Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Smith Model 14 Dayton Heavy Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, can Cerakote be removed and then reblued?
    And look decent?
    For the right price, anything is possible. For any reasonable amount of money? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I want to see a hanen next to a model 19 or 66

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I want to see a hanen next to a model 19 or 66
    Look at DB's picture on page 4 of this thread. The model 14 on the right is the same profile as a model 19, but without the underlug.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    For the right price, anything is possible. For any reasonable amount of money? No.

Just got off the phone with Ahlman's, who quoted around $260.00 to strip Cerakote and re-blue. Am I missing something here?
    Between that and the minimum bid it is too bad price wise, YET.https://www.ahlmans.com/metal-finishing.html
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Just got off the phone with Ahlman's, who quoted around $260.00 to strip Cerakote and re-blue. Am I missing something here?
    Between that and the minimum bid it is too bad price wise, YET.https://www.ahlmans.com/metal-finishing.html
    Instead of spending money to refinish that gun (which I still believe is a 15-7), why not just hunt down a 15-7 or hold out for one of the Hanen/Dayton Model 14s? I think you'd be happier.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    or hold out for one of the Hanen/Dayton Model 14s? I think you'd be happier.
    My Lord your'e funny!! Good luck with that while Bolke roams the Earth with a functioning Gun Broker account.(May he roam for a long, long time)
    Seriously though, yes, I certainly get your point. Iv'e been sitting hear wondering why it was Cerakoted in the first place. Like what type of mystery is lying under that finish. I see intact 15-7's out there for $599.00. So, yes, I do think I am going to take a hard pass on that one. Just too many unknowns.

But man, those Hanen/Daytons are glorious.

This is a prime example of when desire outruns common sense, thanks for helping talk me in off the ledge.
    (I put that Cerakoted one on my watch list yesterday, but I felt kind of "dirty" doing it. That should have been my first clue)
    Last edited by wvincent; 07-17-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Yep, much better.^^^^^

When you figure that, with shipping the gun and transfer fees, you’ll be north of $700, I’d say it’s high. Especially when you consider it’s still refinished (it will look better blued, but you’ll be into a $400 gun for $700.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    When you figure that, with shipping the gun and transfer fees, you’ll be north of $700, I’d say it’s high. Especially when you consider it’s still refinished (it will look better blued, but you’ll be into a $400 gun for $700.)

I know, I saw that starting to really add up. Dobb's talked me in off the ledge.
    Now, if I could just be the first and only guy to find a Dayton Special, I would be set!

User Tag List