Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 S&W or .38 Short Colt

.38 S&W or .38 Short Colt

So, a friend of mine finally wanted to go shooting. He brought along his guns today. One was a PT92 and the other a vintage S&W revolver. With the revolver, we’re not sure exactly what he has nor exactly sure what it’s chambered. It’s definitely NOT .38 Special. Here’s a pic of the barrel of his revolver.

He had some rather old cartridges that were marked .38 Colt and they were flat point lead bullets.

So what the heck is this thing chambered in? What’s the difference between .38 S&W and .38 Short Colt? Are they somewhat interchangeable?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, .38 Smith and Wesson, and .38 Colt New Police are the same cartridge.

.38 Short Colt is for use in .38 cartridge conversion revolvers.

The ".38 S&W CTG" on your friends revolver denotes .38 Smith And Wesson. Ammo is available via mail order.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Oh, and the question that inevitably comes to mind is "Can I get this converted to .38 Special?"

My understanding is that it has been done in the past, but is a bad idea, but I don't recall why.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 07-22-2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Oh, and the question that inevitably comes to mind is "Can I get his converted to .38 Special?"

My understanding is that it has been done in the past, but is a bad idea, but I don't recall why.
    The 38 S&W projectile is actually closer to 38 caliber than the 38 Special. The 38 Special projo is a nominal .357 and the 38S&W is a nominal .361....yes...there are small variations, but the Special will not engage the riflng in a 38S&W barrel as it should and accuracy will suffer if you don't have a 38 Special barrel installed. The conversion also requires a whole new cylinder because the case of the 38S&W is shorter, but thicker. So by the time you have jumped through all those hoops to convert it, you have spent more than you would for a 38 Special.

Buy dies for 38 S&W, order a few hundred pieces of brass from Starline and have some fun loading some plinker rounds. It will cost a LOT less.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Not really plinking ammo but good stuff for serious use.

125 grain fp hard cast at 1000fps
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=143

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, .38 Smith and Wesson, and .38 Colt New Police are the same cartridge.

.38 Short Colt is for use in .38 cartridge conversion revolvers.

The ".38 S&W CTG" on your friends revolver denotes .38 Smith And Wesson. Ammo is available via mail order.
    Thank you very much. What does the CTG stand for? That’s the part that threw me off.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    CarTridGe
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    CarTridGe
    Lol, that looks like how some kid would make up their handle in Call of Duty.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What’s the difference between .38 S&W and .38 Short Colt? Are they somewhat interchangeable?
    Bullet profile, flat nose vs round nose. Yes.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

One less expensive alternative to buying the .361 sized bullets is to use the 148gr hollow base wadcutter bullets intended for .38 specials. They will "pop" and fill the rifling even though they are sized .357 or .358.

User Tag List