Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racking the Slide

Site Supporter
    I agree with what several others have posted. I don't have a problem with FCS but I would either rack the slide from underneath or more likely rotate to the left and grasp between thumb and forefinger as in the video posted by spinmove_. The method you are suggesting rates right up there on the old "yikes" meter for me.

Got the new pic. I see the 90 degree. Got it.

I like having one way to rack the slide for admin, tap/rack/assess/reloading/etc. It's not just a safety issue. When clearing a stove pipe, etc it could help clear it(the old sweep idea) but it also could jam the round or casing in there farther. I personally would never do it that way because there is so much possible down side and very little upside. The little up side there is to doing it that way isn't really all that much of a down side to use the rear serrations.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I wouldn’t overhand rack the slide forward of the ejection port. Those serrations are there for making press checks easier as well as giving you the ability to rack the slide in a press check motion. Typically that is done by rotating the pistol 90 degrees to the side, grasping the forward serrations between your index finger and thumb, and racking the slide back. It is now faster to re-establish your two-handed grip.

EDIT: This is what I’m referring to when I describe manipulating the slide with the forward serrations.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Yes, that right there. Proctor showed that to my son and I with plain slide Glocks. I never got the hang of it but my son did. Very efficient and safe enough IMO.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Yes, that right there. Proctor showed that to my son and I with plain slide Glocks. I never got the hang of it but my son did. Very efficient and safe enough IMO.
    He showed us the same method in the class I took. The logic is sound and it's very safe for using the FCS. It can be done even without FCS. However, it should be understood that he only uses this method when loading a round when the slide is in battery.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    He showed us the same method in the class I took. The logic is sound and it's very safe for using the FCS. It can be done even without FCS. However, it should be understood that he only uses this method when loading a round when the slide is in battery.
    Okay, I'm a little confused now...why do it that way if it is only for loading vs immediate action?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I would not do that. Ever. Looks like a good way to lose part of your pinkie finger.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Okay, I'm a little confused now...why do it that way if it is only for loading vs immediate action?
    I would assume because its faster and you can get back on target immediately. Really is a situation specific method.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I would assume because its faster and you can get back on target immediately. Really is a situation specific method.
    That's my question, why would you need to be in a hurry to load the pistol, as in loading prior to going in the holster or preparing to shoot. I'm sure I'm missing something here.

I use forward cocking serrations for chamber verifications. I like them a lot to assist in that application.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    That's my question, why would you need to be in a hurry to load the pistol, as in loading prior to going in the holster or preparing to shoot. I'm sure I'm missing something here.
    The video showed a dud round that didn't ignite. I would imagine using this when you are pulling the trigger on a bad guy and it doesn't go boom. It's a pretty fast method to rack the round out and get the gun going again. You wouldn't use it to actually load the gun from empty.

User Tag List