Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith Model 14 Dayton Heavy Barrel

Site Supporter
    I'm not in a position to do anything about this so if you can get past the cerakote:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/809906053

That barrel does not appear to have a taper before it meets the frame. It should make someone a good shooter.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 07-16-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I'm not in a position to do anything about this so if you can get past the cerakote:

That barrel does not appear to have a taper before it meets the frame. It should make someone a good shooter.

Dave
    Could you explain what you mean about the taper?
    The cerakote doesn't really bother me.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    So of a guy wanted to rebarrel a 14 into something like this, what model barrel should he look for?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Could you explain what you mean about the taper?
    The cerakote doesn't really bother me.
    The M-15's barrel tapers down a little in front of the frame. Think of a M-28 (and M-27) if you are familiar with them. Their barrels taper down 1/2" to 1" in front of the frame and remain slim all the way to the muzzle. The M-15 does the same thing. The Dayton 15s have straight, non-tapered barrels, not unlike the M-14s. From what I can see of this Cerakoted example the barrel does not taper.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 07-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.

The M-15's barrel tapers down a little in front of the frame. Think of a M-28 (and M-27) if you are familiar with them. Their barrels taper down 1/2" to 1" in front of the frame and remain slim all the way to the muzzle. The M-15 does the same thing. The Dayton 15s have straight, non-tapered barrels, not unlike the M-14s. From what I can see of this Cerakoted example the barrel does not taper.

Dave
    Thanks, Get you now. It is a good find. Whatever you do, don't tell Bolke That dude can smell these from across the country, his Gun Broker-Fu is at Sensei level.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

I actually bought one of these Smith Model 14 Dayton Heavy Barrels at a time when I was not as interested in revolvers. It came with what seemed like undersized grips and really did not do anything for me. I wound up selling it to a friend that really wanted it. Now I am wondering if I need to find another.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-16-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Site Supporter

Dave
    I think this is likely a Model 15-7, which was produced with a straight profile barrel and shipped with Uncle Mike's grips (like the ones depicted). I have one (15-7) and it's a great shooter, but I still vigorously covet my brother's (Darryl's) Hanen...
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-16-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I think this is likely a Model 15-7, which was produced with a straight profile barrel and shipped with Uncle Mike's grips (like the ones depicted). I have one (15-7) and it's a great shooter, but I still vigorously covet my brother's (Darryl's) Hanen...
    Your 15-7 is another machine in Wayne’s hands. They are pretty close to a Hanen and shoot great.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

So, can Cerakote be removed and then reblued?
    And look decent?

The Hanen guns used a Model 10 HB modified with a ramp sight. Smooth top, no grooves unlike a Model 14 barrel.
    Last edited by LtDave; 07-16-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List