Thread: Accuracy of ammo

Accuracy of ammo

Background: I was at a range shooting with a few buddies. We shot from 3, 7, 10, 15 and 20 yards. I found that I kept with them upto 10 yards. After that my groups diverged to the left. I blamed myself for having bad trigger control. But when another guy complained about the same, we looked at our ammo. Another friend looked at our S B and said the ammo is inaccurate. He gave his Winchester to my friend and suddenly his groups became much tighter.

Question: How do you guys determine the accuracy of the ammo? And what ammo (in 9mm) is considered reasonably accurate?

I've always found S&B to be accurate over the several thousand I've shot. Same with everyone I know.

Inaccurate would be Federal Champion, where I couldn't get it tighter than 5" at 5 yards, while shooting the next 2 mags of different ammo resulted in groups of less than 2".

Provided a correct sight picture, shots going left, and groups falling apart past 7 yards is more indicative of trigger control issues than ammo. Inaccurate ammo will group large, but it won't just magically shoot left or right.

IME.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thank you. I am going to keep an eye out for trigger control issues for myself. It is really hard to notice while shooting. I may have to come up with a helmet cam rig that records me shooting for analysis afterwards.

Get some dummy rounds and have your buddies load your magazines. If you have a flinch beginning, that's a good way to diagnose it.

Balancing a spent cartridge on your slide while dry firing is another method to teach yourself how to "successfully press the trigger in such a manner as to not disturb your sight picture".

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Get some dummy rounds and have your buddies load your magazines. If you have a flinch beginning, that's a good way to diagnose it.

Balancing a spent cartridge on your slide while dry firing is another method to teach yourself how to "successfully press the trigger in such a manner as to not disturb your sight picture".

I have tried dry firing with a live cartridge on the slide and it didn't slide off at trigger pull. I will try with spent cartridge as it might be more sensitive to little jerk at the end made by jerking the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post

Shouldn't that be on the front sight?

Oops, sorry counselor. Back in 1978 (or was it 1878?) the front sight of our 1911s (or 1973 Colt SSAs) didn't support that.

I do note that my Glocks, M&P40s and Kimber Pros make your suggestion a reality.

User Tag List