Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big Lebowski

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I didn't think much of this movie the first time I saw it. Each time I've watched it since I like it better.

Anybody else react the same way?
    My perspective is as an Ex-Leftist (I got your identity politics right here. Holy shit that is terrible to say. Better than a current one at least.) Anyway, I used to love The Big Lebowski. It's still amusing enough I guess. I watch it and like it less and less though. The philosophies behind it are garbage to me now.

Here is what I think now:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

There's nothing wrong with liking the movie if you like it. America is about a system and general countenance of free will. You like what you like. I will not hate you for it. That's a simple way with which to recognize the left is wrong.
    Lord of the Food Court

I love the freedom and life-loving people of the world. The Big Lebowski makes light of nihilism, but it ultimately is representative of a nihilist and misanthropic philosophy. (I get you Misanthropist and I love you, this is not about you.)
    Lord of the Food Court

I just purchased tickets for the August 5Th showing.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The first time I saw TBL, I didn’t get it. When I made the connection that it was based on Raymond Chandler’s, “The Big Sleep,” it made more sense.

When I made the mental jump, thanks to my liberal arts degree (REGARDS TO GONZAGA UNIVERSITY...GO BULLDOGS!) I gained the skill to appreciate film as an art form, and not attempt to squeeze, “answers,” (at least in a concrete way) from film, I began to appreciate the film even more. Much can also be said about Kubrick films.

I’ve always said that my ultimate scene would be to own/operate a high-end, small scale bowling alley AND theatre complex, where I could show the films I enjoy, that others might like too, and bowl when I want to. I appreciate the Zen quality of bowling, and much like shooting, there is a path to perfection (the 300 game...then the series of 300 games) that is attainable, but requires basic concepts executed repeatedly with skill.

Sorry to get kinda out there, but I think @Sidheshooter catches my drift here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc, I've always said that if I won the lottery, one of the first things I'd build/acquire - would be a small theatre. A bowling alley is a great addition. Scary when we're thinking alike, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I love the freedom and life-loving people of the world. The Big Lebowski makes light of nihilism, but it ultimately is representative of a nihilist and misanthropic philosophy. (I get you Misanthropist and I love you, this is not about you.)

It's a parody of film noir, specifically Chandler. In the same way The Hudsucker Proxy is a parody of several 1940s films. Don't overthink them.

And here's another film clip for you.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    My perspective is as an Ex-Leftist (I got your identity politics right here. Holy shit that is terrible to say. Better than a current one at least.) Anyway, I used to love The Big Lebowski. It's still amusing enough I guess. I watch it and like it less and less though. The philosophies behind it are garbage to me now.

Here is what I think now:

Just don't roll on shabbos and you'll be fine.

(I used to love the orthodox walking up to me on a Saturday in NYC and asking me if I was Jewish or not so that I might help by turning on the lights for them. I mean, if you have to go to that length and actually don't think God would feel you were trying to con him by bypassing the spirit of the law...what's the point? Fortunately for me, I'm a lapsed everything and have no such compunctions or religious restrictions.)
    Last edited by blues; 07-23-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ll be drinking my Gabe White Russian in this before hitting the theater:

Last edited by Totem Polar; 07-23-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Sorry to crap on anyone's loved movie. I still like it. I've been full of philosophical tumult and change for a long time now - and last night, some whiskeys too lol.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 07-23-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added smiley face
    Lord of the Food Court

The Big Lebowski

I have tried to watch TBL any number of times.

I think as filmmakers the Coens usually hit the mark but in my humble opinion, TBL is better as a collection of YouTube clips than an actual film. Which may be the point; I am an illiterate Philistine when it comes to the cinema.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-23-2018 at 03:49 PM.

User Tag List