Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Skeeter fans

I love Skeeter! I have read all of his stories over and over again. I have two copies of his books and one of copy of the book published by his wife. They are most cherished books and I keep them in two separate locations to better insure I retains at least one set.

I have a very nice 624 4" that I think Skeeter would have really liked. I also have two 5" 27's that are every bit as good as he wrote about them.

Thanks for the pointing out that site.

Good evening to all,

Matt

It’s been a while, let’s bump it up again.

Name:  E833F13B-755E-4919-AA54-467069D1B3C6.jpeg
Views: 523
Size:  41.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A meeting of the Skelton and Keith clans.

Name:  idealHP-2.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  358156hp-2.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  358439.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  98.8 KB
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    I bought “Skeeter Skelton on Handguns” at the Base Exchange in the fall of 1980 when I was going through the AF Security Police Academy

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Keith wrote extensively about both hand-loading and hand-gun hunting. His book "Sixguns" (1955) has chapters on both subjects; his early book "Sixguns Cartridges and Loads" (1936) does as well. Although not a storyteller of the same caliber as Skelton, I don't think Keith's writing was "technical" in the sense that we would think today. The majority of "Sixguns," for instance, is Keith's stories about using revolvers in the field. One criticism that can be made of Keith's writing is that the technical points that remain relevant today often are buried beneath endless paragraphs of storytelling
    I agree with your take on Elmer's writing, however I found "Hell, I was There" to be a great read. I bought Sixguns at the same time and it was sort of tough one to get through.
    I can't remember an author who could tell stories as well as Skeeter. Peter H Capstick is a close second. Great story tellers who lived adventurous lives. The world could use a few more of those kind.

Was it Skeeter that wrote the story from his Border Patrol days where he spent off time shooting jack rabbits along the dirt roads with his 357? One time he had just shot one when a radio call came in of a couple guys spotting coming across. He didnt have time to pick up the jack, just headed for the location and picked up the guys. On the way back, he stopped on a hilltop some many hundreds of yards from where he shot the jack, got out, peered off into the distance, carefully fired one shot, got back in the car, drove to where the jack was, got out and picked it up. The startled occupants of the back seat had a very animated discussion about the events they had just witnessed firsthand.

He was a fun writer, I need to locate his books to read.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Now that’s funny!🤣
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Anecdote alert:

A National Park Ranger (ret) told a Skeeteresque story at lunch this past Wednesday.

He and a partner were patrolling a stretch of the Natchez Trace where "wild boar' (feral pigs) were a considerable problem.
    They saw a hog close to the road, and although they were forbidden to shoot wildlife, his partner leaned out the window and opened fire. They found the hog, as he put it, "stitched from end to end." They dutifully called it in as a found carcass.

The dispatcher said: "OK, I will call Fish and Game and they will send somebody out to do an autopsy."
    They looked at each other, and knew they had A Problem. So they dragged the hog to a steep drop-off and kicked it down a deep ravine. Then radioed back:
    "No need to bother, they could never get at it."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I was skiing with a school group one day when two snowmobiles came flying up the summit with L.E. Forest Service on the backs. They dismounted, strapped on snowshoes, and did a check of a common yet illicit backcountry trail cutting operation. A few runs later, we offloaded as they came back out and lost the snowshoes. One then grabbed a snowboard and strapped in while in full uniform and very much armed. He called into dispatch as still checking trails and proceeded to bomb down to the terrain park, hitting jumps and the halfpipe while on duty.

"Hey, SCCY, what was that?" Came the voice of one of the teens.

"A God damned American living the dream."

I swear the Parks and Forest Service guys are underrated for the stories they have to tell.

Not to diss Elmer’s contribution to handgunning, but a gun-writer contemporary of his once described in private that his manuscripts looked like “a chicken had walked across an ink pad and onto a sheet of paper.”

He must’ve kept editors busy.

User Tag List