but I pay a lot more attention on QC on match ammo. I pick up range brass and sometimes get a 9mm Major case or such that fails case gauge. I thrown this in a box to be "bulge-busted" later.

>> 3) Do you load differently for practice vs match? More QA with match ammo or it's the same thing.

All ammo get’s QC’d the same. Periodic checks for COAL, crimp and primer seating depth. Periodic (infrequent) checks for 20-throw average charge weights. Everything gets case gauged in a Hundo CG. No diff between practice and match ammo in terms of process. I might use different components (like Federal primers for match).

CG failures (even mildly split cases) go into a ‘CG Failure’ practice ammo bin and are used to see how forgiving various guns/chambers are .
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 07-29-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I am thinking about getting into USPSA production and/or carry optics and I would like to ask the knowledgeable some questions about ammo. I currently reload on my Dillon 650 (or buy when priced right) 115 grain 9mm ammo for my Glocks and other 9 mm guns. Right now I am using 115 gr Berry's RN with Titegroup 4.5 gr. I am willing to get a separate toolhead set up for a specific load outside what I already have.

1) I've noticed that more that half of the USPSA 9 mm shooters use 147 grain bullets (instead of 115/124). Any competitive advantage to this? Lower snappiness due to heavier bullet?

2) Do you guys use plated bullets for practice and use a different bullet (ie fully jacketed match) for competition? What is your favorite brand of bullets?

3) Do you load differently for practice vs match? More QA with match ammo or it's the same thing.

4) If I do not have time to reload; what is the best factory load for 147 grain match ammo?

By the way, I just handled a Walther Q5. The ergos and trigger on that gun is soooo much better than a Glock. I might use that as a dedicated gamer gun instead of a G34 MOS.

Thanks in advance!
    I personally prefer 124/125's. I like the snappy return to center feeling - with 147's I felt like I was waiting on the gun. Also, I shot a lot of HK's and they were all optimized for 124, so that's how it originated. Now I have a load that makes 130pf out of my Hayes Custom STI 9mm, VP9, and my MPX. So I can make one bulk load and shoot it in anything. Much preferable.

I will say that the coated lead seems to be the cheapest route. I found them to still be pretty dirty. Now I buy precision delta 50k at a time. It's a big check to drop, but it'll feed me for 2-3 years and doesn't cost that much more than coated at that point. These are JHP too, so they keep the gun a lot cleaner since the back of the bullet is sealed.

No, use the same loads for both. I chamber check everything. Probably excessive, but it means I can grab anything out of the closet and depend on it.

I'd look at the syntech stuff USPSA is making in conjunction with Federal. Makes good PF, and heavy stuff. May not be the cheapest.

Glocks are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Two different optics (Shield on PPQ and DP Pro on Q5), but you can get the idea how much lower a direct mount places the dot.

Name:  36F69A0B-5A28-4CD9-9D16-73CFBAD84AD5.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  48.8 KB
    I like the PPQ/Q5 but the top of the slide seems too narrow for a direct mount without some type of plate. Am I wrong? Man that DPP sits high on that Q5. Maybe I should stick with the Glock

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Rich, I have done some of my best 100 yard shooting with a Gen 3 17 and Lawman 115. The Lawman 115 load seems especially accurate in multiple Gen 3 pistols. That said, I can’t think of a worse loading for a class where you will shoot a lot, or for USPSA. That load is snappy!
    K.

On the other hand I should not have any cycling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    K.

On the other hand I should not have any cycling issues.
    Yep, I use that load when I want to simulate .40 S&W in my 9mm pistols.

User Tag List