Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Light Malfunction Clearing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I think perhaps only in immediately observable cases: a fully closed slide (failure of cartridge to fire, failure to strip new round from magazine) might be resolved more quickly with a TRB, whereas a stovepipe or other more obvious stoppage would dictate the more extensive remediation.

But in the dark one may not be able to determine quickly if the slide is fully closed, so does it might make sense to bypass TRB and go straight to the full clearing procedure?
    The failure to eject ("stovepipe") is much more easily cleared by the TRB, with a port down roll, than anything else. The old methods of wiping cases clear just didn't work across the range of those malfunctions and the many pistols having them. Much of the time you got a bloody hand lac and a feedway stoppage because you wiped the case back INTO the gun instead of off the gun.

As for bypassing TRB, some places teach this and I can see merit in that approach. The thing that keeps me from fully going there is that TRB fixes more stoppages than not and so you're in a statistical quandary at that point of which is best. My frame of reference for this is teaching folks that are never going to be above a basic level shooter in both competence and interest (cops). My basic routine is to TRB and if that doesn't work, do the feedway stoppage routine or go to BUG (which most won't carry).

From an institutional approach, it's incumbent on armorers, trainers and supervision to make sure guns, magazines, ammo and maintenance are on the tracks at all times, because in my dark secret heart, I doubt most folks with a stoppage are going to do anything other than stare at it and get whacked by the bad guy they're in a fight with. There was a recent success with my old PD program when they had seven officers shooting at a rifle armed suspect in an apartment. Said asshole had already killed one officer with a shot to the neck and was then in a general exchange with the cops. One of them had a fail to fire stoppage (slide didn't close and lock) and quickly cleared it and got back into the fight. That was gratifying, but I doubt it's the norm to be expected.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    I watched too many shooters fumble malfunctions in day light to get up worked up with low light shenanigans. Wayne hit it on the head. Greg Hamilton taught me to put bungee cord on my surefire 6Ps 20 some years ago. I still do it. It allows me to reload, open doors, use a phone or radio and clear malfunctions with the light in my hand. Granted you have set it up before hand but it works great for police officers responding to a call. I often thought about just teaching to reload because of the lowest 20 percent that refused to improve or try. (They just didn’t care) but I never did because it would cheat the ones that do train and practice. Backup guns, weapon mounted lights, movement to cover all come into play. I took many lessons Army infantry to police work. Extra flashlights, I had two micro lights 550 corded the shoulder straps of my vest. They were under my uniform shirt. The left was a red light; the right was a white light. I also had a back up gun and a whistle. I am getting off topic but one year at night fire we had each officer assemble their 1911 in the dark and then fire. It didn’t go well. Too many could not do it and quit trying. I never understood that . There are no overs in a fight

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The failure to eject ("stovepipe") is much more easily cleared by the TRB, with a port down roll, than anything else. The old methods of wiping cases clear just didn't work across the range of those malfunctions and the many pistols having them. Much of the time you got a bloody hand lac and a feedway stoppage because you wiped the case back INTO the gun instead of off the gun.

As for bypassing TRB, some places teach this and I can see merit in that approach. The thing that keeps me from fully going there is that TRB fixes more stoppages than not and so you're in a statistical quandary at that point of which is best. My frame of reference for this is teaching folks that are never going to be above a basic level shooter in both competence and interest (cops). My basic routine is to TRB and if that doesn't work, do the feedway stoppage routine or go to BUG (which most won't carry).

From an institutional approach, it's incumbent on armorers, trainers and supervision to make sure guns, magazines, ammo and maintenance are on the tracks at all times, because in my dark secret heart, I doubt most folks with a stoppage are going to do anything other than stare at it and get whacked by the bad guy they're in a fight with. There was a recent success with my old PD program when they had seven officers shooting at a rifle armed suspect in an apartment. Said asshole had already killed one officer with a shot to the neck and was then in a general exchange with the cops. One of them had a fail to fire stoppage (slide didn't close and lock) and quickly cleared it and got back into the fight. That was gratifying, but I doubt it's the norm to be expected.
    Tracking 100% on the bold print.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-21-2018 at 10:57 AM.

As for bypassing TRB, some places teach this and I can see merit in that approach. The thing that keeps me from fully going there is that TRB fixes more stoppages than not and so you're in a statistical quandary at that point of which is best.
    Thank you, exactly what I was looking for!

Also agree 100% on knowing one's equipment, from both a functional and maintenance POV. I suspect like many here, I spend plenty of time and effort on both.

I learned / taught it essentially Wayne's way with zero emphasis on low light techniques...but...I do have a question...assuming you have a light in your hand, what do you teach folks to do with it while applying immediate(TRB) or remedial action?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    ...assuming you have a light in your hand, what do you teach folks to do with it while applying immediate(TRB) or remedial action?
    I use finger lanyards on my carry lights, with break-away connectors;

Since I took these photos, I have lengthened the lanyards a touch so no need to move to the back of the hand - I simply let go of the light and do what I have to do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I learned / taught it essentially Wayne's way with zero emphasis on low light techniques...but...I do have a question...assuming you have a light in your hand, what do you teach folks to do with it while applying immediate(TRB) or remedial action?
    Depends on the light and any lanyard arrangement. If the light is attached via a lanyard, simply let go of the light and conduct the clearance business. Recover the light as needed. If it's not due to size or because of no lanyard, I stow it in my gun side arm pit, light off and bezel to the rear. The gun arm should be providing tension to keep it in your arm pit. Conduct clearance, recover light (or not) and get back to business. If you're operating with a small light, such as a Surefire, etc., you can stick it in a support side pocket also.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Depends on the light and any lanyard arrangement. If the light is attached via a lanyard, simply let go of the light and conduct the clearance business. Recover the light as needed. If it's not due to size or because of no lanyard, I stow it in my gun side arm pit, light off and bezel to the rear. The gun arm should be providing tension to keep it in your arm pit. Conduct clearance, recover light (or not) and get back to business. If you're operating with a small light, such as a Surefire, etc., you can stick it in a support side pocket also.
    I had to work this out using a GI "L" shaped light years ago and came to the same conclusion...under my arm. I also have a concern about tucking it into a pocket. With my luck, it would come on and light me up like a billboard. I guess a covered tail-cap might reduce the chances though?

I assume you guys have tried the various methods of conducting weapon manipulations while still holding onto the light?
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-21-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Since I took these photos, I have lengthened the lanyards a touch so no need to move to the back of the hand - I simply let go of the light and do what I have to do.

Holy cow, do you have grizzly bear DNA?

Site Supporter
    I’m pretty sure you posted it in the past, but where did you get the breakaway connectors?

User Tag List