Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Critique my reload

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I am a die-hard Ayoob "stressfire" reload guy, and Malamute has already described why. The first time you get an empty case re-chambered under the ejector star on a j-frame, you’ll go vertical faster than a lockheed f-104 test pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think mine was on a K-frame, but it made me a believer.
    Smith made some different extractor rod springs, Im not positive, but think they were light blue color. I came into a gun that didnt have full extractor rod travel, it stacked up solid well before running out of rod length. In studying on the matter, there was a different spring, i dont recall if it was called a California or LE spring, but was intended to reduce the rod travel to try to reduce or eliminate the cases getting under the star. Preferring the sharp slap ejection which doesnt tend to get cases under the star, I got a normal spring for the gun and have full travel of the rod. Ive recently come across another one, and it turns out the only replacement springs I have are the blue ones. Not sure how I ended up with a couple of them new in Brownells packages, I wouldnt have ordered that type if given a choice.

I'm a believer in sharp ejector strokes and as much travel as one can reasonably get. I modified my Ruger SAs with a different rod and shortened the spring, when reloading the 45 SAs, the empties land about 3-4 feet away and to my 7:00-8:00. The longer rod and sharp stroke make a difference there also.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-31-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Phrasing...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I was never quite as fast as you from concealment. I always managed to screw it up. From open top sans vest/cover garment, 2.5 was doable, but it never failed I'd flag the garment or something when trying to go fast with concealment. It also never failed, that I'd start trying to get sub-2.5 from an open-top holder and I'd not get the cartridges to drop in or I'd screw up and let the cylinder go, before the speed-loader was fully released. Trying to close a gun on an HKS speed loader is a recipe for, "OW, fuck my palm!"

From concealment with a carry gun (2-3" gun), I was reliably in the 2.7-second range. Which was always "good enough" for me, because like I said - positive reloads - trump speed for me in a defensive gun. Though, like everything, when you spend like 10-hours a week doing nothing but reloads as fast as possible, all of them get faster by proxy.

This is back when I think both of us were simultaneously focusing on getting sub-5 second FASTs with revolvers. I'm probably like a glacial 3.5-4 seconds or something now, since I haven't even run a wheelgun in practice for almost 3-years.
    I’m in the same boat, to be honest. I haven’t seriously shot a revolver since IDPA Nationals in 2014.

Great reading in this thread! And thanks all for the informative videos. I'm still trying to figure out my preferred reload technique for a j-frame so this is all very interesting.

Here is de Bethencourt's technique:
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Working on my reloads today. Outdoor videos show me struggling to get the speed loaders to click and the indoor videos show me struggling to find the hole.. Federal .357 Magnum JSP loads are not conducive to reloading quickly it seems.

Did you have a ricochet come off the steel and hit your tripod?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Are you using spin-the-knob type speedloaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Did you have a ricochet come off the steel and hit your tripod?
    I thought that too. My phone was just propped on a rock. If something hit my phone it didn't leave a mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Are you using spin-the-knob type speedloaders?
    No, safariland comp ll. Im not sure what I was doing different than normal, except for not pushing hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    No, safariland comp ll. Im not sure what I was doing different than normal, except for not pushing hard enough.
    Get some JetLoaders and some kydex pouches. If you still want to carry loaders in the pocket, get JetLoaders anyway. They are the heat.

User Tag List