Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Skeeter fans

Skeeter's books come up for sale on various forums from time to time; I've owned them all over the years but always find someone who wants to pay more for them than I did. Have funded a few sixgun purchases that way. They're great reads and worth seeking out.

We really lost something when Skeeter passed. There were other knowledgeable shootists/gunwriters in his day, but many of them were high on their own supply. Skeeter was a born storyteller who made the words live.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It’d be sweet if the books made it back into print.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I think I have read and re-read about everything Skeeter wrote that I could get my hands on.

I can't recall any of them that I enjoyed more than his saga of Clyde (Jug) Johnson back in 1975.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Back as a young lad living in the city, but dreaming of the country...I wore those magazines out turning the pages.

The one story that still sticks with me (in partial) is about the time he bought the screwed up Colt from the dude at the gun show. I remember him saying how his license plate was carefully smeared with mud and how that should have been his first clue.

Good stuff....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I think I have read and re-read about everything Skeeter wrote that I could get my hands on.

I can't recall any of them that I enjoyed more than his saga of Clyde (Jug) Johnson back in 1975.
    I'm not a fan of the Jug Johnson stories, but I adore the Dobe Grant ones, especially the story where he and Dobe goes into Dobe's gun room and build a single action 45 from spare parts he had on hand. I want to have a gun room and inventory that lets me do that one day.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    It’d be sweet if the books made it back into print.
    I’d love to see them reprinted and I really don’t know why they haven’t. I realize the target market is relatively small but with print on demand it should be doable to have them reprinted at a reasonable price. My fear is if someone was able to get the project up and running, it would turn into some super fancy, leather bound edition that drives up the price and reduces the number of buyers to the point the project is no longer economically feasible.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’d love to see them reprinted and I really don’t know why they haven’t. I realize the target market is relatively small but with print on demand it should be doable to have them reprinted at a reasonable price. My fear is if someone was able to get the project up and running, it would turn into some super fancy, leather bound edition that drives up the price and reduces the number of buyers to the point the project is no longer economically feasible.
    The reprints of Elmer Keith's body of work haven't done too well. Both men haven't been active writers in decades and wrote about topics not relevant to the majority of shooters. That said, the EK reprints were pretty basic paper-bound volumes at reasonable prices, so I wouldn't expect Skeeter's to be any different. The main issue is lack of sales potential.

How many people under 40 know these two guys and find their work relevant to the Glock and AR crowd?

Chris

My favorite story is of the visitor in the black hat with the.410 cane gun. Years later I saw one in a museum.

I can’t believe what the books list for now. I got my grandpa the first one for Christmas one year but grandma had got him the set so he gave me one back. I also think I have the Skelton on Handguns magazine around here some where. It’s listing for as much as the hardcover books.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The reprints of Elmer Keith's body of work haven't done too well. Both men haven't been active writers in decades and wrote about topics not relevant to the majority of shooters. That said, the EK reprints were pretty basic paper-bound volumes at reasonable prices, so I wouldn't expect Skeeter's to be any different. The main issue is lack of sales potential.

How many people under 40 know these two guys and find their work relevant to the Glock and AR crowd?

Chris

That’s the problem. Old farts reading about really old farts....

I wonder if one day they’ll be a “Oh dude! I got the original a Chris Costa “Art of the Handgun” CD!”

Dear Lord I hope not....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List