Thread: How is the training and competition scene in the Tucson Area

How is the training and competition scene in the Tucson Area

Chances look very strong that I'll be moving to Tucson, next year.

How is the training and competition scene out there?

Places to seek out, avoid?

I'd like to do monthly IDPA, and eventually maybe get into USPSA.

Thanks.

Check out Pima Pistol Club. And if you are reasonably near I-10, Phoenix Rod & Gun Club is not too far away to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Chances look very strong that I'll be moving to Tucson, next year.

How is the training and competition scene out there?

Places to seek out, avoid?

I'd like to do monthly IDPA, and eventually maybe get into USPSA.

Thanks.

Just moved to Tucson, tagging to follow. I've been told there's steel challenge on sundays at IIRC Pima Pistol Club. Also 2 gun action challenge seems to be pretty big around here
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Check out Pima Pistol Club. And if you are reasonably near I-10, Phoenix Rod & Gun Club is not too far away to drive.
    Thanks for the tips! Just looked up the location of Pima and it would be super convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Just moved to Tucson, tagging to follow. I've been told there's steel challenge on sundays at IIRC Pima Pistol Club. Also 2 gun action challenge seems to be pretty big around here
    Steel challenge sounds like fun, I've never done it. And I'm assuming that 2 gun involves AR and pistol correct? I'd totally be into that for sure instead of 3 gun, as I don't even have a shotgun currently

If you go please let me know how you liked Pima, et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Thanks for the tips! Just looked up the location of Pima and it would be super convenient!

Steel challenge sounds like fun, I've never done it. And I'm assuming that 2 gun involves AR and pistol correct? I'd totally be into that for sure instead of 3 gun, as I don't even have a shotgun currently

If you go please let me know how you liked Pima, et. al.
    2 gun involves any rifle and a pistol, you can run it with a .30-30 if you like. Check out InRange TV for more info, they do a lot of 2 gun shoots. Sadly I haven't been to any ranges around here except Marksmans, which is the only game in town for indoor pistol stuff. It's kinda divy but they don't care if you shoot from a holster, or do "rapid fire" so it's not bad
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    How many ranges are in the Tucson area now?

When I was in AZ there were relatively few ranges in Tucson and the granola people were actively trying to get them shut down.

At the time (20 years ago) Pima County was a solid blue area and not as gun friendly as one might think.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How many ranges are in the Tucson area now?

When I was in AZ there were relatively few ranges in Tucson and the granola people were actively trying to get them shut down.

At the time (20 years ago) Pima County was a solid blue area and not as gun friendly as one might think.
    Tucson is still pretty blue, but there are two indoor ranges (both Marksman, same owners), Pima for outdoor and matches and stuff on the north side, another one I don’t remember the name of on the south side, another on the southwest, and rural areas you can shoot informally in not too far out of town. Phoenix is close enough going north - Ben Avery and other ranges up there. Tombstone and other more southern towns have lots of cowboy action, plus local club matches. There’s a match somewhere in driving distance of downtown Tucson almost every day of any given week.

You can pretty much shoot year round in southern AZ.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Tucson is still pretty blue, but there are two indoor ranges (both Marksman, same owners), Pima for outdoor and matches and stuff on the north side, another one I don’t remember the name of on the south side, another on the southwest, and rural areas you can shoot informally in not too far out of town. Phoenix is close enough going north - Ben Avery and other ranges up there. Tombstone and other more southern towns have lots of cowboy action, plus local club matches. There’s a match somewhere in driving distance of downtown Tucson almost every day of any given week.

You can pretty much shoot year round in southern AZ.
    Pima is the one they were trying to shut down when I was there.

Site Supporter
    Still going strong by all accounts. IDPA, USPSA, steel challenge, 2 gun, center fire, rimfire. Pretty much always got something going on. If it weren’t on the far side of Tucson from us, I’d probably spend most of my time there.

Site Supporter
    Pima Pistol Club
    13990 N Lago Del Oro Pkwy
    Tucson, AZ 85739

User Tag List