Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racking the Slide

Racking the Slide

For the nearly 40 years I've been shooting pistols, I've always grabbed the slide to the rear of the ejection port to rack it: I roll the grip outward (leaving the ejection port facing up) and grab the rear of slide with my support thumb on top facing forward. I have no problem getting a good grip on the slide this way and leaves my view of the ejection port unobstructed.

A 5-inch PPQ has become my primary pistol and since it has plenty of space (and serrations) to grab it in front of the ejection port, I've started racking it from the front. I very much like the full view of the chamber area, the totally unobstructed ejection port and the fact that the port faces down by rolling the grip inward. I have also found that it is considerably easier for me to manipulate the slide this way. Note - I can rack the slide from underneath, but due to my short fingers I get a better and more consistent grip from over the top.

I use a motion that brings the hand directly down over the top of the slide to prevent any flagging, but once I have a grip on the slide I do notice that my palm can end up just a touch past the front of the slide/muzzle, but still well above it. Of course my trigger finger is in register while doing so, but I have some concern about being called out by a RO on my hand position being so close to the muzzle.

This photo shows my hand position reasonably well though somewhat worse than it actually ends up;

Name:  35CEDBFE-41AC-49E2-A457-D9D5C5784B5F.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  76.1 KB

Considering the benefits I've found racking the slide this way, should I have any safety concerns? Any advice on this is appreciated!

IMO that's too much exposure in front of the muzzle. A few degrees off in a rush or under pressure and you're flagged right? Can you keep the pistol out in front of you (modern Iso) and roll the support hand over the slide to rack it from the forward serrations?
    Tilting it one way or the other you'd have to play with. I'm not that familiar with that pistol's ejection port.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Racking the Slide

I wouldn’t overhand rack the slide forward of the ejection port. Those serrations are there for making press checks easier as well as giving you the ability to rack the slide in a press check motion. Typically that is done by rotating the pistol 90 degrees to the side, grasping the forward serrations between your index finger and thumb, and racking the slide back. It is now faster to re-establish your two-handed grip.

EDIT: This is what I’m referring to when I describe manipulating the slide with the forward serrations.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 07-24-2018 at 08:14 AM.

I've never been a fan of front cocking serrations. The photo above illustrates why. It's just too close for comfort. I prefer to operate south of the ejection port and have never seen a reason or need to go north.

The closer you get to the muzzle the more the chance you could put a body part in front of it. Using the rear serration area presents less chance.

Is it possible as you get older, wiser or life changes to make you want to change pistols? If so would a smaller/different pistol have the serrations there? How would that change the safety aspect? How would it change the safety if you just use the rear serrations now and in the future?

From your picture, get tired and bend the wrist while making that movement and your forearm/elbow has a decent chance of being in front of the muzzle.

I personally don't use the front of the slide because there is another way that is just as effective and is in my opinion less dangerous.

ETA: from the pic is seems your forearm is parallel to the slide? Hard to tell. Obviously the slide can be manipulated with the arm at a 90 degree to the slide to keep body parts away from the muzzle.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 07-24-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    ETA: from the pic is seems your forearm is parallel to the slide? Hard to tell. Obviously the slide can be manipulated with the arm at a 90 degree to the slide to keep body parts away from the muzzle.
    It is, but only for taking the photo. In actual use my hand and arm are at a 90 to the slide - I'll try to get a more accurate photo.

Out of the different methods I've tried of gripping the slide, this one is the most secure - something for me to consider if my hands are wet (or bloody).

Edit - here is a better photo. The motion is reaching over the top with the support hand to get a grip like this. I can roll the grip inward about 60 degrees from the vertical to get the port facing downward while still maintaining a firm grip and good view of the ejection port and chamber area;

Name:  ppq-1.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  76.0 KB
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-24-2018 at 08:45 AM.

IF the weapon discharged with your hand there, what do you think could happen?

Little to no room for error and too much chance of bad things happening IMO.

The only way you should be cycling the slide forward of the ejection port is by pinching the slide with the web of your hand between your thumb and index finger. Even then, slides become hot, and this isn't always a viable solution.

I have to ask... why did you change how you've been doing something for years?

Skip to 3:50.
    Last edited by DAVE_M; 07-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.

You are crusin for a brusin handling a pistol in that manner.

I just tried doing your method based upon your statements. I don't see how you aren't at serious risk of getting a piece of your hand in front of that muzzle. Doing the same method but on the rear of the slide gives you the same benefits with none of the risk.

If your hands are wet and bloody and you are needing to rack the slide to the point where you would worry about it that means that shit went sideways and you are probably using gross motor skills. Gross motor skills and potentially flagging yourself don't go hand in hand in my mind.

User Tag List