Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique my reload

Critique my reload

I've dabbled in revolvers in the past. My edc for almost 2 years was my 4 inch Redhawk and I've carried my Blackhawk before as well. I've never focused much on reloads or defensive training with them though.

I got my M19 about a month ago so have been working on my reloads.

What can I work on?

Have you looked into the other styles of reloads?

I like what Mas describes as the FLETC reload because of the more positive ejection compared to the FBI reload that you're using. My preference might be colored by the use of 2.5" K-frames as opposed to 4" variants, and the correspondingly shorter ejection stroke....

I have nothing else. Just wanted to bring that up for your consideration if you hadn't thought it over yet.

Last edited by TGS; 07-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Strictly in terms of keeping the gun running reliably, Ive gone to only muzzle straight up, sharp slap on the extractor rod with the right hand, then load. It keeps junk from getting under the star. With the gun at an angle, and slow push, shells can sometimes get under the star also, the worst being a case goes back into a chamber with the rim under the star. Anything else related to the reload comes after that ejection method. Thats all I can suggest.

Makes sense. Thank you

My advice is to practice reloading behind a barrier. It's never a good idea to remain a stationary target for a bad guy who wants you reduced to evidence of murder and autopsied the following morning. Other than that, you're looking good.

Admittedly this is a dated video; however, watch how the cop ducks out of line of sight of a bad guy to reload. At the end, he does it with a speed loader:

One more hopefully helpful tip: practice reloading your revolver using dummy rounds in complete darkness. As long as you're sure that you're using dummy rounds, you can practice in your bedroom. It's difficult, but with practice it can be mastered.

I’ve tried the different reload techniques and ended up using my own. I’ve got smedium sized hands and never felt comfortable with the kind you do in the video.

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I made myself some dummy rounds in the late 80s and practiced the Stressfire reload before entering the police academy. It works well and I was one of the fastest ones in the class on the reload.

User Tag List