Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Young Female Officer at LGS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That would be Bushmaster's TDP. Not Colt's.
    When TX DPS wrote their requirements they just copied the TDP requirements. So it’s as close to TDP as Bushmaster is gonna get.

The TX DPS Carbine requirement is on line if you care to search for it.

If you were to plug the DPS Guns into Rob S.’s chart the DPS gun will check a whole bunch of boxes the commercial Bushmasters don’t. For example the castle nuts are staked not Loctited on, actual 5.56 chambers etc.

I know most of the guys behind the counter at the local gun stores. They're nice fellas, and a select few of them even know some good info.

That said, I will only interject into their sales conversation when they're giving good advice ("get a Glock 9mm") and the customer is resistant ("but my buddy said his XD 40 is better"). At those times I might provide some subtle support for the clerk.

Otherwise, I let them do their thing.

Site Supporter
    Even worse are Departments buying junk. A local department bought Sig 1911s . It made me throw up in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    When TX DPS wrote their requirements they just copied the TDP requirements. So it’s as close to TDP as Bushmaster is gonna get.
    Short version- Texas DPS cannot legally distribute Colt's TDP without permission from Colt.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Short version- Texas DPS cannot legally distribute Colt's TDP without permission from Colt.
    Whatever.

Site Supporter
    I feel very fortunate.

I started in 1981. At that time there were three of us on the PD who were "into" guns. One started the local IPSC club and was Section Coordinator for a while. He had run a gunshop and was a gunsmith before being a cop.

But that was about it. Very few other cops I knew had interest or ever shot in practice.

Fast forward nearly 40 years (!!!) and I now work with almost a dozen (between two different agencies) who are interested and moderately knowledgeable and who even shoot in practice on a semi-regular basis . . .

(Just because somebody went to a instructor class or an armorer class doesn't necessarily mean they know anything. It just means that they had the opportunity to begin the learning process --- it doesn't mean that they actually progressed in the pursuit of knowledge)

Willie,

I get what you are saying. I don't think there is anyone here who has not been in the gun store and heard ridiculousness from behind the counter or from another patron in the store. $800+ for a rifle these days will get you in the ballpark of a Colt or other quality manufacturer.

There isn't anything wrong with Stag. I have yet to see one crap out or have any issues in classes (1000-2000 rounds over 2-4 days) Yet it would not be my first choice when given the alternatives in the price point you mentioned that are available right now. I just picked up a used but never fired 6920 for $740 a few weeks back. (I checked all the internals before buying.)

From my observations shooting and as a teacher, if I had five good shooters, each using a different brand quality rifle to include Stag, all firing quality ammo at 100 yards from field positions, one would hardly notice the difference in performance. I do not know anyone who can shoot past the capability of their rifle, and I shoot with some of the best, many of whom are nationally ranked.

If a person can hold 2 MOA with iron sights or a combat optic from field positions consistently, then he/she needs to go to Perry and win some matches.

That lady can gain a lot of knowledge and proficiency with that rifle. And she can most certainly use it to defend herself and her fellow officers after some training.

End result, another citizen with an AR-15, provided she gets training and good is a net positive to our society and way of life.
    Last edited by Reid Henrichs; 08-02-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

User Tag List