Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique my reload

My reload is similar to Lon, except my index and middle finger split the ejector rod. Makes a cup in the back for things going wrong and works with both loaders and speed strips or even loose rounds. I try to bring the gun facing nose down to the belt line right by the loaders. This was for two reasons...gravity and least movement of the loaders from the pouch, and I usually had another revolver behind the loaders if I needed another gun right now and my strong hand would be free to access it while the revolver was in the support hand. My system is really based on adaptation of the Stressfire. I dumped a majority of the Stressfire stuff the week I hit the street from the Academy as unworkable. The big exception was the reload technique.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-27-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I am a die-hard Ayoob "stressfire" reload guy, and Malamute has already described why. The first time you get an empty case re-chambered under the ejector star on a j-frame, you’ll go vertical faster than a lockheed f-104 test pilot.

I use the weak hand reload method. Pistol stays in my right hand [I am right handed], ejection and reload come from the left. Spares kept on left side like a semi-auto.

Also....Lucky Gunner as usual is exceptional on this. Watch learn and realize that certain guns may need or be better with a different technique, or the situation may dictate different.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.luc...-revolver/amp/
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Here's my Gamey IDPA reload.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I use the weak hand reload method. Pistol stays in my right hand [I am right handed], ejection and reload come from the left. Spares kept on left side like a semi-auto.
    With a full-size revolver?

I tried the non-hand transfer reload a lot when I had a 642, but it can't maintain positive control of the cylinder doing such on a K-frame.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    With a full-size revolver?

I tried the non-hand transfer reload a lot when I had a 642, but it can't maintain positive control of the cylinder doing such on a K-frame.
    Full size yes. Smith K & L frame + Colt Official Police. I have largish hands. I use my trigger finger through the frame to control the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Here's my Gamey IDPA reload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvCGcD-FAg
    Very nice Sir.. Mine is not so fast but it works well for me. I put my reloads on the weak side too. Same as my semi-auto.

For you guys that keep the revolver in your shooting hand, I have a question about when you unload the cylinder.

The videos appear to show that you're not pointing the barrel upward when unloading the cylinder. Do you have any concerns about the empties not ejecting clearly, or is the ejection stroke strong enough that it's not a concern?

Thanks.
    Ordinary guy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve tried the different reload techniques and ended up using my own. I’ve got smedium sized hands and never felt comfortable with the kind you do in the video.

I like that . Looks smooth and efficient.

User Tag List