Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Survival of the Richest"

The thrust of the article doesn't surprise me. I mean, when you have all the money in the world and have always been able to afford to do your own dirty work...it stands to reason that you will try to contract out your dirty work if some "event" were to happen. But, I also tend to think that money alone has never been able to buy loyalty, or more importantly...integrity.

The only way I could see it working would be if the CEO Dude were to build the "complex" with security who were family men, and room was made for families as well...and they would have to have a decent level of comfort too. You would have to foster loyalty over time before an "event", so the security would have to be in place and treated well long beforehand.

Other wise...all the worst imaginable things could and would happen.

IMHO
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

The richest people and the wisest ones are seldom the same...

What are these rich men afraid of?

Revelation 6:15-17 - 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    What are these rich men afraid of?

Revelation 6:15-17 - 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?
    Discomfort. Inconvenience. Loss Of Personal Power and Prestige.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

Compare and contrast the attitudes of the hedge fund mangers in the Medium article -- "They were not interested in how to avoid a calamity; they’re convinced we are too far gone. For all their wealth and power, they don’t believe they can affect the future." -- to Silicon Valley tech billionaires -- "The tech preppers do not necessarily think a collapse is likely...They consider it a remote event, but one with a very severe downside, so, given how much money they have, spending a fraction of their net worth to hedge against this ... is a logical thing to do." -- in the Business Insider article below.

Silicon Valley Billionaires Are Preparing For The Apocalypse With Motorcycles, Guns, And Private Hideaways

Melia Robinson
    Business Insider
    January 23, 2017

The Silicon Valley elite may be among the most active — and potentially successful — doomsday preppers, according to a riveting new essay in The New Yorker.

Leaders of industry from Silicon Valley to Wall Street are joining the survivalism movement, The New Yorker's Evan Osnos writes. That list includes Steve Huffman, cofounder and CEO of Reddit; Marvin Liao, a former Yahoo executive and a partner at 500 Startups; and Robert A. Johnson, a managing director of hedge fund Soros Fund Management.

Reid Hoffman, the cofounder of LinkedIn and a notable venture capitalist, told the New Yorker he estimates more than 50% of Silicon Valley billionaires have bought some level of "apocalypse insurance," like an underground bunker.
    But billionaires are channeling their inner Bear Grylls for a number of reasons. Hoffman told The New Yorker that some rich people fear a backlash against Silicon Valley as artificial intelligence takes away an increasing number of jobs from humans. The CEO of a large tech company cited Russian cyberattacks as evidence of risk that the US might fall into disorder.
    Huffman, the Reddit CEO, who lives in San Francisco, bought a couple of motorcycles, guns, and ammo, so that he can "hole up in my house for some amount of time" in case of a disaster. In 2015, he had laser eye surgery because he thought it would improve his odds of surviving.
    In an interview with The New Yorker, Hoffman, the billionaire LinkedIn cofounder, recalled a time when he thought of visiting New Zealand, and a friend asked him if he planned to buy apocalypse insurance. The small island nation has become a top destination for preppers.

"Saying you're 'buying a house in New Zealand' is kind of a wink, wink, say no more.
    "The tech preppers do not necessarily think a collapse is likely," Yishan Wong, an early Facebook employee and the former CEO of Reddit, told The New Yorker. "They consider it a remote event, but one with a very severe downside, so, given how much money they have, spending a fraction of their net worth to hedge against this ... is a logical thing to do."
    complete article at https://www.businessinsider.com/sili...reppers-2017-1
    Last edited by BCG; 07-23-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Once there is an apocalypse, being a rich transplant from the USA will mean nothing as your assets are meaningless. The native NZ folks will consider you disposable and a burden.

Bunkers for the rich are ridiculous. They are just target rich centers of resources. Call them the Maginot Millionaire Class.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hey, if it turns out that the lights are still on afterward, try to find me so we can hang out and make fun of everyone.
    Oh, definitely.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Once there is an apocalypse, being a rich transplant from the USA will mean nothing as your assets are meaningless. The native NZ folks will consider you disposable and a burden.

Bunkers for the rich are ridiculous. They are just target rich centers of resources. Call them the Maginot Millionaire Class.
    Very true.. Myself I think that those who have a needed skill will do well, by that I mean, plumbers, electrictians, carpenters, etc, people who can farm using horses, these are the folks who have a better chance, than say, some bureacrat, who only knows, rules, laws, and why you should'nt do that because he knows better. Typically, these types of folks can't change a tire on their car because they have no clue how. In a bad enough situation, I'd guess everyone would revert to the barter system, as dollar bills would be toilet paper, people would be willing to trade services for goods, possibly for gold or sliver as well.

Site Supporter
    It would take awhile for some modicum of civilization to make gold and silver worthwhile assets. They are luxury items. Lots of paper money for toilet paper would be more valuable. I've read of folks trading what would be fortunes in gold and jewelry for food in wartime.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It would take awhile for some modicum of civilization to make gold and silver worthwhile assets. They are luxury items. Lots of paper money for toilet paper would be more valuable. I've read of folks trading what would be fortunes in gold and jewelry for food in wartime.
    Kipling had the right of it 120 years ago.

"But when it comes to slaughter
    You will do your work on water,
    An' you'll lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it."
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List