Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: FL Parking Lot Shooting

I think the defendant would have been a terrible witness in his own defense...but I'm not convinced that this defense attorney is on top of his game.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The case amounted to more than a parking spot dispute, he said. It centered on his client -- the "true victim"-- making "a split-second decision" after being violently thrust to the ground.
    Trouble is, it was not a split second, more like at least two from the time he was pushed till he popped the cap.

As I said earlier in the thread, manslaughter is a pretty low bar to prove, but the penalties are stiff. Manslaughter with a firearm is an F1 with a 30 year max and statutory minimum of 10 years.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

We are responsible for every round that leaves the barrel. The threat ended when the weapon was drawn. Bad shoot, full stop.

If parking lot guy hadn't hadn't been armed? The eventual victim had a history of violence both criminal history and he did shove parking lot guy to the ground. What would the outcome have been? Would it have made the news?

If the video cameras were down/pointed in the wrong direction/obscured by a beer truck/etc? What would the outcome have been? Would it have made the news?

I'm all for the SYG laws, which makes me more thankful for this verdict. Both this and the Zimmerman case indicate to me that the SYG laws embolden the wrong people-types. They carry and go looking for problems, then when they get literal push-back from people who aren't interested in taking their crap (right or wrong), they panic and start shooting. Zimmerman should have called the cops and gone home, and this clown should have minded his own business about who parked where.

Locking this guy up hopefully will send a message to others like-minded.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by mc1911 View Post
    You do realize this is Florida Man we're talking about, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    You do realize this is Florida Man we're talking about, right?
    Well played. I can dream, I guess.

I'm all for the SYG laws, which makes me more thankful for this verdict. Both this and the Zimmerman case indicate to me that the SYG laws embolden the wrong people-types. They carry and go looking for problems, then when they get literal push-back from people who aren't interested in taking their crap (right or wrong), they panic and start shooting. Zimmerman should have called the cops and gone home, and this clown should have minded his own business about who parked where.

Your understanding of the Zimmerman case is a little different than mine.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Several seconds is all it takes to change a case from SD to premeditate murder. In the American Rifleman a few years, they discussed a case where a guy went to a renters house with whom he had a dispute. In the altercation where he was attacked, he shot the renter. The renter seemed clearly disabled but the owner shot again after a few seconds for the fatal shot and was charged with premeditation.

Trying to recall the details. The shooter had training or was a competitor and this was used against him to imply premeditation and bad impulses to use the gun.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-24-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Zimmerman did call the cops and was walking back to his truck after losing Martin to go home when he was attacked. Mike McDaniel throughly broke this case down in his blog. 57 entries for your reading enjoyment.

https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpre...n-martin-case/
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List