Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone run an XS Big Dot front sight with a 10-8 rear?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Maybe try Ameriglo.
    I did. They don't.

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I did. They don't.
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod113320.aspx

A 10-8 rear with a .156" rear and matching (not certain of the dimensions) gold bead front are the a great match on my Ed Brown 5" 1911. Much easier to pick up and shoot accurately (for me) than the Ameriglo front sight.

I just recently purchased one of the new Ed Brown KC9-EVO-G4 9mm pistol and it came with a "U" notch rear and a Trijicon dot sight with the orange color surrounding the tritium insert very similar in appearance to the Ameriglo front sights. It just doesn't work for me, so I ordered one of the optional gold bead front sights directly from Ed Brown for this pistol and will be installing it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    My eyesight has gotten bad enough I can no longer focus on a standard size front sight. I have an XS Big Dot front to try. It definitely is big but I can focus on it.

I am looking for a U notch rear like the Ameriglo Agent rear but without any tritium or markings.

What do you guys recommend?
    From experience a wide .150 or wider rear notch of your preference. You're gonna have to experiment a bit.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Everyone does not like the same sights. I do not like the Big Dot sights, I prefer a small front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    With as many medical screens as I've been given in my life I think they would have caught that by now. Orange front sights have never worked as well for me as white ones. I've always preferred a plain black or Call sight on a S&W revolver as opposed to a red ramp even when I had 20/20 young eyes.
    I’ve read the eye cannot see red as well as you age. The difference for me with Trijicon HD orange/red and green/yellow is pretty significant. I wish the entire front was painted instead of the dot. 58 and started wearing trifocals last year.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Does anyone run an XS Big Dot front sight with a 10-8 rear?

Every year that goes by I feel like I'm getting blinder. The orange on the AmeriGlo's seems to wash out in my vision for some reason.

I run my 1911s that way. The standard size front works well with either .140 or .155 rear.

Site Supporter
    I ended up getting contacts one of four distance the other for close up. I can get a clear sight picture. But it took some retraining to use my left eye to focus on the front sight. (sorry for the thread drift)

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I’ve read the eye cannot see red as well as you age. The difference for me with Trijicon HD orange/red and green/yellow is pretty significant. I wish the entire front was painted instead of the dot. 58 and started wearing trifocals last year.
    I'm just a bit shy of 65, and I have increasing trouble with reds if the light isn't good or if whatever is red is quite small. I hadn't heard about that being age-related, but if it is, then I have yet another complaint to lodge against getting old. I have had the opportunity to shoot two SP101's side-by-side, one with a red FO insert and one with the green FO insert, and for me, the green does stand out better.

I have tried running XS big dots on various handguns, but keep returning to the standard size. What has been helping me more than anything is opening up the rear notch just enough to give me a useful amount of space on either side of whatever front I am running. The comparatively narrow rear notches on most adjustable-sighted 1911's would have been great for me when I was 30, but they are frustrating for me now.

gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I'm just a bit shy of 65, and I have increasing trouble with reds if the light isn't good or if whatever is red is quite small. I hadn't heard about that being age-related, but if it is, then I have yet another complaint to lodge against getting old. I have had the opportunity to shoot two SP101's side-by-side, one with a red FO insert and one with the green FO insert, and for me, the green does stand out better.

I have tried running XS big dots on various handguns, but keep returning to the standard size. What has been helping me more than anything is opening up the rear notch just enough to give me a useful amount of space on either side of whatever front I am running. The comparatively narrow rear notches on most adjustable-sighted 1911's would have been great for me when I was 30, but they are frustrating for me now.

gn
    I'm assuming you are talking about bullseye sights? CMore has some good options for that as long as you don't get dot bloom . Another thing that helps me with steel sights is the white outline around the rear sight notch.
    My last RX had me into trifocals. what I have right now is the trifocal focused for the front sight distance and I had them move it way up almost to the center of the lens just below my pupil. Just a very slight tilt has my front sight in focus. Actually sometimes when driving I have to tilt my head down slightly to stay in the distance lens. The problem with this setup is they are progressives. I think I'm going to try it with lined non progressives and the trifocal only on my dominant side lens.
    Last edited by UNK; 02-23-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List