Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Female Officer at LGS

Site Supporter

Young Female Officer at LGS

Today while at the lgs a young female police officer came in and said that she wished to buy a rifle. The clerk showed her his rack of AR's and asked what her preference was. She replied, "I don't know. I don't know anything about guns." He recommended a Stag Arms as a hard service weapon. My heart sank, and I left. What bothers me most is that her sgt or the armorer or her training officer or somebody in the dept had not foreseen that some young officers are not gun savvy and that they need guidance. Instead she came in with her mother. I fear that she may fail to seek qualified training assistance. This young woman was offered a shit rifle for $850 plus tax. She could have bought a Colt for the same or less money through law enforcement channels. I feel bad for her.

Not to be an ass, but why didn't you pull her to the side and offer her some advice? Seems like a great opportunity to help educate someone who needed it more than most.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Today while at the lgs a young female police officer came in and said that she wished to buy a rifle. The clerk showed her his rack of AR's and asked what her preference was. She replied, "I don't know. I don't know anything about guns." He recommended a Stag Arms as a hard service weapon. My heart sank, and I left. What bothers me most is that her sgt or the armorer or her training officer or somebody in the dept had not foreseen that some young officers are not gun savvy and that they need guidance. Instead she came in with her mother. I fear that she may fail to seek qualified training assistance. This young woman was offered a shit rifle for $850 plus tax. She could have bought a Colt for the same or less money through law enforcement channels. I feel bad for her.
    First good on her for wantimg to spend her own time and money get a rifle. Most cops are not gun people and you would be surprise how many would rather dump $850 into something else.

Second, the average police man walking into the same gunstore still likely wouldn’t know much about guns but he would never admit it, so again good on her.

IME About 15% are shooters and knowledgeable about guns.

About 70% are competent with their issued or authorized equipment to the level they are trained to or slightly better but don’t have much depth of knowledge outside that lane,

About 15% are clueless and/ or struggling shooters.

This is one of problems with carry what ever you want policies. I’m all for personal rifle programs but some right and left limits need to be set.

Colt would be my choice too but there are worse AR choices than a Stag Arms.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-24-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    First good on her for wantimg to spend her own time and money get a rifle. Most cops are not gun people and you would be surprise how many would rather dump $850 into something else.

IME About 15% are shooters and knowledgeable about guns.

About 70% are competent with their issued or authorized equipment to the level they are trained to or slightly better but don’t have much depth of knowledge outside that lane,

About 15% are clueless and/ or struggling shooters.

This is one of problems with carry what ever you want policies. I’m all for personal rifle programs but some right and left limits need to be set.
    Bud,

I WISH I could agree with that 15% assessment regarding the percentage that are shooters. Its kind of sad, although I will admit that the job requires a hell of a lot more than just gun handling skills. Having said that, this is what I always tell people: The gun, one of your tools can determine whether or not you ultimately go home should your name get called on that unlucky day...I really do wish it was 15%. :/

Screw it, lets be optimistic together then.
    Last edited by Magsz; 07-24-2018 at 12:17 AM.

At least she bought a rifle. Many people never come to understand why one matters until it’s too late.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Not to be an ass, but why didn't you pull her to the side and offer her some advice? Seems like a great opportunity to help educate someone who needed it more than most.
    The clerk and I were talking when she walked up and started the conversation. I could not intervene without intruding. My doing so would have offended the clerk and the owner. The girl did not know me. Otherwise, I would have. Not directly related to your question is this: as I have aged and become an old guy with white hair and unsteady gait, l've noticed that young people like this young lady are less likely to heed any advice that I might give. So in many cases, I hesitate to say much. The owner asks my advice about fudd guns and reloading and gunsmithing. The young guys working there frequently make incorrect statements about AR's. I don't correct them.

Site Supporter
    If she gets out and trains with it, any deficiencies are likely to show up pretty quickly.

If she doesn't shoot it, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

The cool thing about an AR is, it's pretty easy to correct stuff that isn't right. I'm sorry she paid more than she should have, but that's not the end of the world. Good on her for getting herself a long gun!
    Last edited by Dave J; 07-24-2018 at 01:34 AM.

I worked as a c/o with the NC DOC for 14 years. Although they have upgraded their weapons, during my employment the standard firearms were a Remington 870, Ruger Mini-14, and S&W model 64. You can Google barrels flying off the frame of NC DOC revolvers...true story!

During my time there, many new hires had no experience with firearms whatsoever. This applied to men and women. We had to re-qualify yearly with the above mentioned weapons. Fifty years ago some new hires either had military or law enforcement experience or hunted. Today, lots of new hires have none of that experience. So shooting anything is a something new. I remember the first time I shot a revolver and that left much to be desired. But years of practice paid off.

While with DOC, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to become a certified firearms instructor and participate in yearly re-qualification with the officers. No doubt some shot a firearm once a year, at re-qualification. Others took pride in shooting proficiently.

One war story. After a day at the range, we were returning the firearms to the aresenal. The mini-14s were to have the bolt locked back and no magazine. I saw a bolt forward with no magazine. Pulled the bolt back and a live round ejected.

Whoa, there.

I'd like to think that my agency is as up to speed on such things at it gets, and we still have individuals who go out on their own and make stupid purchasing decisions such as:

- Funky pistol light for which NOBODY makes a duty holster.
    - Some Turkish made crap shotgun even AFTER said purchaser was in MY shotgun class and was told what I would approve
    - Sightmark optic
    - assortment of crazy accessories
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Whoa, there.

I'd like to think that my agency is as up to speed on such things at it gets, and we still have individuals who go out on their own and make stupid purchasing decisions such as:

- Funky pistol light for which NOBODY makes a duty holster.
    - Some Turkish made crap shotgun even AFTER said purchaser was in MY shotgun class and was told what I would approve
    - Sightmark optic
    - assortment of crazy accessories
    This x10,000,000

Not all LE are gun guys (or gals).

I know Veteran LE and SWAT guys that carry micro guns off duty and think the M&P 15 is duty quality. Unless you ARE the armorer for the agency, I don't expect anyone to know that a Noveske is superior to an Anderson.

User Tag List