Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Female Officer at LGS

Stag rifles aren't horrible. If it works, it works.

The training she gets with it will be more important.
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-24-2018 at 01:03 PM.

I guess there is good and bad in everything. But, I've had a Stag Arms for years that has close to 10K rounds through it without a hiccup. This includes 2 two day training classes with 1200 rounds each.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Not to be an ass, but why didn't you pull her to the side and offer her some advice? Seems like a great opportunity to help educate someone who needed it more than most.
    For every one person who is appreciative of this, twenty will tell you to screw off.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I'll happily give advice to anyone who asks for it but I won't butt in to sales conversations between customers and sales folks at the store. I believe it's not my place to do so. I don't work at the store and I don't think it's right for me to cost them business or damage their relationship with a customer.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'll happily give advice to anyone who asks for it but I won't butt in to sales conversations between customers and sales folks at the store. I believe it's not my place to do so. I don't work at the store and I don't think it's right for me to cost them business or damage their relationship with a customer.
    This.

I've never butted into a LGS conversation that I wasn't asked to be a part of. People have emotional investments in certain objects and methods. The last time I was in a LGS and was asked a question in regards to the conversation, it ended with another customer becoming angry and leaving. My friend, the manager of the LGS, wasn't happy, but understood that they asked ME and not him.

Although it’s likely a total stranger will rebuff my comments, in the right situation I’d offer my thoughts about gun selection. The worst they can do is tell you to piss off but it’s worth a try. Especially, if you hear the salesman misleading someone that doesn’t know better. If they choose not to take your advice, that’s on them.

When my 16 yr old daughter leaves the house with friends, i pelt her with a list of safety tips. She’ll roll her eyes and repeats “I know, Dad” but it doesn’t mean I’ll stop. If not me, then who? Gun advice left to the masses equals record Hi Point sales.
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.

I'm just happy she wanted a rifle and was committed enough to spend her own coin. Hopefully she trains with it, and it provides good service.

At my local gun stores there's some horrendous advice given to customers on occasion. But I bite my tongue unless someone specifically asks me a question.
    Last edited by Mark D; 07-24-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The clerk and I were talking when she walked up and started the conversation. I could not intervene without intruding. My doing so would have offended the clerk and the owner. The girl did not know me. Otherwise, I would have. Not directly related to your question is this: as I have aged and become an old guy with white hair and unsteady gait, l've noticed that young people like this young lady are less likely to heed any advice that I might give. So in many cases, I hesitate to say much. The owner asks my advice about fudd guns and reloading and gunsmithing. The young guys working there frequently make incorrect statements about AR's. I don't correct them.
    Much wisdom here.

Its enough for now that she's started her journey.

Site Supporter
    These cases are not always as black and white as they may seem.

I believe it would not have been an offense to agree that a Stag Arms is a good recommendation, but as a sworn officer, she should check with her armorer for a list of approved duty rifles before making a final decision - and that said local store would be happy to source anything she'd care to order that's on her dept's approved-for-duty list.
    That could easily lead to a recommendation on a duty carbine class beyond what her dept offers, dept approved optic (if any) etc.

Stag arms or not, I'm glad there's one more officer out there that has a rifle available if she absolutely needs a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Second, the average police man walking into the same gunstore still likely wouldn’t know much about guns but he would never admit it, so again good on her.
    It takes a lot for most folks to set aside ego and utter the words "I don't know what I don't know, can you help me?" I applaud her for doing so, and will echo the sentiment that while Stag might not be the first choice, she could do a lot worse.

Setting aside ego and making the investment are at least movement in the right direction. Just my two cents.

User Tag List