Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Week 279: Vickers 300

289-11X and 286-11X with a Browning Buckmark.
    David S.

I shot this three times today with my usual carry Gen4 Glock 19 using FC M885 124gr ball. Gun wears orange/red Trijicon HD's, and has minus connector and a Gadget. I forgot to keep track of individual strings except for run #2...

Run#1 255-3x

Run#2 WHO 93-1X
    SHO 82-1X
    2H 94-5X
    Total: 269-7X

Run#3 268-4X

Things I noticed:

I am right handed, and WHO @ 5 yards was less challenging than I recalled in the past, but I was still pushing shots to the right during each run, with some horizontal stringing out that way. SHO @ ten yards I was doing the opposite and stringing them horizontally, but mostly to the left. I think that the horizontal stringing is grip issues, along with finger placement on the trigger. The SHO portion of run #2 really cost me, as I shanked several shots into the 6 and 7 rings. Freestyle I tightened up my grip and wobble zone quite a bit, but I was still rushing shots, mostly because I was getting impatient, and I lost a few shots that should have been 10's or X's into the 9's.

This was a my first range trip in several months (life got in the way for a bit), and I have not been dryfiring or practicing at all. I can tell I'm rusty. Overall, not bad performance considering my lack of practice and having recently jacked up my right wrist/arm/shoulder. I also put about 75 rounds through my 442 with decent results, considering again my lack of practice. Working that DAO gun makes shooting the Glock feel like easy mode.

I should have shot each string on a new bull to make scoring each string easier. Shooting at a hanging paper target with no backer using RN FMJ ammo leaves a lot to be desired as far as bullet holes and grease marks for scoring. I usually shoot paper targets on cardboard backers, but the indoor range doesn't work that way.

Site Supporter
    Glock 19 Gen 5

WHO - 100 - 9X
    SHO - 100 (didn't get X count)
    Freestyle - 95 (no X count)
    Total - 295 - 17X
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Last week I re-acquired my early 2010 Gen 4 G17 from where it had been a safe queen for a few years. Put my KKM G17 barrel in it. With OEM barrel I'd seen it shoot 2" for 5 a few times. FWIW I also changed it's OEM minus connector to a Taran Tactical connector and the two feel indistinguishable and both weigh 5 lbs on my scale. (shrug)

This G17 has 11,500 rounds though my own logs, I think that's pretty close. Runs, ejects like a champ and interestingly it still has the original un-marked .40 weight RSA they were originally sold with. Retracting the slide is dramatically harder than current Gen 4 and Gen 5 9mm. I never bought the RSA weights being a major factor in the early Gen 4 teethings issues. But that's all water long over the dam.

WHO - 100-9X
    SHO - 98-5X
    Freestyle (which this time for the first time I remembered to shoot from 20 yards vs 25) - 98-?X

Total 296

Name:  Vickers 300 8.19.2018.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  39.3 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Last week I re-acquired my early 2010 Gen 4 G17 from where it had been a safe queen for a few years. Put my KKM G17 barrel in it. With OEM barrel I'd seen it shoot 2" for 5 a few times. FWIW I also changed it's OEM minus connector to a Taran Tactical connector and the two feel indistinguishable and both weigh 5 lbs on my scale. (shrug)

This G17 has 11,500 rounds though my own logs, I think that's pretty close. Runs, ejects like a champ and interestingly it still has the original un-marked .40 weight RSA they were originally sold with. Retracting the slide is dramatically harder than current Gen 4 and Gen 5 9mm. I never bought the RSA weights being a major factor in the early Gen 4 teethings issues. But that's all water long over the dam.

WHO - 100-9X
    SHO - 98-5X
    Freestyle (which this time for the first time I remembered to shoot from 20 yards vs 25) - 98-?X

Total 296

Blistering run!

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Freestyle (which this time for the first time I remembered to shoot from 20 yards vs 25)

20 is significantly easier (20% I guess due to math)! I had never shot at that range before, usually skipping it for 25.

Site Supporter
    Larry used the 20 yard line because you're doubling the distance at each stage. I've also seen him use 3/6/9 yards for very basic folks and five shots per stage. His drills aren't really chiseled in stone but are subject to variation depending on the class and his mood, I think!

Hadn’t planned on shooting this tonight but decided it would be a good way to work on tonight’s goal, shot calling.

Didn’t think to add up totals after each string. Also wish I had used three different targets. 30 rounds of 45 ACP was impossible to score accurately.

Springfield Combat Operator
    261/300

Observations

Shot too fast. Anticipated lots of trigger presses. I have put 450 rounds through this pistol including 140 tonight. I realized I don’t have a good idea of the POA/POI on this pistol yet.

“If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hammertime
    Ruger LCR 9mm

Vickers 300:

WHO@5: 97
    SHO@10: 97
    2H@20: 48 with four misses off target.
    Total: 242-4.

Fell off the rails at 20.

P30 V3 cond 1

Damn, lots of high performance scores up in here.
    I thought this would go fairly smoothly, it did not.
    Ran it 3 times in the last 2 days, here's my top score (others were 284/283 respectively)

There's one shot super close to the 9 ring...but the grease line touched the 10...dunno it is what it is.
    Never been very good at SHO/WHO, but I've been practicing it recently so I thought this was an opportune time to run this and participate.
    In general, I'm just not as accurate or controlled or strong as I would need to be to shoot higher scores I'm thinking.
    That USPc V7 target result is bannanas, I'm more than humbled.

Edit: the "photo per string" will be up in my journal, for posterity.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 08-24-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List