Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 279: Vickers 300

Week 279: Vickers 300

Week 279: Vickers 300

Results may be posted until August 27th, 2018.

Designed by: Larry Vickers
    Range: 5-20 yards
    Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: any
    Rounds Fired: 30

A variation of the 300 from Larry Vickers - hat tips to Hardwired Tactical for writing it up here: http://www.hardwiredtacticalshooting...p9-class-day-2 and to Chris Edwards of GLOCK Professional for suggesting it!

Put up a B8 target. At 5 yards, fire 10 rounds support hand only. At 10 yards, fire 10 rounds strong hand only. At 20 yards, fire 10 rounds freestyle.

No time limit.

Score points using the scoring rings.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol used
    Score for each string
    Total score for all strings combined
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    One of our favorites! Larry also taught that at five yards, your acceptable zone is the X ring; at 10 yards it's the 10 ring and at 20 yards the black is your "pass" zones.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks very much for the additional comments Wayne! Much appreciated!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

G19 with Ameriglo Sights

String one= 100

String two = 98

String three= 98

Total of 296

The support hand was solid as I have been putting in the extra work on it the last few months.

The gun hand string was solid as well. I called both shots in the nine-ring to the right and surely that is where both were.

The freestyle string was good. I knew both shots in the nine-ring too.

Overall, out of 30 shots, 26 were ten ringers and I knew exactly which ones were not. Name:  IMG_3990.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  82.1 KB
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Henrichs View Post
    G19 with Ameriglo Sights

String one= 100

String two = 98

String three= 98

Total of 296

The support hand was solid as I have been putting in the extra work on it the last few months.

The gun hand string was solid as well. I called both shots in the nine-ring to the right and surely that is where both were.

The freestyle string was good. I knew both shots in the nine-ring too.

Overall, out of 30 shots, 26 were ten ringers and I knew exactly which ones were not. Name:  IMG_3990.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  82.1 KB
    You're a legit 300 shooter I'd guess. The vicissitudes of life and shooting can give you four random nines without much reason!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    One of our favorites! Larry also taught that at five yards, your acceptable zone is the X ring; at 10 yards it's the 10 ring and at 20 yards the black is your "pass" zones.
    Good info Wayne. Making note on my drill sheet.

JW

New (to me) 19X, Ameriglo “Bold” sights, narrow yellow front. Lit indoor range.
    String1: 100(10s&Xs)
    String2: 98, “8” right, called it when I pushed it.
    String3: 85(!)-What the hell! Then I thought it through, looking at target1)10,(6)9s clustered @11-12:00, and (3)7s just at 12:00 high. I think I was “hunting” for the top of the front sight w/eyes with 65 years of experience. The lighting was a possible factor also. Might try 20 yards first next time. TOTAL:283
    I really like this for the concentration and focus it takes.
    FWIW, went to AAR, and saw a “short range” version-3,5 and 7 yards.
    299, one 9 low, two handed, called it when I crunched the trigger.
    Thanks again to Mr.White for his work, and appreciate the Hits folks efforts.

G19-5 concealed draw from AIWB

I forgot to tally up the individual strings and only counted my final score: 276/300

Everything was going okay until the 20y string. I threw three rounds low and left, one of them so low it didn’t even touch the paper. I’m always impatient and accept slop in my trigger press and my sight alignment on long distance slow fire. It’s something I’m constantly fighting. There isn’t any excuse to rush a shot or settle for anything less than perfect when there’s no time limit. My SHO shooting is way better than my WHO shooting. I still haven’t found my ideal arm position/pistol cant/head position to get the sights lined up with my dominant eye. My WHO trigger press leaves much to be desired as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Shot this drill a couple of weekends ago at the HiTS class held in Culpeper, VA.

-Boresight Glock 19.3; from the low ready
    -(Didn't keep track of individual string scores, but everything was in the black until 20 yards...)
    -Total score 286 or 285 depending on whether the one cutting the line counts...
    -I will definitely be adding this one to my routine at the range as it works a lot of skills. I still need to work on shooting at longer distance, and I'm sure I would fall apart under time pressure. I had shot this a week earlier at 5, 10, and 15 and scored a 288 with all strings shot under 30 seconds.

Name:  vickers 300 class.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  28.2 KB

Gen 4 G19

WHO - 100

SHO - 95

Freestyle - 87

Total 282

Well damn. Target looked so pretty after the first two stages. I should have been able to get into the 90's at 25 yards. Maybe next time.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List