Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Skeeter fans

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Elmer was about 50 when I was born in 1948. By then he had already conducted most of the experimentation that he reported. Later he got a lot of publicity out of the 44 Magnum and a good bit less from the 41 Magnum. Appreciating Keith requires the reader to recognize his niche and then be aware that the man was addressing sportsmen and hobbyists from the 1930's through the 1960's. His articles appeared in the NRA magazine and Guns and Ammo. He developed a following of faithful fans. Clusterfrack and Tokarov and some others here could outshoot Keith with little effort. He had authority status during his time which has come and gone.
    I was BORN in 1960 and benefited greatly from Elmer Keith's writing well into my 20's. He was and remains a legend in the hunting and shooting world.

Site Supporter
    I should have also said that I have been an Elmer Keith fan since my youth. I have studied just about everything that he wrote. My late friend and I would quote Elmer during our many conversations. The same comments apply to Jeff Cooper and Skeeter Skelton.

Site Supporter
    The article My friend, the 357 is interesting, particularly when juxtaposed against all his articles lauding the praises of the 44 Special. Hand loaded the Special (44) will do just about anything the 357 will do. Those with the 40+ bias might say it does those things even better. (smile)

Dave

I remember reading something by Ross Seyfried where he said something like " when I met Elmer Keith he was old and somewhat diminished , but he was still good past belief." Bear in mind Mr. Seyfried was world combat pistol champion in 1981.

Reminds me of a comment by a member of Col. Townsend Whelen's club.
    "The Colonel shot another good group from memory."
    In his 80s, wearing thick cataract eyeglasses, he could still shoot.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    We all get there....

A day at a time.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    The article My friend, the 357 is interesting, particularly when juxtaposed against all his articles lauding the praises of the 44 Special. Hand loaded the Special (44) will do just about anything the 357 will do. Those with the 40+ bias might say it does those things even better. (smile)
    Perhaps his praise of the 357 has a lot to do with factory loaded ammo and the magnum's ability to duplicate 38 Special with handloads.

I love 357 Magnum revolvers because I mostly fire 38 Specials in them.

357 Magnum has been described as a "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Skeeter also alludes to the 357 Magnum being easier to obtain high velocity with bullets of good ballistic coefficient for flat trajectory than is achievable with 44 Special.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Not to diss Elmer’s contribution to handgunning, but a gun-writer contemporary of his once described in private that his manuscripts looked like “a chicken had walked across an ink pad and onto a sheet of paper.”

He must’ve kept editors busy.
    Elmer and Cooper were not friends. Perhaps some of the friction was educational and class differences between the two men. Out of the group made up of Keith, Skelton, Askins, and Jordan, I think Bill Jordan was the more jovial of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Perhaps his praise of the 357 has a lot to do with factory loaded ammo and the magnum's ability to duplicate 38 Special with handloads.

I love 357 Magnum revolvers because I mostly fire 38 Specials in them.

357 Magnum has been described as a "Jack of all trades, master of none."
    So have I.

A patient's husband needed some car help yesterday. Who did they call?

A patient was having a psychotic break, who did they call?

Someone's car got stuck in a ditch, who did they call?

User Tag List