Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman .357 Magnum Tests

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Nine loads tested:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...mag-cartridge/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I'd like to have seen Federal's Vital Shok 357 included in the review. It uses the Barnes 140 grain copper bullet and I think is about as fine a self defense round as you're going to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I'd like to have seen Federal's Vital Shok 357 included in the review. It uses the Barnes 140 grain copper bullet and I think is about as fine a self defense round as you're going to find.
    Isn't the Vital Shok a hunting load? It is probably loaded hotter than it needs to be for personal defense. What's the minimum expansion velocity for that bullet? A 357 Mag loaded to a bit above that velocity would probably make an excellent general defensive load. Something at around 1,000 FPS perhaps. It probably wouldn't pack so much wallop that it is too difficult to control.

Barnes does have a 125gr 357 load that might be close in performance to the GBW load tested here. It would likely be a solid choice.

As it stands now, I would probably choose the 357 Critical Duty for my 357 snub and 38 Critical Defense for my 38 snub.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given modern ammunition performance, the .357 Magnum is really obsolete if you think about it.
    For police duty use, or concealed carry I heartily agree. I still think it has utility in a "woods gun" role though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Isn't the Vital Shok a hunting load? It is probably loaded hotter than it needs to be for personal defense. What's the minimum expansion velocity for that bullet? A 357 Mag loaded to a bit above that velocity would probably make an excellent general defensive load. Something at around 1,000 FPS perhaps. It probably wouldn't pack so much wallop that it is too difficult to control.

Barnes does have a 125gr 357 load that might be close in performance to the GBW load tested here. It would likely be a solid choice.

As it stands now, I would probably choose the 357 Critical Duty for my 357 snub and 38 Critical Defense for my 38 snub.
    I don't think the Vital Shok is a hunting round in .357. I could be wrong.

The only test results I could find quickly were those published by Lucky Gunner:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...s-test/#357mag

Out of a 2 inch barrel the Vital Shok penetrates 16.7 inches and expands to .67 inches with a velocity of 1106 fps. Pretty close to ideal, I think.

Out of a 4 inch barrel, 19.9 inches penetration and .63 expansion, 1300 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given modern ammunition performance, the .357 Magnum is really obsolete if you think about it.
    In what context?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Out of a 2 inch barrel the Vital Shok...velocity of 1106 fps. Pretty close to ideal, I think.
    Buffalo Bore has both a "tactical" and "heavy" 140gr load. The "tactical" might be a very good option for defense ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=324

The 140 gr. Barnes XPB bullet should be a good choice for hunting and protection. The Buffalo Bore "Tactical" loading is 50-100 fps slower than the Federal or Barnes offerings from a 4" barrel. Federal considers their Barnes Expander (P357XB1) suitable for medium game such as hog and standard whitetail deer. In the Lucky Gunner test the XPB expanded perfectly at 1090 fps; therefore, with Federal's advertised 1400 fps muzzle velocity from a six inch revolver, the bullet is capable of expansion at 125 yards or further.

It would seem the perfect 357 Mag snub load already exists in the form of the 135gr Critical Duty. It worked well in these tests. 2nd choice is anything loaded with a 125gr Barnes that gives 1150ish feet per second whether it is loaded by Buffalo Bore, Barnes, GBW, etc.

Next question is how these loads shoot in your particular gun. Will either load be close to aim if you are stuck with fixed sights?

I wonder how well 9mm does from a 1.87 inch barrel. Probably not very impressive.

I had an email response from one Paul Nowack(sp?), a or the lead designer on the Winchester Ranger Talon, in which he states 147gr variant (RA9T) would expand as low as 660fps. A snub will produce higher velocities than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I had an email response from one Paul Nowack(sp?), a or the lead designer on the Winchester Ranger Talon, in which he states 147gr variant (RA9T) would expand as low as 660fps. A snub will produce higher velocities than that.
    Expand or sort of smoosh? I doubt we'd see full-on flowering at that low speed.

User Tag List