Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucas Ultrasonic Fluid

Lucas Ultrasonic Fluid

Does anyone have any experience with the Ultrasonic fluid sold by Lucas? They claim it is a one step solution and doesn't require a water removal and lubing step.

I've only found one other fluid, Italian Gun Grease, that made this claim and they're out of business now. A buddy of mine who got some before they closed swears by their stuff and I'm hoping Lucas is it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Ultrasonic fluid sold by Lucas? They claim it is a one step solution and doesn't require a water removal and lubing step.

I've only found one other fluid, Italian Gun Grease, that made this claim and they're out of business now. A buddy of mine who got some before they closed swears by their stuff and I'm hoping Lucas is it.
    I use it as a general purpose cleaning solvent, not in an ultrasonic. It does a good job cleaning without the completely dry after effect some aerosol cleaners or a 50/50 of Simple Green and water leave.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

So, I've run several guns through the ultrasonic using the Lucas. As a point of reference, I was using super concentrated Simple Green Pro previsously.

Overall, I'm happy with the fluid. From what I'm seeing the rust preventative additives are doing their job which was my biggest concern. It is very nice to be able to reassemble the gun immediately after pulling it from the ultrasonic and that makes it worthwhile.

Compared to the Simple Green Pro, the Lucas does not seem to clean baked on crud quite as well. There are certain points, near the chamber that seem to attract baked on crap. The Simple Green Pro seemed to remove and/or soften this stuff better than the Lucas. The Lucas is leaving some burned on stuff that still requires some rubbing/scraping to remove. The Lucas tolerates a much higher temperature than the Simple Green Pro but it still doesn't clean as well, even at a higher temperature.

The P320 does seem ideally suited for this. I can pull the striker and extractor system from the slice and remove the fire control unit from the grip module very quickly. I can ultrasonic them and reassemble very quickly. I am using compressed air to remove any fluid but even that doesn't take long.

I'll continue to run guns and see how it this stuff performs long term. Right now, it seems to be the only one step ultrasonic cleaner out there.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 10-17-2018 at 08:52 PM.

In case anyone is curious.....

I continue to run guns through the Lucas. As best I can tell its promises of rust inhibitors seem to be holding true. My earlier observation about not cleaning as well as concentrated Simple Green is also true. I had to take a dental pick to the inside of my firing control unit of my P320. The material was softened and came of easily but it still required some direct contact.

Last week, I dropped a slide in with a painted front sight, figuring that if the Lucas attacked the paint, I had the weekend to fix it. I was pleasant surprised to see that the paint was unaffected.

I'm at a point where I'd label the Lucas as a "strong recommend."

Timely thread, I was about to buy the cheaper Hornady stuff. Still comparing. Does a little bit of the Lucas go a long way?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Does a little bit of the Lucas go a long way?

Not sure I understand your question. I'm filling up an ultrasonic with a lid and it doesn't seem to evaporate like other stuff I've used. I also make sure I heat the fluid before I run anything through it. The flash temperature on the Lucas is nice and high.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Not sure I understand your question. I'm filling up an ultrasonic with a lid and it doesn't seem to evaporate like other stuff I've used. I also make sure I heat the fluid before I run anything through it. The flash temperature on the Lucas is nice and high.
    You answered my question, but I was wondering if it is meant to be diluted.
    #RESIST

I use it as a normal, non-ultrasonic, cleaner but the bottle says to use it straight (undiluted) in the tank.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Their automotive stuff is straight up marketing trash that usually degrades the fluids it's added to.

I don't buy any Lucas products on principle.

Which ultrasonic device is everyone using?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List