Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Fitness GPS

RFI: Fitness GPS

I am looking for a new fitness GPS, since my Garmin Forerunner 305 died. I'd simply replace it with another FR305, but that model has been discontinued.

Name:  cf-lg.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  11.7 KB

With the FR305, I used the Garmin Training Center application to download the information from the GPS unit onto my computer. Training Center may have lacked a lot of bells and whistles, but it did what I needed it to do.

One feature I am looking for is support for applications that store the information on my computer, rather than in "the cloud".

Unfortunately, Garmin has discontinued Training Center in favor of its on-line application, Garmin Connect:

Benefits of switching from Garmin Training Center to Garmin Connect

Training Center development has been discontinued for MAC and Windows as Garmin continues to focus on its unrivaled successor, Garmin Connect.

Garmin Connect offers many new, unparalleled features:
    Many of their "features" are exactly what I do not want.

This past January a university student discovered that a global public fitness tracker map could be used to discern highly sensitive security information about the locations and movements of military, intelligence and other government personnel near highly security sensitive facilities. The source? The fitness trackers that have exploded in popularity and that many militaries actually even encourage their soldiers to wear, inadvertently broadcasting their classified locations and patterns of life to the public. Diving deeper, that same map and others like it can be used to retrieve the actual real-world names of individuals that can be tied back to their LinkedIn and Facebook accounts and even used to identify their home address by looking at where their jogging runs begin and end.

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevle...n-the-shadows/
    I'm not a secret squirrel, and if somebody wants to find me it wouldn't be difficult at all. But I feel no need to leak more information than necessary by putting GPS tracks of my runs and bike rides from and to my house on the internet.

So, does anybody know of a fitness GPS, or an application that works with fitness GPS units, that download the recorded data onto a local computer, rather than to an on-line site?

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    I'm not aware of one.

That said, at least with Garmin Connect, you can control what is seen publicly. As far as I know, even then, what you share is only visible to your "connections" unless you send someone a link to a specific activity ("Hey look at how I crushed this run!"). I just checked one of my activities and you can also set per-activity security settings.

Where most people seem to get into trouble is with activity brag sites like Strava. You CAN see total strangers' activities (called flybys when their activity coincides with yours). Stay away from Strava and configure Garmin Connect to share very little by default and you should be ok. Don't forget to take off the activity tracker when you're doing anything remotely sensitive.

FWIW, I've had the Garmin VivoSmart since it first hit the market. I'm lukewarm over it. Battery life is terrible and it can be good one day, then burn through the battery the next even if you're just wearing it like a watch. I've started power it down between activities unless it's sitting on a charger. Speaking of the charger, it's a stupid cradle design. The display sucks too. The one good thing about it is how it integrates with a number of accessories. I have the heart rate monitor (chest strap), speed sensor for my bike, step monitor for treadmill running (running on a treadmill without it requires your arm to move consistently), and a temp sensor (least useful of the bunch, don't bother). It does gather a ton of info that can be useful from a training perspective.

Chris

I've had a TomTom Multisport for several years and really like it. The battery life is excellent, seems to sync up to GPS much quicker than my old Garmin, and the support software gives useful metrics.

I’ve been using a Garmin Fenix 5x for the last 6 months and have been very pleased with both it and the Garmin software. I’ve been stepping up my fitness lately and the Garmin stuff is pretty user friendly. The Fenix 5x heart rate and GPS features work really well m and it has enough add on widgets/apps to fit most needs.

If you’re on the Apple train, which I 100% am (he said typing this on his iPad while checking his iphone for sweet memes), then I heartily recommend the Apple Watch. It’s...pretty dope so far.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    If you’re on the Apple train, which I 100% am (he said typing this on his iPad while checking his iphone for sweet memes), then I heartily recommend the Apple Watch. It’s...pretty dope so far.
    -- Full concur. I do not share the OP's persec concern; I'm sure that shit's up there on the cloud. However, I do trust Apple more than say Garmin or FitBit to protect that information -- Apple is as good as the big boys get about security.

I am a Garmin, um, user but not necessarily a fan. If you really want to dive down the gear review rabbit hole on this, I’d point you to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ which is pretty exhaustive.

What’s wrong with your 305? They have problems with sweat/salt intrusion, that can be remedied with a good cleaning. An iPod battery can be installed if you need a new one. Mine was fixed up at a local phone store for $70.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Rolex/Patek guy here...

There are no benefits to an apple “watch”.

That is all......

Also I don’t need GPS to tell me I smoked a kettlebell, deadlift or pull up session.

Maybe I’m just an old fart.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Rolex/Patek guy here...

There are no benefits to an apple “watch”.

That is all......

Also I don’t need GPS to tell me I smoked a kettlebell, deadlift or pull up session.

Maybe I’m just an old fart.
    Nice humble brag! Shessh, as if a Rolex or Patek is at all related to the intent of the OP.

Let's see your Rolex/Patek track your pace over a 5k or 10k (or longer), track and record your heart rate, record temps during your activity, calculate elevation changes, alert you when you're going over or below your pace goals, then compare that to previous efforts.

Chris

User Tag List