Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

Is the schrader valve inset too deeply to get on it? If so, do they make extensions for custom wheels or something like that so your air source get get a better contact?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Is the schrader valve inset too deeply to get on it? If so, do they make extensions for custom wheels or something like that so your air source get get a better contact?
    It might be. I’m returning this admittedly cheap pump and will try another. I decided to risk depressing the valve stem, and it does move easily - no air or water was released, so I think the membrane is ok.

From reading, a static pressure of 80 psi is high enough to cause problems with appliances. I really need to look at getting a pressure regulator installed. I also emailed our water utility to ask their range of acceptable static pressures in case it’s something on their end.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    It might be. I’m returning this admittedly cheap pump and will try another. I decided to risk depressing the valve stem, and it does move easily - no air or water was released, so I think the membrane is ok.

From reading, a static pressure of 80 psi is high enough to cause problems with appliances. I really need to look at getting a pressure regulator installed. I also emailed our water utility to ask their range of acceptable static pressures in case it’s something on their end.

What made me think of it, I had to put some air in a tire recently, I couldnt do it without removing the wheel cover.

I havent looked at my expansion tank closely yet, installing it is on the list for this morning.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What made me think of it, I had to put some air in a tire recently, I couldnt do it without removing the wheel cover.

I havent looked at my expansion tank closely yet, installing it is on the list for this morning.
    I reread your first post about the valve, and I think I misunderstood you. On my tank the valve stands completely proud of the tank, my issue is that the pump doesn’t seem to be depressing the stem (fingers crossed) or there’s something internal in the tank preventing air to flow (bad, bad, bad.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I just put the pressure valve on the hose bib, it’s the easiest to access. My static pressure is 80 psi. That seems on the high end, right? I’m thinking installing a pressure regulator at the meter when I change out the house side shutoff to a ball valve is in order.

Next I’ll turn off the water, relieve the pressure and try to charge the expansion tank to 80 psi - I picked up a bicycle pump that can do 120 psi.
    You need to regulate the water pressure before going any further. 80 psi is too high. High water pressure is more than the surge tank is meant to deal with and can cause damage to your dish washer, washing machine etc. Install a pressure regulator and dial it back to about 45 psi. You don't have to install it at the meter. Install it where there water comes in the house and you can get to it easily.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You need to regulate the water pressure before going any further. 80 psi is too high. High water pressure is more than the surge tank is meant to deal with and can cause damage to your dish washer, washing machine etc. Install a pressure regulator and dial it back to about 45 psi. You don't have to install it at the meter. Install it where there water comes in the house and you can get to it easily.
    That’s where my meter is - within a few feet where the water enters the house, with a shutoff on either side of it. So, trying to charge the tank isn’t a good idea right now? We are planning on redoing the kitchen and replacing the washer and dryer, but the pressure is something I want to deal with first.

I’m hoping the water utility will say no bueno and provide the pressure regulator. A man can hope...
    Ken

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/in...essure-issues/

found it finally.
    my trials with water pressure issues.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/in...essure-issues/

found it finally.
    my trials with water pressure issues.
    That was a good read - thanks!
    Ken

That was a good read - thanks!
    you're welcome.
    important thing from doing all that: make sure you can take it apart easily to change the anode and service/replace the expansion tank if needed. especially in my case, as you can't replace the anode without moving the water heater about 2" forward; the joists above are in the way.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    you're welcome.
    important thing from doing all that: make sure you can take it apart easily to change the anode and service/replace the expansion tank if needed. especially in my case, as you can't replace the anode without moving the water heater about 2" forward; the joists above are in the way.
    Mine has good clearance, so I should be ok. I really hope I can replace it with a tankless before too long.
    Ken

User Tag List