Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nra: Spam & crap!

N R A : Spam & crap!

OK, so I join the NRA to get a discount on my local gun-club membership,...
    Was this a HUGE mistake or what?
    I have had just about enough of the B/S NRA SPAM in both email and snail mail!!!
    HOW do I make it STOP? Should I QUIT the NRA?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    And,... MOST of the SPAM is trying to sell me junk that has very little or nothing to do with protecting "gun" rights, or them selling my info to other companies who are trying to sell me still more useless JUNK!
    (Sorry for ranting!)
    A good example has twice the value of good advice,...

So now you are spamming us?

Joining the NRA to get a discount? You should have joined the NRA for the underlying basis for the organization, not for a discount.

While I agree that the NRA sends out to much spam and junk mail, you do have options. There is always the trash can, shredder and junk mail filter on your preferred email program.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrill View Post
    OK, so I join the NRA to get a discount on my local gun-club membership,...
    I'm fairly certain that's not supposed to be the primary purpose of the NRA.

HOW do I make it STOP? Should I QUIT the NRA?
    Call and ask to be taken off their mailing lists. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm fairly certain that's not supposed to be the primary purpose of the NRA.

Call and ask to be taken off their mailing lists. Problem solved.
    …for about a year or two and then the junk mail starts up again. I think when you renew your membership they take that as a sign you want more junk mail.

With all that being said, I still completely endorse joining the NRA despite their affinity for junk mail. The reason for joining the NRA is that they are the 500 pound gorilla in the room when it comes to fighting for your right to keep and bear arms. Small Grass Root pro-gun organizations are great but the Local and state anti gun politicians cringe when the NRA show up to fight some proposed anti-gun laws.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

It is required for one range I joined.

And yes, the spam drops off significantly when you tell them you don't want your mailbox filled with crap. I even get PDF delivery of American Rifleman in stead of mailbox cluttering.

If only midway and cabelas would get the hint......

Site Supporter
    I have multiple email address.

1. Friends & family.
    2. Message Boards & Bulk Mailing Lists
    3. Online Orders
    4. Places where SPAM seems highly likely

OP,
    Don't quit the NRA over such trivialities. For better or worse, they are our proverbial front line defence against the endless assault on our freedoms. No organization is perfect, and surely the NRA does have some faults, but think where we would be today without them?

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    OP,
    Don't quit the NRA over such trivialities. For better or worse, they are our proverbial front line defense against the endless assault on our freedoms. No organization is perfect, and surely the NRA does have some faults, but think where we would be today without them?
    Ditto. Plus if you join as a life member (like me) they mainly just send crap about upping to a higher level (I forget what they call it). But in addition think about a few things some having already been mentioned here.

1. They are the largest, best organized and effective Pro Gun lobby out there.
    2. They really do protect our rights and have won some major victories lately
    3. They probably sell their member list which helps generate revenues for these very expensive battles.

If it really bothers you and you want the protections of your rights I suggest calling them and offering them some money in exchange for you being dropped from the emails and snail mail lists going out. WIN WIN for both parties.

I tend to side with Thrill on this. While I joined the NRA almost 20 years ago because I believed that they are the big stick of gun rights, their marketing department has gotten a little crazy as of late.

My issue is that I expect them to send me information about pressing matters in the gun community. When I get an email with a subject line of "2011 NRA analysis reveals incomplete benefits" and then open it to find that they want me to sign up for cancer care?? Really?

Do I now put the NRA on my spam list so that if I get a legitimate alert email it gets tossed in the trash? They need to stick to the job at hand which I paid my dues for.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List