Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where/how do you carry spare ammo if you carry aiwb?

Not AIWB. I used two HKS speed loaders in Safariland Split Six pouches. The pouches held the speed loader with three in front and three behind the belt. The speed loaders were positioned at the appendix. The revolver was behind the hip.

If I were to carry AIWB, I think I would swap the speed loaders to behind the hip and the gun to the appendix position.

Name:  IMG_0191.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by DamonL; 07-28-2018 at 10:14 PM.

When I carried a K-frame, I kept a Comp III in my right back pocket.

Primary reload was a 649-2 carried in my left front pocket.

Speed strip in the front right pocket....and/or another Snub. For my set up with a JMAK AIWB rig it is set up for a pair of JOX loaders behind the gun at like 1:30 and 2-3:00.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Do you mean watch pocket? I carry two speed strips back to back in my watch pocket with the tabs upward. Its been a strip of wadcutters and one of SWCs, which I suppose is what was handy when I loaded them last. The J was usually loaded with wadcutters.

Not exactly your answer, but I normally have a J or Colt D frame and a speedloader in the right front pocket, so a speed loader shouldnt be bad.
    Is that what it's called? I normally have ear plugs in there

My problem with things in my pockets is that 20 years of powerlifting has made my ass a bit big to share any territory in my pants. When I tried pocket carry I could not wrap my hand around a gun and draw. I felt like a raccoon stuck in a trap.

Seems that at least a speed loader isn't bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Speed strip in the front right pocket....and/or another Snub. For my set up with a JMAK AIWB rig it is set up for a pair of JOX loaders behind the gun at like 1:30 and 2-3:00.
    That's a good idea. With the gun drawn they'll be accessable.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Not AIWB. I used two HKS speed loaders in Safariland Split Six pouches. The pouches held the speed loader with three in front and three behind the belt. The speed loaders were positioned at the appendix. The revolver was behind the hip.

If I were to carry AIWB, I think I would swap the speed loaders to behind the hip and the gun to the appendix position.

I like those pouches, thanks.

I also have a Ryan Grizzle holster on order for when I feel like carrying some horse hide behind the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Having the speedloaders between 1:30 to 3:00 would make more sense than my idea. It's closer to your reloading work space.
    Last edited by DamonL; 07-29-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    When I tried pocket carry I could not wrap my hand around a gun and draw. I felt like a raccoon stuck in a trap.

I cant get a full shooting grip, I put my thumb behind the hammer, which both makes enough room to get the gun out easily and keeps the colt hammer from snagging. A J frame isnt as much of an issue to draw with a normal grip. Jeans are tighter, but workable, Carhartts are roomier. DB has mentioned the Duluth Trading Firehose pants as being comfortable and roomy, but I havent tried them yet.

With a wheelgun, I place a speed strip in a pocket accessible to my right hand and another in a pocket accessible to my left. Depending on pocket space and if I'm feeling spunky, one might get swapped for a speed loader.

With an auto, the spare mag goes OWB just behind my weakside hip around 8:30 and bumped up against a belt loop.

I don't carry a reload weakside appendix as I keep a less-lethal there. I'm more likely to need an intermediate weapon than my spare mag so it gets priority placement in a spot readily/quickly drawn with either hand. Even if I dropped the less-lethal, I'd sooner place a small fixed-blade weakside appendix than my reload.

Briefly worked with a guy that AIWBed a P32 with a Clipdraw set to be drawn with his support hand as a BUG. He rarely carried a reload for his primary unless you count the New York variety.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post

What kind of grips are those, Damon?

User Tag List