Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting a CZ Shadow 2

Site Supporter

Anyone shooting a CZ Shadow 2

So I have the urge for a new gun. I also plan on starting to shoot USPSA. I really like the Shadow 2 after handling one. I know there's an old thread, just wondering if anyone is shooting/competing with one? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    So I have the urge for a new gun. I also plan on starting to shoot USPSA. I really like the Shadow 2 after handling one. I know there's an old thread, just wondering if anyone is shooting/competing with one? Thoughts?
    They're really popular at matches

Paging @Clusterfrack

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I have two, that I bought new this spring. Both are a delight to shoot. The Shadow 2 is too heavy for USPSA CO without having metal removed, like by CZ Custom. Both of mine were unreliable and required a 3-4 week return visit to CZ USA for repairs.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I bought one to shoot USPSA and 3-Gun. I had been shooting a G-19 in those same games. It’s awesome. The da/sa transition hasn’t been a problem. It is astonishingly accurate. It weighs a ton.

I set it up pretty much the way Clusterfrack mentioned in that older thread; 13# hammer spring, 11.5# recoil, extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring. Nothing has been polished and I don’t feel like it needs to be. It sets off CCI, Winchester, and Magtech primers without any problems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have two, that I bought new this spring. Both are a delight to shoot. The Shadow 2 is too heavy for USPSA CO without having metal removed, like by CZ Custom. Both of mine were unreliable and required a 3-4 week return visit to CZ USA for repairs.
    The base guns were unreliable or after milling for CO?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    The base guns were unreliable or after milling for CO?
    Both pistols were unreliable new out of the box. I got one and loved it, but it was unreliable, and CZ USA said six weeks for repair. So I got a second, for while I was waiting, and darned the second one was also unreliable, same problem as the first. The good news is CZ turned each pistol in just over three weeks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm surprised that you had problems, I've only heard and seen good things. I sort of expected some level of decreased reliability with the shadow 2 versus other guns so personally skipped on it.

Shadow 2s are generally good to go. Cheby, Clusterfrack, myself and others mentioned and not mentioned in this thread have run them pretty problem free. Some of us have earlier versions that have had frame failures happen, and Cheby did get one of those instances happen. I am slightly over 10K on mine, so far so good. GJM has a couple of newer frames that gave him problems; then again, GJM has been a shit magnet as it comes to problematic CZs lately...

Personally, I don't love the gun but I do like it. I do think it would've been a better gun with a lighter front end and less heavy nose balance. I've not shot anything that shoots one static target better but I still struggle stopping that mass on a spot during transitions. Getting a second slide lightened for CO, will see how that goes.

I have 3 shadow 2s. Over 50k through. Never had any single malfunction. My first gun was the earlier production. The block that holds the slide stop broke after 36k rds. CZ modified the block about a year ago. They replaced my first gun in three weeks under the warranty. In my opinion it's the best Production gun these days. It's heavy which is actually great. You do have to address the weight practicing transitions and gun handling in general.
    Last edited by cheby; 07-22-2018 at 12:15 AM.

User Tag List