Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of curiosity - training question

Out of curiosity - training question

What are one or two areas of law enforcement that you see a training void in? In other words, if you had access to the training budget and competent, experienced course creators, what training that doesn't exist today would you want to see developed and pushed out to the profession?

We could go on and on about all the usual suspects: firearms, report writing, driving, defense tactics, etc. However, the real deficiencies I see in new officers involve a lack of critical thinking and interpersonal communication skills. In other words, being able to think on your feet, analyze your way through a situation and being able to effectively communicate ln a face to face environment with other human beings. Everyone coming into LE work should have already learned these life skills as a part of growing up. If they haven't done so by the time they put on a badge, I don't know how to give a crash course in these subjects. My time as an instructor was long ago and I saw it beginning back then, it's even worse now.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'm not sure if you are looking for individual departments or LE as whole, but I'll answer for my PD.

We need realistic force-on-force training that covers the whole level spectrum of UOF. In my perfect world, each scenario would have the officer(s) in full sim protective gear with a sim version of each weapon - not just equipment based on what the scenario will need. The actors would follow the lesson plan/script and not make it up as they go. Some scenarios will end in a shooting, some will end in a fight, and some will end with compliance if the officers act reasonably. Building searches, traffic stops (all kinds), disorderly person calls, domestics, alarms, every type of call we respond to will be scenarios.

My agency does an excellent job of this, but I would say medical training.

There's no reason I should be running into cops that don't actually know/have practice on how to apply a tourniquet, chest seal, or pack a wound. From what I've seen, if they even get it (many still don't), then the training is rudimentary to the level of being a "paper tiger"....as in, they get a TQ passed out at rollcall, a 5 minute speech, and then go on shift. Command staff pats themselves on the back, declares it a win, and the officers are still under-prepared.

To that end, I don't necessarily like being one to complain without putting my money where my mouth is. One of the things I was doing on my own time at my last assignment was teaching free B-Con/Intro-to-MARCH classes about 4 hours in length with an emphasis on hands-on skills developments well in excess of any commercial, non-3 letter training I've personally attended or witnessed. I don't have a lot of time at my current assignment to keep it up like I was before (6-7 day workweeks now), but if there's a bunch of LEOs in NoVA that are reading this and need the training then I will gladly take leave for a day and get you some training and certificates to put on file.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-23-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    We could go on and on about all the usual suspects: firearms, report writing, driving, defense tactics, etc. However, the real deficiencies I see in new officers involve a lack of critical thinking and interpersonal communication skills. In other words, being able to think on your feet, analyze your way through a situation and being able to effectively communicate ln a face to face environment with other human beings. Everyone coming into LE work should have already learned these life skills as a part of growing up. If they haven't done so by the time they put on a badge, I don't know how to give a crash course in these subjects. My time as an instructor was long ago and I saw it beginning back then, it's even worse now.
    Critical thinking is so important. The people often served by law enforcement lack critical thinking/problem solving skills. Things go bad when nobody in the room has the skill.

Medical (tourniquets and such), CQB, clearing houses/buildings, and advanced weapon skills. The last two would be using SIMS.

Simunition loves their conversion kits...got a quote today for $501/pistol. Getting a quote tomorrow from Glock for their FOF G17.

I was in Shoot House Instructor class all weekend and saw the immediate need for more training for my Department...we will see how it goes. IMHO, SIMS is where it’s at for stress inoculation.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Medical (tourniquets and such), CQB, clearing houses/buildings, and advanced weapon skills. The last two would be using SIMS.

Simunition loves their conversion kits...got a quote today for $501/pistol. Getting a quote tomorrow from Glock for their FOF G17.

I was in Shoot House Instructor class all weekend and saw the immediate need for more training for my Department...we will see how it goes. IMHO, SIMS is where it’s at for stress inoculation.
    FWIW, our G19M T's are great. They function superbly well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Adding onto the other themes the previous gents gave, I’d like to see more, “mock scenes,” with good FOF actors used. Not even necessarily scenarios that end/incorporate a UOF, but ones that require multiple suspect management, and quick verbal wit.

The younger generation spends too much time involved in digital interaction and not enough participating in actual social intercourse.

Mock scenes, if executed well, can have as much impact as a real-world scenario, without the high stakes. If everyone takes their role seriously, it can be a powerful laboratory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, the last couple hires we've had that were younger (22-24 year olds) simply could not speak effectively to people. I think accurate scenario training could remedy some of that.
    Using Tapatalk

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    While I agree with the need for improvement noted in the above areas referenced by our LE compatriots, I think Angus was asking about skills training NOT currently part of regular LE curriculum. If so, that's a big question. Ten years ago I would have said TCCC training focused on LE First Responders...but that training is available many places now. Correct me if I'm wrong, Angus...but you seem to be asking what NEW skills we in LE need to develop?

User Tag List