Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Pilots and those in the know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The difference between a Boeing 737 and an Airbus A320 has nothing to do with yokes or sticks. It has to do with who or what has ultimate control of the aircraft.

On 737, the flight crew has the ultimate control of the aircraft and the computer assists the flight crew control inputs. That means the flight crew can override the flight computer and is ultimately responsible for control of the aircraft.

On the A320, the flight control computer has ultimate control of the aircraft. The computer is designed to interpret flight crew inputs, then tells the aircraft what to do. The flight computer can override flight crew input and is ultimately responsible for control of the aircraft.
    I always say an extra prayer when I'm boarding an Airbus.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Long over water flights have mandatory reporting points where you'd report your position, altitude, and airspeed which allows the controllers to help ensure separation when you're out of radar contact. HF radio typically allowed contact with most places I've been flying (OK, riding - I was a Navigator), though it's been a few years and the satellites may make everything pretty easy these days, and GPS certainly has helped with safety for both navigation and separation.

As GJM said the sky is pretty big until it isn't. I happened to be working at the USAF Operation Center when we got the report of a USAF C-141 mid-air collision with a German TU-154 off the coast of Africa ( http://www.c141heaven.info/dotcom/65/pic_65_9405.php ). I've got to believe there are very few places in the world with less traffic than there, but somehow these two aircraft were able to meet.

In the B-52 our speed was called S-1, which I'll assume is the same as V-1. If you're going to abort you need to do it before S-1, if you want to stay on the runway. However, sometimes you lose enough that you have to abort because you don't have enough to get airborne. This B-52 on Guam took some bird strikes, lost some engines, required popping the drag chute, and the aircraft was destroyed, but the whole crew got out. https://www.guampdn.com/story/news/2...nes/100872726/

Better picture https://taskandpurpose.com/birds-b-5...er-crash-guam/
    Last edited by JTQ; 07-22-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I always say an extra prayer when I'm boarding an Airbus.
    Something I have heard before: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going."

The difference between a Boeing 737 and an Airbus A320 has nothing to do with yokes or sticks. It has to do with who or what has ultimate control of the aircraft.

On 737, the flight crew has the ultimate control of the aircraft and the computer assists the flight crew control inputs. That means the flight crew can override the flight computer and is ultimately responsible for control of the aircraft.

On the A320, the flight control computer has ultimate control of the aircraft. The computer is designed to interpret flight crew inputs, then tells the aircraft what to do. The flight computer can override flight crew input and is ultimately responsible for control of the aircraft.
    What's the most often uttered phrase in the cockpit of a a320 ? ....why the f*** did it do that. LOL

You might find POA (Pilots of America) an interesting site.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Turbulence varies from uncomfortable and annoying, to so bad
    it can bounce your pistol out of the holster.

You think there are a lot of planes now? Wait till the FAA approves routine access to the NAS for UAS. DAA and BVOS C&C are a big deal in the UAS circles... aceonyms make me sound smart [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Airplanes, flight, and the related operations have always fascinated me. Recently I downloaded a flight tracker app and have been enjoying it like crazy. All this has made me curious about a few things.

How in the world are there not more Mid Air collisions? The amount of planes in the appears to be insane!

How do planes and pilots compensate for turbulence? Especially heavy turbulence.

At V1, is it absolute that you continue to the take off or is it possible to abort after passing V1?

I know @GJM is a pilot, but I hope we have even more on the forum who are in the know.
    - Good ATC system.

- The autopilot systems can handle fairly significant turbulence. Commercial aircraft are inherently stable and even heavy turbulence is pretty manageable as long as you have enough airspeed and altitude to solve problem. Heavy turbulence on takeoff and landing, and wind shear in particular, can be challenging because you don't have much altitude or airspeed.

- Nothing is absolute, but it is standard practice for a very good reason. If the runway is way longer than necessary, you might consider aborting above V1 if the emergency is bad enough but there is almost always more risk to aborting a takeoff above V1 than continuing the takeoff.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Something I have heard before: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going."
    Glock "Perfection"
    Last edited by David S.; 07-23-2018 at 08:52 AM.
    David S.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    @TheNewbie: The genre of PC flight sims has pretty well disappeared over the last decade, but you can find older copies of various versions online for about $25. Many of them have dedicated communities who continue to produce mods and such. I just looked at Steam, and apparently this Cessna 152 trainer was released just today. It'd be a cheap way of seeing if you're interested enough to plop down money on some lessons.

I use this A-400 wreck as an example of how not to test software in my intro class. WeaponsMan had a pretty good write up about it.

"Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List