It’s a 9mm semi-auto world we live in.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    It’s a 9mm semi-auto world we live in.

Probably not a bad world....[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

And this is why I roll my eyes at people that insist that .357 Magnum from a snubbie is more better than .38 Special +P...
    They're going for the flash-bang effect?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

So, are yall sayin the a 9mm LCR would be a better choice than the .38? I have a couple of revolver purchases on the horizon and just doing my diligent research.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    So, are yall sayin the a 9mm LCR would be a better choice than the .38? I have a couple of revolver purchases on the horizon and just doing my diligent research.
    I wonder how well 9mm does from a 1.87 inch barrel. Probably not very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder how well 9mm does from a 1.87 inch barrel. Probably not very impressive.

A 1.87” revolver barrel isn’t all that much shorter than say a 3.1” M&P Shield barrel that includes the chamber in the overall length of the barrel.

A 9mm chamber is generally how long?

A 1.87” revolver barrel isn’t all that much shorter than say a 3.1” M&P Shield barrel that includes the chamber in the overall length of the barrel.

A 9mm chamber is generally how long?

3/4 of an inch? Give or take.

Does the 9mm work well from a 3.1" barrel? Shooting the Bull did a bunch of gel testing of various 9mm loads from small autos. From what I remember, he had a fairly hard time finding loads that met the FBI specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    3/4 of an inch? Give or take.

Does the 9mm work well from a 3.1" barrel? Shooting the Bull did a bunch of gel testing of various 9mm loads from small autos. From what I remember, he had a fairly hard time finding loads that met the FBI specs.
    IIRC @DocGKR stated that anything on “The List” generally does well from a barrel that short.

IIRC @DocGKR stated that anything on “The List” generally does well from a barrel that short.

If that's correct then it gets back to the idea that the 357 (and 38) would really benefit from some modern R&D.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Generally yes. What if you prefer penetration to be on the higher side and also rate barrier penetration highly? Doesn't the .357 maintain superiority over the .38 in that case?

On the thread, about if the .40 is obsolete I was impressed (as always) by KhanRad's comments about his experience shooting up cars.
    In terms of penetration I'd say the .357 still has a slight edge. When you get into the smaller, shorter barreled weapons the .38 and .357 are commonly carried in these days, I think concerns of controllability and shot placement take priority over barrier penetration. I also feel that barrier penetration is the flavor of the moment and isn't as big of a concern for the average citizen as some would let on. It's not that I think it's irrelevant, because I spend my working days around vehicles too and I'm very cognizant of its importance. But, there's always something that seems to be the fixation of the moment and barrier penetration seems to be one right now. My current issue sidearm is a .40 and I have no criticism of it in overall performance, but next month it will be replaced by a 9mm and I have few real concerns over that.

My opinion is that, in the overall picture, modern ammunition in the various service calibers give similar performance to the .357 Magnum. I'm not down on the round. After all, there's one in my avatar. However, more modern weapons give similar levels of performance without all of the muzzle blast and recoil, with far greater capacity as a bonus. The juice seems to have been fully squeezed from the .357 and other fruit are far more ripe for picking.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List