Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: For the Skeeter fans

Name:  IMG_0446.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  34.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Ruh Roh....what’s brewing?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Ruh Roh....what’s brewing?
    Nothing, just time to bump it up for the ones that may have missed the past conversations.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Name:  825800D5-E242-4C59-B3E0-A96DDE9DB617.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  58.0 KB

Yes...it is that time of year again. Time to break out the field revolvers, grab the lever gun, and go for a nice walk.

My current romance with the 329pd not withstanding, a nice N frame .357 or .44, appropriately loaded wadcutters, a pair of well worn gloves, and appropriate leather gear warms my heart.

I brought my 28 with me last week, but never wore it.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Name:  825800D5-E242-4C59-B3E0-A96DDE9DB617.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  58.0 KB

Yes...it is that time of year again. Time to break out the field revolvers, grab the lever gun, and go for a nice walk.

My current romance with the 329pd not withstanding, a nice N frame .357 or .44, appropriately loaded wadcutters, a pair of well worn gloves, and appropriate leather gear warms my heart.

I brought my 28 with me last week, but never wore it.
    I was pretty tempted to carry my m19 today on a nice long hike but decided on a 1911.

Maybe next time.

I have been carrying my m19 a lot recently though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The reprints of Elmer Keith's body of work haven't done too well. Both men haven't been active writers in decades and wrote about topics not relevant to the majority of shooters. That said, the EK reprints were pretty basic paper-bound volumes at reasonable prices, so I wouldn't expect Skeeter's to be any different. The main issue is lack of sales potential.

How many people under 40 know these two guys and find their work relevant to the Glock and AR crowd?

Chris
    I haven't read anything from either one and I don't own a Glock or an AR. I shot my first deer around 1965. I read Outdoor Life and Field and Stream cover to cover when I could get one. I've read all of Jack O'Conner's books thought.

I surmise, but don't know, that Skeeter and Keith were revolver shooters.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I haven't read anything from either one and I don't own a Glock or an AR. I shot my first deer around 1965. I read Outdoor Life and Field and Stream cover to cover when I could get one. I've read all of Jack O'Conner's books thought.

I surmise, but don't know, that Skeeter and Keith were revolver shooters.
    Yes, both best known as revolver shooters. Keith is considered the father of the magnum revolver cartridges especially the .44 Magnum. Oddly, since you mentioned O'Connor, Keith had a mostly one-sided feud with O'Connor. While a heck of shooter, Keith honestly wasn't much of a writer and had some editorial help cleaning up his writing. Really like O'Connor stuff myself.

Skeeter was an old school Border Patrol agent and sheriff. He wrote with a light touch and frequently a sense of humor. One of my favorite gun writers. Think I've posted this in this thread before but some of his articles are online here:

http://darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Worth checking out if you've never read him before (or even if you have...)
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Yes, both best known as revolver shooters. Keith is considered the father of the magnum revolver cartridges especially the .44 Magnum. Oddly, since you mentioned O'Connor, Keith had a mostly one-sided feud with O'Connor. While a heck of shooter, Keith honestly wasn't much of a writer and had some editorial help cleaning up his writing. Really like O'Connor stuff myself.

Skeeter was an old school Border Patrol agent and sheriff. He wrote with a light touch and frequently a sense of humor. One of my favorite gun writers. Think I've posted this in this thread before but some of his articles are online here:

http://darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Worth checking out if you've never read him before (or even if you have...)
    Elmer was semi-illiterate.

A contemporary gun-writer who helped edit some of his work said it looked like “a chicken had walked across an ink pad then danced on a sheet of paper.” I’m sure he was quite talented with a handgun and a pioneer in many ways, but he always struck me as a boastful blow-hard.

O’Conner had been a college professor and was the antithesis of Elmer. By all accounts, the strict, grumpy professor stereotype fit him to a tee, and he wasn’t a lot of fun to hang out with.

Skeeter was hugely entertaining and influenced my love of revolvers, but I didn’t glean a lot useful info from his writings.

One could read the writings of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Bill Jordan, and, collectively, learn much about revolvers. One could read Bill Jordan and Charlie Askins, collectively, and learn much about gunfighting. Their articles and columns sometimes contained reactions to what the other had written. One could tell that Skeeter Skelton had a working knowledge of gunfighting, but, well, just did not go there, in his writing. Some of what Elmer Keith wrote, about gunfighting, and law enforcement weapons, indicated that he had certainly interviewed some gunfighters, and knew some gunfighters, but had some knowledge gaps, regarding gunfighting, and law enforcement. Elmer Keith was certainly an avid hunter, but mostly with rifles, if he was the one doing the hunting. His adventures with long-range hits, with a .44 revolver, were mostly while guiding client hunters.

These are my impressions, based upon what I gathered, reading while these gentlemen were still actively writing for the gun magazines. Of course, I am remembering this, from having read these magazines, decades ago. I have reread much of _Sixguns_, by Keith, more recently.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    One could read the writings of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Bill Jordan, and, collectively, learn much about revolvers. One could read Bill Jordan and Charlie Askins, collectively, and learn much about gunfighting. Their articles and columns sometimes contained reactions to what the other had written. One could tell that Skeeter Skelton had a working knowledge of gunfighting, but, well, just did not go there, in his writing. Some of what Elmer Keith wrote, about gunfighting, and law enforcement weapons, indicated that he had certainly interviewed some gunfighters, and knew some gunfighters, but had some knowledge gaps, regarding gunfighting, and law enforcement. Elmer Keith was certainly an avid hunter, but mostly with rifles, if he was the one doing the hunting. His adventures with long-range hits, with a .44 revolver, were mostly while guiding client hunters.

These are my impressions, based upon what I gathered, reading while these gentlemen were still actively writing for the gun magazines. Of course, I am remembering this, from having read these magazines, decades ago. I have reread much of _Sixguns_, by Keith, more recently.
    While we are discussing books by Elmer Keith, I highly recommend "Hell, I Was There!" Excellent book and never grows old.

User Tag List