Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Smith Model 14 Dayton Heavy Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Did you get this one, Lt. Dave? Love that honest holster wear on a great working revolver. Lots of the Lord's work can be done with that one!
    Yes I did. Waiting for tracking info. It has a set of Hogue Monogrips on it now. Trying to decide what stocks to use. I'm thinking a pair of Hursts.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Looks awesome. You should be able to do some good work with it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Is that a factory Dayton or a chopped 6”? Either way it nice
    When you're looking at an oddball Smith, the first rule of figuring it out is that anything is possible with S&W, so a factory letter is the only to know for sure. Generally, you can tell by the where lettering (.38 S.&W. Special Ctg.) on the right side of the barrel falls in relation to the rear edge of the locking bolt lug.
    • On a 4" barrel, the space between the W and the ampersand is even with the rear edge of the lug.
    • On a 6" barrel, the space between the 3 and the 8 is in that position.
    • On a 8 3/8" barrel, the 3 is in that position.

This is generally true for K-frames in 38 Special. The marking placement for K-frames in other calibers, N-frames, and J-frames can be different. Whoever designated this placement was a master of esthetics. The placement just looks right, and it looks wrong as hell on a barrel that's been cut.

And yes, I'm a S&W nerd.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Custom Dayton arrives

Just picked up the customized Model 14. Very nice action job with full power springs. Trigger has been rounded and serrations removed. Gun is DAO. Given where this gun came from (Simi Valley in CA), I'm guessing that this was an LAPD duty gun that was converted from 6" to 4" when LAPD decreed that only 4" guns were approved for duty use. I wonder if LAPD armory still has old records of approved duty guns.

It's now wearing a pair of Hurst stocks.
    Last edited by LtDave; 10-05-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Just picked up the customized Model 14. Very nice action job with full power springs. Trigger has been rounded and serrations removed. Gun is DAO. Given where this gun came from (Simi Valley in CA), I'm guessing that this was an LAPD duty gun that was converted from 6" to 4" when LAPD decreed that only 4" guns were approved for duty use. I wonder if LAPD armory still has old records of approved duty guns.

If you need an LAPD contact, PM me and I'll share what I can. I bet all those records are gone though, which is so wrong. I would love to see that revolver and shoot Bonus Course with it! That would be the pinnacle and I bet the revolver would "remember" that course of fire, too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

Time to start shooting some jackrabbits out there in AZ with that one, Lt. Dave!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Not a lot of jackrabbits up here in the forest. Got plenty of elk though.

First 5 rounds out of the custom 14-3

First 5 rounds fired at 7 yards, DA. Ammo was Federal 158 LSWC, 38C.

Name:  IMG_0670.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  46.8 KB

User Tag List